Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 12:17 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Amazon and Bezos are both festering pieces of crap.
He's squeezing everyone. Some kind hearted liberal he is. Amazon has a sweetheart deal with the postal service and they're probably delivering packages for Amazon at a loss. Liberals just pretend to care about Americans' welfare, but their actions belie that .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
More red herrings and semantic. Bezos is the founder, CEO and number one shareholder so that makes it principle owned and ran by him.
It's stellar performance that drives his control of the reins.

Both Facebook and Alphabet are structured with 'supervoting shares' that allow Zuckerberg (FB), and Page, Brin, and (at least in the past) Schmidt (GOOG/GOOGL) to maintain control. Amazon isn't really structured that way. Bezos is by far the largest shareholder (by a ratio of almost 3 to 1 over the largest institutional investor), but he still only owns under 20% of the company.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/amazon...hristmas-rush/

I guess for those brutal conditions they are offering a whopping $12 an hour in Irvine, California

Interesting, how liberals condemn Dollar Stores but yet I heavily doubt they as brutal of working conditions as Amazon does.

https://search.amazondelivers.jobs/j...a/3413/6963198

Wow, $240 a week in Orange County is what Amazon Prime is offering for their "Prime Now Associates".

Love how Amazon puts such a hip twist on a $12 wage in Orange County, California. Up to 20 hours a week also wow!

Wonder how many Amazon employees have earned-income tax credits, food stamps, WIC and other programs despite reputation as a compassionate organization like Amazon.

I love how Amazon is so beloved by liberals, based in the most liberal of cities. I wonder how many of those corporate employees at their headquarters in Seattle vote for only Democrats or politicians who want to increase it to $15 while sortation associate classified show pay of $12 in Orange County, California.
sigh... Nothing to do with Liberals.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
sigh... Nothing to do with Liberals.
It does. How much corporations pay is based on supply and demand. If you have a surplus of workers; you can pay less and get away with it. If you are competing for workers; you have to pay more. So if you flood the labor market with illegal immigrants, even if they do not work at Amazon, they still adversely affect the pay in any region. Even excessive legal immigration hurts American workers. I also understand that we have many Republicans that bark up the same tree.

To me one of the worst practices that I have heard about at Amazon and Walmart distribution centers is their 20 hour work week. Let's say you work 20 hours at $12/hr; that is $240/week. In Southern CA the average cost to keep a car on the road was about $.61/mile in 2015. So the companies have you driving the same distance as a 40 hour/week job for half the money. Depending on how far you live from work; this can really bite into small paychecks. I always liked four 10 hour days because it cut out one trip a week and I had a three day weekend.

As far as hard jobs; one of my first jobs was unloading chemicals from boxcars back in the early 1970's. We would unload up to three boxcars a day with 80,000 pounds of 100 pound bags and that was before they started putting the bags on slip pallets. It was a two man crew and many days I lifted 120,000 pounds - my share of the 240,000 pounds. The temperature in a brown boxcars would soar well over 100 degrees in the summer months. I never had to worry about gaining weight. Every job since that job has been easy!

Old 02-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
I don't use Amazon any more, as firstly they treat their workers like slaves and secondly they are big on tax avoidance.

Amazon paid just £15m in tax on European revenues of £19.5bn - Guardian

Amazon workers working 55-hour weeks and so exhausted by targets they 'fall asleep standing up' | The Independent

Undercover Amazon warehouse pictures show what it's really like to work for online retailer - Metro

Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I know what you mean. Smug white color workers like to say how "unskilled" workers are a dime a dozen and that's all their worth. It's like saying anyone can play basketball so they're not worth much. But not everyone can play it at the pro-level required at many jobs.
You just contradicted yourself. Most unskilled labor doesn't require pro-level anything. Yes, you can become better at your job after being there for awhile, but if you were really a "pro" you'd be irreplaceable and not be paid near minimum wage.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

I love how Amazon is so beloved by liberals, based in the most liberal of cities. I wonder how many of those corporate employees at their headquarters in Seattle vote for only Democrats or politicians who want to increase it to $15 while sortation associate classified show pay of $12 in Orange County, California.

That's chump change out West but around this part it's good money too much money to get food stamps, etc. Amazon is no different then most they all tend to work their employees into the ground this is nothing new.

I have to ask why is this a liberal issue? People of BOTH parties shop and work at Amazon.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
See I would question that. If you cannot teach it that is on you. Otherwise no one would have that skill set as it would be unteachable.
People grow into roles through development of skills throughout the course of their careers. Unless they come in with those skills already developed, a company doesn't have time to give a crash course to someone for a position it takes years of development to master.

Think of it the way you would think of a weight lifter. If a company is hiring someone in a position that requires heavy lifting, you don't hire someone who has worked their way up from lifting 50 lbs to 150 lbs. You're looking for someone who is more developed and can lift 350 lbs. If someone can lift 325 lbs, that's someone you can work with, because you can get them up to speed in a relatively short period of time and you're not taking a huge risk.

Companies can teach a few skills required for a job, and they can train them on company procedures, but to expect a company to teach all or most of the skills needed to do a job is not only unrealistic, it would set the employee up for failure.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/amazon...hristmas-rush/

I guess for those brutal conditions they are offering a whopping $12 an hour in Irvine, California

Interesting, how liberals condemn Dollar Stores but yet I heavily doubt they as brutal of working conditions as Amazon does.

https://search.amazondelivers.jobs/j...a/3413/6963198
You're just now realizing this about Amazon? You're a little late to the party, we've known about them for years.

Maybe you should get out more.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What in the world are you even talking about? "Amazon is so beloved by liberals" where did you get that? Minimum wage in California is $11 Amazon offers starting wage of $12 for what is basically a job that requires few skills, and that is so awful that you had to start a thread about it, really?
Must be a slow day for spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies