Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And what happens is we do nothing!

See you back here in another week or so when the next mass shooting occurs. And we can do nothing! after that one, too.

Oh, except pray. Because that is just so helpful.

No other country in the world has gun violence the way the U.S. does. They obviously know something we don't. Probably because they don't glorify guns and put the rights of gun owners above everyone else. The 2nd Amendment is worshiped more than God in this country.

Here it comes. The hand-wringing, emotional Do SOMETHING!

Get specific. What do YOU want to do?

One thing is certain: that will NEVER be me. You can make book on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: You've made a good and valid point, one I can't refute.
Did you miss the refuting part of the post?

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Armed guards at schools.
Could have a positive result.

Some years ago, a guy who shot up a Jewish Community Center near Los Angeles drove from plac o place looking for a location where he could shoot people. At the first two possible places he saw, he noticed they had armed guards... so he didn't stop. He drove on, still looking. Only when he finally found the JCC and saw they did not have guards, did he get out and start shooting.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:57 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That is only one part of the issue. Other countries have unhappy children. I don't think teenagers are so different in most of the world.

Having guns so easily accessible is an issue.
I do not believe guns should be so easily accessible. I also would like to see stats from other countries like how many one parent households, religion in family (I am Jewish and not very religious), hours kids are indoors playing video games, family’s on state aid etc.

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Such behavior and attitude towards other human beings surely serve you, and our society, well.
Nope, just being honest. You blame the gun, I blame the person, if you are gonna kill, you are gonna kill....period, yes?

You thinking that more laws will work, I Don't....

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Beyond creepy.

My money is on the students. Having said this, imagine if this was you and had nothing to do with it.

What is he referring to?
https://twitter.com/WeWuzMetokur/sta...80237112201217

Thank goodness for social media and free expression , huh?

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And when someone kills with a knife would you take everyone's knife?

When someone's bludgeoned with a hammer would you take everyone's hammer?

When someone drives a truck into a crowd would you take everyone's truck?

They're only tools designed to do different jobs, why should everyone who uses them properly, whatever that use may be, be punished?
To point out the obvious...Guns were invented to kill people. Try again.

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You conveniently overlook the self-defense purpose. Or would you have us believe if someone breaks into your house threatening your life they shouldn't be killed?

Well, if 50 is the threshold I guess you can't blame today's tragedy on guns because less than that number were killed, right?
Stats prove that you are more likely to be injured by your own gun in that case...or your children. To have a gun for defence in the home, it has to be at the ready. Meaning, unlocked, easily accessible and hopefully loaded.

There is no threshold. I was using ONE example of many.

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
He’s been identified as 19-year-old Nicolas Cruz.

Jim Gard, a teacher at the school, told CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald they had problems with Cruz last year and he was asked to leave the campus. He seemed to recall an email sent out earlier warning teachers that Cruz had made some threats and wasn’t allowed on the campus with a backpack.

High School Gunman Identified As Former Student « CBS Miami

the school teacher said cruz "wasn't allowed on the campus", so why was he allowed on campus?
He didn't have a backpack?

How about once someone makes threats they are banned from the property permanently.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That is only one part of the issue. Other countries have unhappy children. I don't think teenagers are so different in most of the world.

Having guns so easily accessible is an issue.
Other countries have more homogenous populations....maybe this has effect on bullying?

Also children in other countries are not being given the same kinds of medications American children are being prescribed.

This article describes how treatment, nutrition, and parenting all lead to a very different approach in France. It's from "Psychology Today", entitled "Why French Kids Don't Have ADHD".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psy...ave-adhd%3famp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies