Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times

Advertisements

How much do you think CA spends on the healthcare of illegals? Somebody has to pay for that.

It's not unlike Obamacare where they really believed the younger folks would subsidize the sick older people, only younger folks who didn't have insurance through work and were older than 26 opted to pay the fine instead of the high exchange rates. So what did they do? They never lowered the interest on student loans and used much of that to pour into Obamacare.

People who cannot afford it, aren't going to suddenly find it. They'll opt to pay the fine.

That's what I think is going on in CA - I have no idea about the other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
If you can't afford to pay $500,000+ for cancer treatment (what mine cost in 2011 when I was 23), then you can't afford to be without health insurance.

For those who think they "don't need" health insurance, who do they think will pay if they develop cancer or are in a catastrophic car accident? The state, mine included, isn't stepping in to make sure you have health insurance for yourself - they're stepping in so you don't saddle the taxpayers with your bill.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,825,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
These states do not trust their own citizens to run their own lives. They believe that they need to make financial decisions for them. Sad part is it will not affect the rich, or even the majority of the middle class who all can afford health insurance, it will affect those poor and lower middle class people that can not afford health insurance who need the money for other life expenses. There's a walk-in type center in my area that charges a $30 monthly fee on an annual basis for people without insurance. Included is 1 annual check up, sick visits, a flu shot, prescriptions + refills. This is so much more affordable than health insurance and the fee for not having it for poor people.
Yet living in a red state I'll go to jail for 10 years for possessing a natural plant because Jesus.

Republicans don't trust people to run their own lives either. That's why they are intent on forcing fundamentalist Christianity on everyone.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:24 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,522,850 times
Since things need to be repeated to several before it has a chance to sink in.

Here's a wake up call. We ALL pay for those who have no health insurance and yet use the hospitals as a doctors office.
Many hospitals have closed cause there is no reimbursement without insurance.
Hospitals can't turn the uninsured away.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,190,615 times
Quote:
These states do not trust their own citizens to run their own lives. They believe that they need to make financial decisions for them. Sad part is it will not affect the rich, or even the majority of the middle class who all can afford health insurance, it will affect those poor and lower middle class people that can not afford health insurance who need the money for other life expenses. There's a walk-in type center in my area that charges a $30 monthly fee on an annual basis for people without insurance. Included is 1 annual check up, sick visits, a flu shot, prescriptions + refills. This is so much more affordable than health insurance and the fee for not having it for poor people.
That is what Medicaid is for but many of the Red states cut back. Fight that. As for non-poor people not paying their own way, I think they should NOT receive medical care if they refuse to pay for insurance. Individual responsibility is the foundation of the Republican Party, yes?

In an ideal world we'd be like the rest of the civilized world but until then we will continue to see Americans suffer.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,116,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I am kinda shocked that 9 states are thinking about forcing a individual mandate on people for healthcare..
Just shocked. They must really feel the need to care for ya.. LOL
9 states considering individual mandate rules: report | TheHill

This is a fantastic idea,

Hopefully, those that are opposed to this plan will begin to vote accordingly.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Since things need to be repeated to several before it has a chance to sink in.

Here's a wake up call. We ALL pay for those who have no health insurance and yet use the hospitals as a doctors office.
Many hospitals have closed cause there is no reimbursement without insurance.
Hospitals can't turn the uninsured away.
One way or the other, we all pay for those who don't have health insurance.

And we all pay for those who don't have health care.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Got to love public health clinics. We need more of them.

Can't imagine how $30/month would cover insulin, but perhaps they've been able to negotiate the costs down from from $400/month.

How about if you break a leg? That's not typically handled in a walk-in clinic. Where do people go for this?

How about rotator cuff surgery, heart attacks, breast cancer treatment, birthing babies, NICU expenses ... how are these high ticket items paid for?
Does anyone have an answer for this?

Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,244,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yet living in a red state I'll go to jail for 10 years for possessing a natural plant because Jesus.

Republicans don't trust people to run their own lives either. That's why they are intent on forcing fundamentalist Christianity on everyone.
Yep growing opium and coca leaves and other natural plants can get you in trouble.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,527,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Massachusetts has mandated a minimum level of insurance coverage since 2006.

Maryland, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Minnesota, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, and the District of Columbia are all considering similar proposals, according a report in the WSJ.

Hard to imagine the well-to-do fleeing these states over everyone having health insurance. But maybe some will. Who knows?

What I do know is that low-income people will haul themselves to these states when they need health care.

The less fortunate have been trekking to Minnesota for years to get health care and dental treatment. Some are sent by county social workers.

I worked on Crisis Response Teams in Minnesota. I cannot tell you how many times we were called to the bus depot to deal with an individual or a family that showed up with no money and nowhere to go. They will state that they needed care that they couldn't get in their state and that their case manager arranged for bus tickets so they could get it in Minnesota.

After a brief waiting period, these unfortunate people "seeking services" were eligible for all the health care as well as other social services that Minnesota provided for residents.

Fortunately, people in Minnesota have a big heart.

Hopefully, people in other states will as well.
You are a very nice person to have worked in that field. It is a tuff job.

A big heart, maybe, but a bigger open pocket book for taxes
Minnesota is one of the highest taxed state.
And outsiders know this thus Social Workers send then here. And people come on there own.

In general people do not mind helping out, but it is taken advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies