Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What explains FBI failures?
Incompetence 23 30.26%
Distracted by political witch hunts and other intrigues 49 64.47%
Disorganized like any bureaucracy 23 30.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I guess the FBI Director doesn't know he doesn't have enough resources, because he said it was a failure to follow protocol.
I was responding to the poster who said about following all tips. But since you brought it up, failure to follow protocol may be a result of prioritization of resources. All they stated was failure to follow protocol, not a violation of rules. Managers often have the authority to not follow protocol; they did not come out and say, yet, that violation of rules/regs occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You must be a FBI agent. I’m not, but I doubt they work 10 hrs per day. Any way, its just a matter of setting priorities . If they know anything about school shootings, it should have been at the top of the list.
I know a few and was accepted to Quantico (declined but that is another story), so I do know a little bit. They work 10 hour days, they get LEAP pay to compensate. This is the minimum, they often work more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I'm starting to wonder if you have reading comprehension problems, because it was in my post. ~100/day.

Look, their job is to investigate this stuff. And that includes investigating all potential crimes that fall within their mission statement, whether or not that information comes only from tips, or from other sources, why does it matter what the source is? Its their job. And they are failing, a LOT, at their job.

No. They receive ~100 actionable tips a day. This is not the massive case load that a lot of people are speculating about, as a possible cause of a strain on their resources. This is an enormous federal agency, with a 9B/year budget, and with over 36,000 employees, including 13,500 agents, and field offices in every metro area.

That is a huge amount of manpower. They should be able to easily deal with the volume of cases from tips. Hence the question in the poll.
Source for how many tips? What are the classification of tips (since you stated "actionable"). Following tips is just one, small part of the FBI's responsibilities. If they have the resources, they will, but with limited resources, just like every other organization, they will have to prioritize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When your resources are all trying to rig the election and organize to try to overthrow the President elect and sent to investigate false allegations made up by the losers of the last election, it's no wonder it's a resource issue.
There are specialties within the FBI, not every single agent can/does every single scope of responsibility the FBI has, just as in your organization, if large, you cannot do every single job in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
MINIMUM 50 hours/ week, including holidays and odd hours, plus on call 24/7.

https://www.fbijobs.gov/career-paths/special-agents

These are salaried positions. No OT.
They get LEAP pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 08:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Call Center and field offices are removed from the DC politics.
According to the Press Conference/Update today ....... the Call Center is in Washington, D.C.
There are about 1,000 FBI agents in the Miami Field Office.

Apparently the D.C. office could not figure out how to contact any of the 1,000 Agents in Miami and failed to follow the "protocols".

Bottom Line Questions have to be - What exactly are the "protocols", who put them in place and why is it that in at least a half dozen mass shootings in the last decade - the FBI was "aware" of the shooter and did NOTHING???

Sounds like a problemo with the vaunted "protocols" to me.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was responding to the poster who said about following all tips. But since you brought it up, failure to follow protocol may be a result of prioritization of resources. All they stated was failure to follow protocol, not a violation of rules. Managers often have the authority to not follow protocol; they did not come out and say, yet, that violation of rules/regs occurred.

That's a lot of speculation. Besides, if a manager was authorized to override whatever protocol was not followed in an effort to prioritize resources, that would be within their protocol. And, then you would have a case of flawed or questionable judgement by the manager.

I'm quite sure multiple people including career managers, analysts, public affairs officer and attorney(s) worked hours crafting the statement that was issued by the FBI Director.

It was very specific that whatever happened, it was a failure and further very specific that it should not have happened.

If they had something to mitigate that, I think that would have been included in the statement. My guess is it is going to be an outrageous mistake of some kind and so they are making sure they have all the details correct before they say more or they are trickling it out to soften the blowback.

Lets face it, if it was simply a resource issue, then surely they had enough resources to hand it off to local LEO.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
According to the Press Conference/Update today ....... the Call Center is in Washington, D.C.

Apparently the D.C. office could not figure out how to contact any of the 1,000 Agents in Miami and failed to follow the "protocols".

Bottom Line Questions have to be - What exactly are the "protocols", who put them in place and why is it that in at least a half dozen mass shootings in the last decade - the FBI was "aware" of the shooter and did NOTHING???

Say what lol?

Did they actually say that?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Say what lol?

Did they actually say that?

What the FBI Knew About the Accused Florida School Shooter | Time

Old 02-16-2018, 08:24 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
No just the president...

Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of speculation. Besides, if a manager was authorized to override whatever protocol was not followed in an effort to prioritize resources, that would be within their protocol. And, then you would have a case of flawed or questionable judgement by the manager.
I do not disagree, but believe it or not, there are many aspects of gov operations that do not have a real clear cut SOP. A lot of things come down to verbal and email written policies, and they can vary among the different offices. Failure to follow protocol can actually mean a lot of things, and yes, just speculation.

Quote:
I'm quite sure multiple people including career managers, analysts, public affairs officer and attorney(s) worked hours crafting the statement that was issued by the FBI Director.
Lol, I am sure that happened, they went over that thing numerous times before released, all crafted to make sure they say, and do not say things.

Quote:
It was very specific that whatever happened, it was a failure and further very specific that it should not have happened.
Agree, but as with the Texas church shooting, they will do an inspection and probably come across many instances where tips were not followed adequately. What authority they have and guidelines in regards to tips I have no idea.

Quote:
If they had something to mitigate that, I think that would have been included in the statement. My guess is it is going to be an outrageous mistake of some kind and so they are making sure they have all the details correct before they say more or they are trickling it out to soften the blowback.
It either is a one time mistake, not a mistake but a "should have", or they will discover systemic issues with following tips.

Quote:
Lets face it, if it was simply a resource issue, then surely they had enough resources to hand it off to local LEO.
I have no idea the procedures they have for this, as local law enforcement also have limited resources, and having worked in the federal government, I know many local jurisdictions are not keep on taking on responsibilities of the federal government. Even mundane things like wage complaints have numerous barriers.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Wow, did not even make it to the field office. Seems it is looking more like someone did not do their job, and no procedures in place to ensure things like this do not fall through the cracks (or those procedures not even followed).

As with the US Navy collisions last summer, looks to be a series of errors that resulted in the FBI dropping the ball.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Federal Bureau of idiots . Witch hunt on Trump an all that was on campaign and did no follow up on school shooter. They look incompetent .

Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks. I think I had seen all that info, but it doesn't say anything about a DC call center not knowing how to contact agents in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies