Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times

Advertisements

I find it amusing that anyone would seriously believe that these jobs will ever make me back to the states.
It's not going to happen these businesses won't give up their huge profits they are making and the taxes they are saving to pay MORE money to American workers and have to pay higher taxes.
Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM

29,575 posts, read 14,720,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I agree....but check out Buffalo Trace Bourbon..... great stuff at half the price of a $60.00 bottle.

If you can find it....
BT and Eagle Rare are our go too bourbons, can't beat them for a $30 bottle.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I find it amusing that anyone would seriously believe that these jobs will ever make me back to the states.
It's not going to happen these businesses won't give up their huge profits they are making and the taxes they are saving to pay MORE money to American workers and have to pay higher taxes.
Good luck with that.
Germany & Japan, of course, prove you 100% wrong. They also protect their workers from unfair trade deals too.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
If you pay people $20-30 an hour to make shoes they will either have to raise prices or the owners will make less profit. The idea that you could simply bring manufacturing jobs back to the US and pay people high wages with zero impact on prices or profits is ridiculous. Not to mention asking every American to spend more of their hard earned money so a few chosen Americans can have the high paying jobs they believe they are entitled to is crazy. Why should I spend one penny more on the products I buy just so some high school dropout in Possum Holler can afford a bass boat?
You can move the production into a low COL area, pay $17 an hour and that would be pretty darn decent pay.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
IT, health care, accounting/finance, engineering, STEM fields, teaching
We have covered this many times. Those jobs are available on a very limited basis and if you have 500 people applying for 25 jobs, the scale of pay drops drastically.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Good luck with that.
That's fine. The discussion about what we do about 190 million people that can't find a job will be a fun one. You either pay people to work or not to work.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Germany & Japan, of course, prove you 100% wrong. They also protect their workers from unfair trade deals too.

That's over there and not here. Our government and these businesses are far to greedy.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,807,423 times
Quote:
If you pay people $20-30 an hour to make shoes they will either have to raise prices or the owners will make less profit. The idea that you could simply bring manufacturing jobs back to the US and pay people high wages with zero impact on prices or profits is ridiculous. Not to mention asking every American to spend more of their hard earned money so a few chosen Americans can have the high paying jobs they believe they are entitled to is crazy. Why should I spend one penny more on the products I buy just so some high school dropout in Possum Holler can afford a bass boat?
Actually the issue is whether that person has food to eat or whether you have to feed him/her yourself.

If Americans began to think of themselves as more of a collective where everything they do impacts society as a whole they might change behaviors and employment would be more stable.

There is a price to do this. We all end up working with full employment as a goal and refuse to accept goods made by automation in the interest of providing work as one of the basic human rights that improves society.

I am not saying the right for all to sit at desks and play computer games.

Rather it is the right to literally reap wheat by hand because it makes society healthy.

Have you ever seen how healthy and happy farming communities are?

The sad sad farming community is the one destroyed by fertilizer, pesticides, with no jobs available owing to giant combines. The farmer is yoked into paying off equipment costing hundreds of thousands. The only happy person is the lender who takes the farm when the farm fails.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,807,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Japan is a great place to study.

Consumers pay extremely high prices for food that is grown within Japan using highly labor intensive methods on small plots of land.

Japan manufacturers believe far more in a commitment to employ a person for life.

Japan.."social group has been organized on the basis of the "life-time employment system"

Cite:

Japanese Culture and Behavior: Selected Readings

In the US employers are rewarded for unemploying their workers.

Had employers been forced to retain workers they would have retrained them and branched out to other industries.

Take steel as an example: US Steel firms just sacked 90% of there workers and devasted steel towns. Japanese steel firms had to keep their workers and so despite the same automation had to give them new assignments.

So what does a steel firm do with 90% unneeded workers. Proof?

Anthony D'Costa*·*2013 · Business & Economics

... undertaken by the Japanese steel industry has been investments in non-steel sectors. Unlike some of the US firms, Japanese companies branched out into areas in which....

Consider Mitsubishi. When they had to layoff steel workers because of automation, they in turn built car manufacturing plants to employ workers and use the steel their efficient plants made.

The American model simply unemployed the steel workers, they could no longer afford cars, and the gain in steel efficiency was offset by a loss of workers.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:51 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
There are high paying jobs in manufacturing. You don't just walk in the door and get one though. First, you must acquire some form of skill or knowledge base that is WORTH paying more for. That requires work and effort, for a significant period of time, with no guaranteed outcome. There are no free rides in manufacturing, and sometimes, even the good workers and business folks get burned. I can understand why America let the Chinese have it.

But the US must preserve it's manufacturing ability. Look back at WW2 for the reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies