Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:37 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Guns are too easy to obtain and too many of the WRONG people have them - like this young man; like the Columbine shooters; like the Sandy Hook Shooter . . .

All using some kind of semi automatic rifle.

Ban those.
Yes. I agree. Especially because I heard details about the bullets piercing the walls. At my daughter's school, their hiding place is a room where one wall faces the hallway. Any child who has done the practice drill would know exactly where to shoot from the hall and I am pretty sure the walls are not made of concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
People still die in car accidents. We made seat belts mandatory and yet some people still die needlessly in car accidents due to not wearing their seat belts.

People still die from bad reactions to medications, or mix ups.

People still die from homemade bombs.

Since Roe v. Wade in 1973, estimates put the number of murdered babes at over 58,000,000.

That number completely dwarfs the number killed by guns.

Where is your outrage? You are fine with abortion being legal.

This is not a GUN problem.

This is a problem of someone wanting to murder other people.
So let's do nothing about it. Got it.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
So, let's see if I understand this, you're against abortion, but easy access to weapons of mass slaughter which are used to murder children are fine with you.

Not only that but the you go on to make a comparison to the number of abortions to the number of gun deaths!

What is your point, little Miss Pro-lifer?

That gun deaths are not a big deal because in your head their are more abortions.

Wow..I thought I heard everything but this is some serious BS.

No wonder being called "Pro-life" is becoming an absolute joke.
See above.

I never said gun deaths aren't a big deal.

But don't give me all YOUR BS about "the children" when you don't give a single thought to all the children murdered every single dang day. In "my head" there are not more abortions. There ARE more abortions.

Also spare me your derision. The name calling is unwarranted and immature.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:40 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Who knows of a local family here that lost a son in the Vegas shooting. Don't think just because someone isn't an American, that they can't, or don't care. A lot have family and friends in the US.
Speaking of a school shooting in Fla.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So let's do nothing about it. Got it.
Who said don't do anything about it?

I did not.

What an odd conclusion.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
What an odd conclusion.
Not at all following your post.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Are you saying this scumbag was adjudicated as mentally defective and purchased a firearm on a 4473 and NICS check?

Because you can't purchase a firearm if adjudicated mentally defective or admitted to an institution...
Which "scumbag"?

As for the common-sense rule vacated by the nonsensical legislators & NRA lapdogs et al:

Quote:
On February 2, 2017, the House of Representatives passed a Congressional Review Act disapproval resolution (H.J.Res. 40) to overturn a final rule promulgated by the Social Security Administration (SSA) regarding implementation of firearms restrictions for certain persons. On February 16, 2017, the Senate passed H.J.Res. 40 without any amendments. On February 28, 2017, President Donald Trump signed this resolution into law (P.L. 115-8). This enacted joint resolution vacates the SSA final rule. It also bars the SSA from promulgating any future rule that would be “substantially the same” as the vacated rule unless the agency receives a new statutory authorization to do so.

The vacated SSA final rule was intended to implement provisions of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 (NIAA; P.L. 110-180) on reporting requirements for any federal agency holding records on persons prohibited from possessing firearms. NIAA mandates that agencies must share those records with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for inclusion in a computer index accessible to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). As described in this report, some of these prohibiting records are based upon findings of “mental incompetency” made during certain federal benefit claims processes administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) since 1998 and to be administered by the SSA beginning in December 2017. ...
Gun Control, Mental Incompetency, and Social Security Administration Final Rule

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R44752.html

Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
People still die in car accidents. We made seat belts mandatory and yet some people still die needlessly in car accidents due to not wearing their seat belts.

People still die from bad reactions to medications, or mix ups.

People still die from homemade bombs.

Since Roe v. Wade in 1973, estimates put the number of murdered babes at over 58,000,000.

That number completely dwarfs the number killed by guns.

Where is your outrage? You are fine with abortion being legal.

This is not a GUN problem.

This is a problem of someone wanting to murder other people.
Yet many more would die without those laws/regulations.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM

736 posts, read 353,500 times
In dictator countries, the government goes after the gunman's family and friends. This punishment acts as deterrence and encourages members or friends to report the estrange person. In the United States most lone wolves kill themselves, are killed in a gun battle with police, or are rarely captured. Perhaps if the United States were to retaliate against the family or closed friends lone wolves would be reported by the family or would act as a deterrence against the lone wolf. I mean what can you do about it? If the person wants to kill people out of revenge, anger, or other unbalance emotions, there isn't a whole lot that can be done if the person is a lone wolf as describe by police and the intelligence community.

These people don't even need a firearm. Terrorist have used explosion made from any number of ammonia nitrate derivative chemicals, fertilizer, fuels, ect. Non firearms used such as cars or knifes. The worst killers are those hiding as health providers such as doctors, nurses, ect.

Even if the person is executed or receives life prison, this punishment is no longer an effective deterrence. Unfortunately, the United States due to the constitution does not allow alternative methods to deter attacks.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 PM

Here's what I don't understand. Kids are doing in school shootings. But too many of the posters here are too busy pointing fingers at their political opponents or claiming nothing can be done about it anyway. Others are pointing out that more people die in other ways. OK. so does that mean we shouldn't try to stop school shootings? I'm beginning to think the real problem as to why we don't do more about school shootings is, frankly, us. We keep sending the same buttholes to Congress. We're too ready to blame the other side of the aisle for everything or throw up our hands and say nothing can be done anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies