Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 AM

8,279 posts, read 3,523,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Everyone has the same opportunity to be excellent and receive scholarships. Everyone has the opportunity to work their way through college. Everyone has the opportunity to go to night school and work a day job or only take as many classes as they can afford. It's called life and it never has been and never will be fair.
No, they do not. I was on the honor roll and received zero scholarships. I did not have opportunity to work through college because the employers refused to hire me. I didn't even want to go to college. I only went to college because no one was willing to hire me and I needed the financial aid money for survival. Can't work a job that isn't offered to you. If you aren't offered a job after filling out the applications then you had no opportunity to work a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Student loans should have a co-signer.
Not really, the dumb students that take out these loans need an education before they do.

As I understand it a student loan is the only loan you can never get away from using bankruptcy.

As I understand it the only thing that can ever garnish your social security benefit is a student loan. Pay attention to that parent co-signers.

But then how smart do you have to be to run up a $50k debt for a bachelors in Social Justice?

A high school classmate of my daughters ran up a six figure, over $100,000, federally insured student loan debt to get her degree in "Theater" from a private college. Last I heard she was literally working at a Starbucks living with mom and dad 7 years after graduation. And her parents co-signed.

I love my children beyond everything but I would never co-sign. I would give them money but not co-sign which takes a very special idiot.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM

57,424 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Why should Public Service have a forgiveness program unless they are having problems attracting employees in certain professions. The medical field allows payment of tuition for those that go to areas of need but what about the others.

Income based loan repayment is not an issue but people who flatly avoid payment is another story. I think they already actively pursue students for non-payment, that loan will follow you to the grave.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM

57,424 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It can still be discharged in bankruptcy if you can prove undue hardship to the judge. It's just extremely hard to do so. If you're going through a bankruptcy anyway it doesn't hurt to at least add it to the case (you have to fill out paperwork for it) and try to get it. Some people actually win their case.
Its pretty rare to demonstrate hardship, I am sure there are some cases but its in the minority. The regulations changed around a decade ago, much more difficult today.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,150,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
No, they do not. I was on the honor roll and received zero scholarships. I did not have opportunity to work through college because the employers refused to hire me. I didn't even want to go to college. I only went to college because no one was willing to hire me and I needed the financial aid money for survival. Can't work a job that isn't offered to you. If you aren't offered a job after filling out the applications then you had no opportunity to work a job.
Ignore that person

I stopped reading after “everyone has the same opportunities” nonsense

They obviously live in an alternative universe

Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,507,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Then why is the unemployment rate for college graduates only 2.1% compared to 4.5% for those who only have a high school diploma?

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm

And, by your standard Mike Pence is a "failure" since he majored in history in college but didn't end up working in a job directly related to his college major.
Unemployment rate for college grads is lower because of what I described in my previous post -- college graduates are higher on the food chain for taking lower level jobs. When two people are applying to get a job as a receptionist -- one with a degree, and one without (assuming all other qualifications are equal) -- guess who gets the job?

I don't know the facts regarding how Mike Pence paid for college, or what his grades/scores were in high school, etc. He may have done well in high school to warrant taking out loans for college, I don't know...

My point is not that kids shouldn't be able to take out loans for college, but that we should be expecting more out of students requesting these loans. Higher GPAs, higher test scores, written recommendations from teachers, etc. These kids should be seen as an investment by taxpayers, if taxpayers are to flip the bill. The nature of investing is that there will always be failures, and that's fine, but our goal should be to minimize those failures.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 AM

981 posts, read 902,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Even state schools are expensive, 25K a year.

You can’t really afford it if you have to take out debt and pay it over 30 years. That’s not Including books and everyday life expenses if you come from a low income family that can’t support you for 4 years in school
Then do 2 years at community college and finish degree at a university - that cuts cost by 50%. If someone is that low incomce they will qualify for Pell grants $5,900, Sallie Mae student loans, and a work study program (I did it with out that much stress, so it can be done) and these students aren’t graduating with a huge amount of debt. And if it is a manageable payment over 30 years, I don’t think it is that big a deal. It took me 20 years to pay off my student loans with a payment under $300 a month - not a showstopper.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

8,279 posts, read 3,523,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That isn't true.

Community College then transfer up...

Cheap online colleges then transfer up...

Live at home and commute to the local college...

People can get a job off campus...

Other scholarships...

Etc....

You have a lot of people who go to an extremely expensive private college to obtain a low paying job...only to have the government forgive that loan for working as a social worker, teacher, etc...

If you are poor don't choose extremely expensive private colleges and then expect the tax payers to pick up half the bill for you after you choose a low paying field.
Minimum wage jobs barely pay for basic expenses, and sometimes don't even do that. You can't pay for community college and universities with it. Not everyone has family that will help them. People coming from abusive childhoods are not safe if they continue to "live at home." Community colleges don't tend to have dorms, so the student would have to go to a college that had affordable housing.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

19,709 posts, read 12,284,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The declining value of a college degree is directly related to the overabundance of college degrees on the job market. You shouldn't need a bachelor's degree to get a job as a receptionist, but that is what's happening across the country in certain areas... too many people with 4-year degrees are applying for these positions, and hiring managers have no choice but to raise the qualifications bar in order to differentiate between the applicants. This situation not only makes it difficult for college graduates to find jobs, but it also screws over the people who didn't go to college, who are a better fit for these types of jobs to begin with.
Smart employers know this. For a receptionist we would more likely hire an older person or a high school/community school grad. There was an opening for a receptionist at a medical office I worked at and one applicant had a masters degree in nothing to do with health care. They hired a woman with a hs diploma who had taken college classes in anatomy and medical transcription. That was a good fit.

I always advise to sharply focus on your goals. Some people just toss a resume wherever there is an opening.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM

981 posts, read 902,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Not really, the dumb students that take out these loans need an education before they do.

As I understand it a student loan is the only loan you can never get away from using bankruptcy.

As I understand it the only thing that can ever garnish your social security benefit is a student loan. Pay attention to that parent co-signers.

But then how smart do you have to be to run up a $50k debt for a bachelors in Social Justice?

A high school classmate of my daughters ran up a six figure, over $100,000, federally insured student loan debt to get her degree in "Theater" from a private college. Last I heard she was literally working at a Starbucks living with mom and dad 7 years after graduation. And her parents co-signed.

I love my children beyond everything but I would never co-sign. I would give them money but not co-sign which takes a very special idiot.
THIS. Every person I know that defaulted on loans went to an expensive private college. Yes, I wanted to go to one too, but thankfully my parents refused to co-signs loans, especially since while these colleges were great - they were not Ivy League, and my parents didn’t feel that there would be the ROI from that $200K “investment”. And they were totally right - it took me a while to get my career going and I was so grateful I could manage the loan payments. And my state university degree has had zero negative impact on my career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies