Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why? Millions of us worked and saved and put ourselves through college. It mighta taken 5 1/2 years instead of 4 but I didn't have any student loans. Seems like a good trade off.
Education and living costs are MUCH HIGHER than they were when I was young. Wages have increased, but COL is through the roof. Full-time college semester at public university was about $400. 1 BR apt near campus was $300/mo. I made $4.25/hr working at Mervyn’s Dept Store. I didn’t earn much, but got by with help from my parents and relatively low costs.- Mid-1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 10:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You mean, people will actually have to pay back their debts? Oh, the outrage.
How many times has he declared bankruptcy, an option not available for student loans?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,038,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Millions of people manage to get through college by, wait for it.....working.

If you want it bad enough there are roommates, fast food jobs and part time work. Total BS someone can't get a degree if they want it. Lame people think they are ENTITLED to other people's money because they are lazy.

If you are that entitled and lazy a degree isn't going to help your work ethic at all.
Is that what YOU did? Or did the First Bank of Dad & Mom finance your Trump University edumacation?
What do those swindlers charge for a year of college now over there? 12k a year? That's a lot of overtime at Maccas! How about making college less outrageous? Nah you silver spooners and Cheeto swooners do NOT want that! The more regular folks that can afford college, the more people who get marketable skills, the less in demand YOU are, the more YOU will actually have to WORK and EARN your pay; no more being overpaid in your ivory towers, smugly judging others.
Affordable college is the last thing you people want!!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
This country is not what our founding fathers had envisioned. We have become a bitter society with hatred against each other. This country was founded by immigrates and now we want to get rid of some of the best and the brightest who contribute to our society. It's just wrong and not the american way

Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,151,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This country is not what our founding fathers had envisioned. We have become a bitter society with hatred against each other. This country was founded by immigrates and now we want to get rid of some of the best and the brightest who contribute to our society. It's just wrong and not the american way
No, we just want to get rid of the bottom-feeding trash that comes for the social benefits and have no respect for our country or laws. We want to bring more of the "best and the brightest" by having merit-based immigration.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
No, we just want to get rid of the bottom-feeding trash that comes for the social benefits and have no respect for our country or laws. We want to bring more of the "best and the brightest" by having merit-based immigration.
And where is that in the constitution.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,596,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
They aren't choosing to be, they just are.

They are brilliant young people who lack the resources to pay for college without loans, people who would go on to be doctors, engineers, architects, etc. Someone who has a dream to be an attorney shouldn't be able to go to law school, because their parents can't write a check for $150k, just because some are irresponsible and have no plan to repay their debts? What a stupid thing to think.

And life happens. Life hardships happen. People default on credit cards, personal loans, mortgages, car loans, etc., because the find themselves in a situation where it's either eat or pay a certain debt, but old people just have this penchant for student loan debt (probably because it mostly deals with Millennials). By that logic, we should do away with credit cards and mortgages, because people are irresponsible with those, too.

But yeah, take away these programs for people like teachers (who already deserve to get paid WAY more than they do now) and watch what happens to the talent pool.

Yup. Just a handful of years ago when I was 17, the question wasn't, "What are you doing after high school?", it was, "Where are you going to college?" This was especially true if you came from an educated family, college was basically the only option.

Just more of the same ignorance and bitterness from older generations, I assume.
I'm not sure who you consider a member of the older generations, but I am 53, and I think this plan is total BS. Why in the world is it possible for someone to rack up thousands of dollars of credit card debt and then declare bankruptcy, but that escape route is unavailable to a person whose degree has not been the golden ticket to success that they were told all their life that it would be?

I don't want to hear one single more G-damn word from Trump about anyone not paying their debts. How many people has he royally screwed by not paying his?

I have believed all of my life that hatred is a sin, yet I am learning to hate this man with a passion that literally makes me nauseous. His hypocrisy is absolutely staggering.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,151,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And where is that in the constitution.
Where's what in the constitution?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Education and living costs are MUCH HIGHER than they were when I was young. Wages have increased, but COL is through the roof. Full-time college semester at public university was about $400. 1 BR apt near campus was $300/mo. I made $4.25/hr working at Mervyn’s Dept Store. I didn’t earn much, but got by with help from my parents and relatively low costs.- Mid-1980s.
and people live longer now, they are in school into their 30s sometime, marrying in their 30s, buying their house in their 30s, having kids in their 30s... instead of their 20s

what's wrong with having people work a bit before starting college if they are starting their "lives" slower than before? they work some and save in their early 20s, get work experience to go along with that degree they will be getting

by working first, they are more focused on direction they want to go in college as well

really, why do millennials think college is a limited resource? it's there for life, no reason to go attend one right out of high school if they don't want to make a plan on actually paying for it or finding the resources to do it

Old 02-12-2018, 11:45 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
How many times has he declared bankruptcy, an option not available for student loans?

You can take that up with every banker's best buddy, Bill Clinton.

https://www2.ed.gov/policy/highered/...a98/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies