Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:24 AM

37,185 posts, read 19,247,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Amazon pays better than Hobby Lobby.

Better benefits too.
Not to mention more religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, I knew some people that worked at an Amazon distribution center in KY, they all said it was horrible place to work, they have quotas that are unrealistic and yes, they even time bathroom breaks!!

Another thing Amazon does, if you quit and do not give exactly 2 weeks notice, your last paycheck will be dropped down to minimum wage for the hours they owe you!!! This alone tells me LOTS of people quit suddenly on them and they had to come up a way to save money on this, seems like it must be pretty bad if they had to institute this kind of rule!

Apparently though, its only the distribution center workers that treated like this, the office staff, even those freshly hired, say they love the working conditions.
I'm wondering if some of the worst problems are in states with lax labor law? In most states what you described would be against the law, no employer would ever try it. You can't just reduce wages retroactively, I'm wondering if Kentucky law actually allows for that?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm wondering if some of the worst problems are in states with lax labor law? In most states what you described would be against the law, no employer would ever try it. You can't just reduce wages retroactively, I'm wondering if Kentucky law actually allows for that?
Im not sure if they still do this, but I know for a fact they were doing it about 4 yrs ago.

I think it really shows what a terrible place it is to work at, if they needed to create a rule like this, they must have a serious problem with people quitting on the spot. That doesnt normally happen at good places to work.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,040,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Not quite sure what your point is, but if you think Amazon grew to the monster it is with only "liberal" customers, you are very wrong. Unless you can provide some solid statistics, I think this is just BS.
Of course it's BS. Also, it is the far RIGHT who loves unaccountable big businesses and "letting business do whatever they want."

It is the RIGHT who wants no regulation

It is the RIGHT who wants lousy wages for all, and even no minimum wage

It is the RIGHT who wants horrible working conditions.

So, the OP is completely and laughably wrong to try to claim "liberals" support these policies, and he is outright denying facts if he thinks only "liberals" order from Amazon.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Of course it's BS. Also, it is the far RIGHT who loves unaccountable big businesses and "letting business do whatever they want."

So, the OP is completely and laughably wrong to try to claim "liberals" support these policies, and he is outright denying facts if he thinks only "liberals" order from Amazon.
And I don't think it's at all clear that Bezos is a liberal.

Like so many tech billionaires, Bezos is attracted to right-libertarian politics.

"Jeff Bezos: Amazon’s founder has never talked publicly about his political beliefs, but his friends described him as a libertarian in a March 2012 profile. He has skipped 18 of the last 21 elections, according to Envision Seattle, but he has given money to anti-tax initiatives in the past. He also gave $2.5 million to a same-sex marriage effort in Washington state." The Political Leanings of Silicon Valley

Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/amazon...hristmas-rush/

I guess for those brutal conditions they are offering a whopping $12 an hour in Irvine, California

Interesting, how liberals condemn Dollar Stores but yet I heavily doubt they as brutal of working conditions as Amazon does.

https://search.amazondelivers.jobs/j...a/3413/6963198

Wow, $240 a week in Orange County is what Amazon Prime is offering for their "Prime Now Associates".

Love how Amazon puts such a hip twist on a $12 wage in Orange County, California. Up to 20 hours a week also wow!

Wonder how many Amazon employees have earned-income tax credits, food stamps, WIC and other programs despite reputation as a compassionate organization like Amazon.

I love how Amazon is so beloved by liberals, based in the most liberal of cities. I wonder how many of those corporate employees at their headquarters in Seattle vote for only Democrats or politicians who want to increase it to $15 while sortation associate classified show pay of $12 in Orange County, California.
Yet it's liberals who have continually bemoaned the working conditions at Amazon.

There is a kitty kat on this forum who is busy telling everyone how GREAT Amazon is to work for and what a high wage they pay. Pretty sure said cat isn't a liberal.

Your thread is BS. As usual.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 AM

37,953 posts, read 17,893,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

The comments from the OP are every bit as absurd as your comments in this post. congrats.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It does. How much corporations pay is based on supply and demand. If you have a surplus of workers; you can pay less and get away with it. If you are competing for workers; you have to pay more. So if you flood the labor market with illegal immigrants, even if they do not work at Amazon, they still adversely affect the pay in any region. Even excessive legal immigration hurts American workers. I also understand that we have many Republicans that bark up the same tree.

To me one of the worst practices that I have heard about at Amazon and Walmart distribution centers is their 20 hour work week. Let's say you work 20 hours at $12/hr; that is $240/week. In Southern CA the average cost to keep a car on the road was about $.61/mile in 2015. So the companies have you driving the same distance as a 40 hour/week job for half the money. Depending on how far you live from work; this can really bite into small paychecks. I always liked four 10 hour days because it cut out one trip a week and I had a three day weekend.

As far as hard jobs; one of my first jobs was unloading chemicals from boxcars back in the early 1970's. We would unload up to three boxcars a day with 80,000 pounds of 100 pound bags and that was before they started putting the bags on slip pallets. It was a two man crew and many days I lifted 120,000 pounds - my share of the 240,000 pounds. The temperature in a brown boxcars would soar well over 100 degrees in the summer months. I never had to worry about gaining weight. Every job since that job has been easy!
sigh Companies do not have drivers drive the same distance when working 20 hours and 40 hours. One drives less in a 20 hour work week since the amount of driving is based on the route and not how many hours one works. How in the world did you ever come up with this?
Here's a hint. Work somewhere else unless all one wants is part time. I know that drivers who work for Amazon and Walmart work over 20 hours.
Are you going to tell me that a bunch of illegals are driving for Amazon? Without a license? Or do they work other types of jobs? Your example isn't reality. How could they do that?
That said, I fully understand supply and demand. I want to stop all immigration until Americans are taken care of. At a minimum don't give them welfare. That'll reduce immigration quite a bit.

If it's a liberal thing then why this statement? "I also understand that we have many Republicans that bark up the same tree." Maybe progressive is the term you're looking for? More government involvement.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, I knew some people that worked at an Amazon distribution center in KY, they all said it was horrible place to work, they have quotas that are unrealistic and yes, they even time bathroom breaks!!

Another thing Amazon does, if you quit and do not give exactly 2 weeks notice, your last paycheck will be dropped down to minimum wage for the hours they owe you!!! This alone tells me LOTS of people quit suddenly on them and they had to come up a way to save money on this, seems like it must be pretty bad if they had to institute this kind of rule!

Apparently though, its only the distribution center workers that treated like this, the office staff, even those freshly hired, say they love the working conditions.
Doesn't sound right. If one doesn't finish the route that day I can see it but just for that day. The pay is based on finishing a project.
Working hourly I do not believe your wages can be retro actively lowered for work you've already done.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
So should assembly line work allow "no limit" bathroom breaks? That would be weird because 20-30 minutes could be excused with "I have some problems down there".......do that a couple times a day and it becomes a real problem.

If one has irritable bowel syndrome or has to pee bad every 30 minutes they probably don't want any assembly line work. Work should fit into the workers lifestyle.

I doubt many of the lower end Amazon workers are in it for a career.

It's also not really an exception to the rule. Heck, the folks at Dunkin Donuts have to serve vast numbers of customers continually lined up. A lot of assembly line work and retail work is like this.

That's why I vowed...after a few experiences....never to work for anyone. I was able to keep this promise to myself, which surely improved my life experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies