Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 PM

800 posts, read 508,600 times

Advertisements

Warehouse workers, like many blue collar jobs, are underappreciated, underpaid, and overworked. Amazon IS really bad for that, but its far from the only one. The average warehouse employee works a lot harder than some person in an office(especially a government office), but gets paid terrible in comparison. We can thank the constant importation of cheap labor from third world countries for that. Supply and demand. More workers looking for jobs = less pay.

Plain and simple; If you are in favor of third world low skill immigration, then you are very much IN FAVOR of supressing wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 11:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
OK at least you're consistent, but I still think it's rare that liberals are. I avoid Amazon partly for the same reason but mostly because it's owned by liberal/progressive/globalist I can't stand.
what exactly makes Jeff Bezos liberal? give specifics .

Old 02-10-2018, 11:20 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Warehouse workers, like many blue collar jobs, are underappreciated, underpaid, and overworked. Amazon IS really bad for that, but its far from the only one. The average warehouse employee works a lot harder than some person in an office(especially a government office), but gets paid terrible in comparison. We can thank the constant importation of cheap labor from third world countries for that. Supply and demand. More workers looking for jobs = less pay.
It's not just immigration that causes less pay. Most of these type of jobs require little actual skillset. Picking items, putting them in boxes and sealing a box doesn't require more than a day's worth of training. Same thing with retail. If they quit, it's easy to replace them.

Someone in an office most likely has a 4-year college degree (or significant background working up the ladder). I'm a Salesforce / email marketing Admin at my job (IT). I had a coworker leave for a different company. Took us almost half a year to find a replacement. Most people who we interviewed just didn't have the experience needed, and it wasn't a position that we could just teach someone from scratch.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
It's not just immigration that causes less pay. Most of these type of jobs require little actual skillset. Picking items, putting them in boxes and sealing a box doesn't require more than a day's worth of training. Same thing with retail. If they quit, it's easy to replace them.

Someone in an office most likely has a 4-year college degree (or significant background working up the ladder). I'm a Salesforce / email marketing Admin at my job (IT). I had a coworker leave for a different company. Took us almost half a year to find a replacement. Most people who we interviewed just didn't have the experience needed, and it wasn't a position that we could just teach someone from scratch.
See I would question that. If you cannot teach it that is on you. Otherwise no one would have that skill set as it would be unteachable.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:30 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Thing is, Amazon is a business. They look to minimize costs and maximize profits, just like every other successful business. I can't fault them for that.

What is hypocritical is the people that attack Walmart for their pay and working conditions, claiming "corporate welfare" when an entry level unskilled worker has 3 kids and qualifies for SNAP. Amazon is far more demanding of their workers, pays comparable wages and has the same issues with employees on SNAP. Yet those same people will ignore Amazon since the owner is a left-wing icon.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thing is, Amazon is a business. They look to minimize costs and maximize profits, just like every other successful business. I can't fault them for that.

What is hypocritical is the people that attack Walmart for their pay and working conditions, claiming "corporate welfare" when an entry level unskilled worker has 3 kids and qualifies for SNAP. Amazon is far more demanding of their workers, pays comparable wages and has the same issues with employees on SNAP. Yet those same people will ignore Amazon since the owner is a left-wing icon.
Who is ignoring? This thread is a classic straw man argument, liberals or conservative do not support or not support Amazon. Same thing can be said for Walmart.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

when did bezos become a left wing icon ?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
$12 an hour in Irvine can't even buy you a free glass of water.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I thought this was interesting.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/500423...ng-conditions/

Photos of dirty toilets, CCTV cameras and timed bathroom breaks at Amazon warehouses.
Yes, I knew some people that worked at an Amazon distribution center in KY, they all said it was horrible place to work, they have quotas that are unrealistic and yes, they even time bathroom breaks!!

Another thing Amazon does, if you quit and do not give exactly 2 weeks notice, your last paycheck will be dropped down to minimum wage for the hours they owe you!!! This alone tells me LOTS of people quit suddenly on them and they had to come up a way to save money on this, seems like it must be pretty bad if they had to institute this kind of rule!

Apparently though, its only the distribution center workers that treated like this, the office staff, even those freshly hired, say they love the working conditions.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
$12 an hour in Irvine can't even buy you a free glass of water.
You mean, $30 a gallon "natural", untreated water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies