Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there should be other months devoted to other races?
Yes, every race should get their own month! 29 78.38%
Nope! Black History Month deserves an entire month! Other Races Do not! 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I do not get upset about them speaking of it. Everyone should all proud of their heritage, races, and backgrounds. Each one has provided key contributions that have made the society we have today. Im just saying that all should be equally treated the same.

So when do you think the best time is to enslave you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2018, 10:40 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,003,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So when do you think the best time is to enslave you?

As far as im concerend multiple cultures/races/and people were ensalved at some point in history. We seem to only focus on what happened in the last 200 years though.... What about the rest of history of slavery then?

Well in the 16 - 18th century white europeans were captured and sold as slaves in north Africa...Barbary Slave Trade.

According to Robert Davis, between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuries.[1][2] However, to extrapolate his numbers, Davis assumes the number of European slaves captured by Barbary pirates were constant for a 250-year period, stating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery

Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
As far as im concerend multiple cultures/races/and people were ensalved at some point in history. We seem to only focus on what happened in the last 200 years though.... What about the rest of history of slavery then?

Well in the 16 - 18th century white europeans were captured and sold as slaves in north Africa...Barbary Slave Trade.

According to Robert Davis, between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuries.[1][2] However, to extrapolate his numbers, Davis assumes the number of European slaves captured by Barbary pirates were constant for a 250-year period, stating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery

Because the last 200 years IS American history, and that's the discussion.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times
Every year at this time, this bit of excrement floats to the top, just like the so-called "war on Christmas". Why don't you people let it go.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,003,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because the last 200 years IS American history, and that's the discussion.
Then they should rename it "African American History month" not "Black History Month" ...that way we can tell the difference .

Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,363,718 times
Quote:
Why is there an Entire Month Devoted To Black History? What About Asian History Month? What About Caucasian History Month? What About Middle Eastern History Month?

I think a entire month is overkill. If theres an entire month devoted to it. Then other races should deserve the same .
Blacks were brutally oppressed, that is why. The only other group that is in the same league are the native Americans. So yes, blacks deserve a bit of consideration. The question is whether special considerations and talking about race 24/7 can perpetuate feelings of victimhood in black American people.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
I do not get upset about them speaking of it. Everyone should all proud of their heritage, races, and backgrounds. Each one has provided key contributions that have made the society we have today. Im just saying that all should be equally treated the same.
Well why did you make a thread with all these phony "what about ....what about....what abouts" if you don't get upset.

Evidently BHM triggered something in you that you felt the need to create a silly thread regarding "what abouts" that are silly because all the groups you mentioned do have a month lol.

Also, as I noted, black people pushed the celebration of our month. If you want more representations, then do the same for your own cultural heritage month. As noted Hispanics, Asians, Jews, and even the indigenous population, they push their months to the mainstream.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Here is the brief history of the history month.

It is not unique to the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_History_Month

Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,849,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Blacks were brutally oppressed, that is why. The only other group that is in the same league are the native Americans. So yes, blacks deserve a bit of consideration. The question is whether special considerations and talking about race 24/7 can perpetuate feelings of victimhood in black American people.
LOL about speaking of our histor perpetuating "feelings of victimhood."

Are you black?

I ask because us black people we do not feel victimized by our history. We are inspired by it. It is always odd to me that people believe that us learning about our history is somehow a threat to non-black people.

From the creator of Black History Month, Dr. Carter G. Woodson:

Quote:

Those who have no record of what their forebears have accomplished lose the inspiration which comes from the teaching of biography and history.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,615,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Every year someone posts something silly like this.

FYI - like I'm sure other people have mentioned.

Various "white" people have months in the US. Google in your friend. The Irish, Germans, Polish, Italian, Asians, Indigenous/Native, Hispanics, Jewish, Armenians, etc., all have celebratory months.

Not us black people's fault that you all don't celebrate your month like we do.

Yep. It's expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You hereby win the Whitest Man on CD award for the day. SMH It's like some of my fellow white people think Black History Month is a direct attempt to belittle them and that it somehow makes them smaller than they really are. I appreciate the month and hope my kids are learning all about it in school so they never ask me dumb questions like Why is there not a Caucasian History Month?

SMH

My fellow white people, instead of arguing about Black History Month, why don't you read some history once in a while and keep your dumb mouth shut?
Amen, brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies