Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times

Advertisements

So... guns... let me tell you a little bit about guns. Most big cities or cities with a large black community have "stop and frisk" programs which ostensibly are to locate and remove guns that are used illegally. Ever been frisked? I have. Many times. It's a nasty experience. You're wearing clothes and the officer is wearing gloves but his hands go everywhere. Everywhere. And if you were/are a black man in NYC at the height of Stop, Question and Frisk in NYC you could expect to be stopped an average of every two months. Yep. In the last two years I lived in NYC (before I said nutz to this) I was stopped and frisked a dozen times. And that does not include traffic stops, bike riding stops, where in addition to a frisk you are subject to an on the spot computer search for Outstanding Warrants which for someone of my age takes a minimum of 30 minutes.

In one year of active frisking, over 1 million separate encounters worth, the NYPD found 88 guns. It is estimated that if white men were included in the frisking that that number would have quadrupled, but even then they weren't even beginning to control the number of rogue guns in society. But it feels good. Oppression is very cathartic. It's also soul sucking and corrosive to the spirit, but you don't always realize that while you have the influence side of an unequal power dynamic.

People in the thrall of guns and their power are sick. They are addicted. They need help. They are no better (or worse) than people addicted to drugs, alcohol, or tobacco and the damage that the greater society has suffered from the selfishness and refusal to get help of the addicted gun loving minority is similar to the pain and suffering of the greater society from drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Assault weapons? You should be glad that even the victims of these horrific mass shootings aren't calling for an all out firearms ban. I am. Assault rifles are a Red Herring. Just like Bump Stocks. Banning Bump Stocks will do jack in the end because, and I can say it with confidence: there will NEVER be another Vegas Style shooter using a bump stock equipped AR-15 in my lifetime. Period. That was a one off, just like 9/11 was a one off (ban jet airliners?) and all the TSA nonsence that has followed 9/11 is simply opportunistic GREED and the Capitalization of a situation for PROFIT.

The NRA accuses the Parkland kids of the same motive because they actually are the ones who know how to play that game! But the *** (rhymes with fig) is up. Yes, we are coming for your guns! You don't have to worry about Trump coming for you (like he would, please) you have the American people, your family, your friends, coming instead. Let's see what you've got. Are you going to shoot your wives, your daughter(s), your son(s), when they appeal to you to turn over the arsenal to be crushed? You brought it on yourselves. You allowed your children to find your gun(s) under pillows, coffee tables and liquor cabinets. They shot themselves, their friends, your spouses... their classmates... their schools... your guns have caused 10x more MISERY than any amount of 'self protection' or 'sport' and they certainly have never helped overthrow a tyrannical government... what absolute rot and rubbish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM

764 posts, read 235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leisesturm View Post
so... Guns... Let me tell you a little bit about guns. Most big cities or cities with a large black community have "stop and frisk" programs which ostensibly are to locate and remove guns that are used illegally. Ever been frisked? I have. Many times. It's a nasty experience. You're wearing clothes and the officer is wearing gloves but his hands go everywhere. Everywhere. And if you were/are a black man in nyc at the height of stop, question and frisk in nyc you could expect to be stopped an average of every two months. Yep. In the last two years i lived in nyc (before i said nutz to this) i was stopped and frisked a dozen times. And that does not include traffic stops, bike riding stops, where in addition to a frisk you are subject to an on the spot computer search for outstanding warrants which for someone of my age takes a minimum of 30 minutes.

In one year of active frisking, over 1 million separate encounters worth, the nypd found 88 guns. It is estimated that if white men were included in the frisking that that number would have quadrupled, but even then they weren't even beginning to control the number of rogue guns in society. But it feels good. Oppression is very cathartic. It's also soul sucking and corrosive to the spirit, but you don't always realize that while you have the influence side of an unequal power dynamic.

People in the thrall of guns and their power are sick. They are addicted. They need help. They are no better (or worse) than people addicted to drugs, alcohol, or tobacco and the damage that the greater society has suffered from the selfishness and refusal to get help of the addicted gun loving minority is similar to the pain and suffering of the greater society from drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Assault weapons? You should be glad that even the victims of these horrific mass shootings aren't calling for an all out firearms ban. I am. Assault rifles are a red herring. Just like bump stocks. Banning bump stocks will do jack in the end because, and i can say it with confidence: There will never be another vegas style shooter using a bump stock equipped ar-15 in my lifetime. Period. That was a one off, just like 9/11 was a one off (ban jet airliners?) and all the tsa nonsence that has followed 9/11 is simply opportunistic greed and the capitalization of a situation for profit.

The nra accuses the parkland kids of the same motive because they actually are the ones who know how to play that game! But the *** (rhymes with fig) is up. Yes, we are coming for your guns! You don't have to worry about trump coming for you (like he would, please) you have the american people, your family, your friends, coming instead. Let's see what you've got. Are you going to shoot your wives, your daughter(s), your son(s), when they appeal to you to turn over the arsenal to be crushed? You brought it on yourselves. You allowed your children to find your gun(s) under pillows, coffee tables and liquor cabinets. They shot themselves, their friends, your spouses... Their classmates... Their schools... Your guns have caused 10x more misery than any amount of 'self protection' or 'sport' and they certainly have never helped overthrow a tyrannical government... What absolute rot and rubbish!

molon labe

Old 02-22-2018, 01:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Doesn't sound off at all....... 30% ownership is low, but using 74 million x three is 222 million. Some own one but some own five or six. AR, AK, handgun, .22s, semi automatic rifles that are NOT AR or AK........ sound like 205 million could actually be on the low side.
You really think that each gun owner owns multiple semi-automatic weapons? Give me a break

Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM

764 posts, read 235,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You really think that each gun owner owns multiple semi-automatic weapons? Give me a break
No.......... reread what I wrote. Some own one, some own five or six. It averages out. And most estimates put adult gun ownership higher than 30% but I used your number.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Incorrect.......... your own link says Gun rights groups, not just the NRA. There are MANY gun rights groups and they all donate to politicians just like any other group of people form groups to donate and lobby.
If you have a problem with that then you need to ban ALL lobbying in politics on both sides. AND.., 3 million dollars (if correct) spread out over the years and groups is not much money in comparison to a lot of other lobby amounts over the same period of time.
Maybe you are not aware that the NRA has numerous PACs, the NRA-PVF being the largest. But if you can demonstrate that the 3 + million he got were from groups NOT affiliated with the NRA I'd be interested in seeing that.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:22 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
In my circle of friends - yes. Most have at least a dozen.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
In my circle of friends - yes. Most have at least a dozen.
Most of your friends have a dozen semi-automatic weapons? Do you think that's a little unusual?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
So... guns... let me tell you a little bit about guns. Most big cities or cities with a large black community have "stop and frisk" programs which ostensibly are to locate and remove guns that are used illegally. Ever been frisked? I have. Many times. It's a nasty experience. You're wearing clothes and the officer is wearing gloves but his hands go everywhere. Everywhere. And if you were/are a black man in NYC at the height of Stop, Question and Frisk in NYC you could expect to be stopped an average of every two months. Yep. In the last two years I lived in NYC (before I said nutz to this) I was stopped and frisked a dozen times. And that does not include traffic stops, bike riding stops, where in addition to a frisk you are subject to an on the spot computer search for Outstanding Warrants which for someone of my age takes a minimum of 30 minutes.

In one year of active frisking, over 1 million separate encounters worth, the NYPD found 88 guns. It is estimated that if white men were included in the frisking that that number would have quadrupled, but even then they weren't even beginning to control the number of rogue guns in society. But it feels good. Oppression is very cathartic. It's also soul sucking and corrosive to the spirit, but you don't always realize that while you have the influence side of an unequal power dynamic.

Assault weapons? You should be glad that even the victims of these horrific mass shootings aren't calling for an all out firearms ban. I am. Assault rifles are a Red Herring. Just like Bump Stocks. Banning Bump Stocks will do jack in the end because, and I can say it with confidence: there will NEVER be another Vegas Style shooter using a bump stock equipped AR-15 in my lifetime. Period. That was a one off, just like 9/11 was a one off (ban jet airliners?) and all the TSA nonsence that has followed 9/11 is simply opportunistic GREED and the Capitalization of a situation for PROFIT.

The NRA accuses the Parkland kids of the same motive because they actually are the ones who know how to play that game! But the *** (rhymes with fig) is up. Yes, we are coming for your guns! You don't have to worry about Trump coming for you (like he would, please) you have the American people, your family, your friends, coming instead. Let's see what you've got. Are you going to shoot your wives, your daughter(s), your son(s), when they appeal to you to turn over the arsenal to be crushed? You brought it on yourselves. You allowed your children to find your gun(s) under pillows, coffee tables and liquor cabinets. They shot themselves, their friends, your spouses... their classmates... their schools... your guns have caused 10x more MISERY than any amount of 'self protection' or 'sport' and they certainly have never helped overthrow a tyrannical government... what absolute rot and rubbish!
right off the rails...
buh-bye.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:48 PM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times
Quote:
Maybe you are not aware that the NRA has numerous PACs, the NRA-PVF being the largest. But if you can demonstrate that the 3 + million he got were from groups NOT affiliated with the NRA I'd be interested in seeing that.
+1
This

The use of PACs is the fundamental method of nontransparent money diversion on the part of the NRA. The NRA is by far the biggest gun lobbying organization in the world. Nobody spends more, or invests more cash than the NRA!

The craziness once started by Harlon Carter, now continues with Wayne LaPierre...

Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Most of your friends have a dozen semi-automatic weapons? Do you think that's a little unusual?
Not at all. I have more than a dozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies