Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
When you look at all the money that Republicans get from the NRA and the obvious support that guys like Trump and Paul Ryan give back to them, is it inaccurate to say that Trump is basically one and the same with these mass murderers? It seems logical to me... what do you all think?
I completely despise Trump but I don't think we can blame mass shootings on him. They have been going on for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Inaction is the same as action.

When it comes to guns or mental illness....one thing we know is Republicans will do nothing to address either of these problems.
^^^^ This is who I blame.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Name one gun control law that doesn't infringe in people's rights that would prevent these shootings?
Name one mass shooting that doesn't infringe on people's rights to continue breathing.

Why does your right to own a gun override my right to live?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I don't look at them as murderers, but enabling someone to be when they lean toward an organization like the NRA. They know what they're doing when they take the money. They have to live w/ the consequences of it, too.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:01 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Name one mass shooting that doesn't infringe on people's rights to continue breathing.

Why does your right to own a gun override my right to live?

I say this all the time. The pendulum has swung to the gun owners rights to esp. owning a gun that kills lots of people quickly at the peril of everyday people trying to live their lives. If someone doesn't see how nonsensical and crazy this is, what can you say?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
When you look at all the money that Republicans get from the NRA and the obvious support that guys like Trump and Paul Ryan give back to them, is it inaccurate to say that Trump is basically one and the same with these mass murderers? It seems logical to me... what do you all think?
Your logic is flawed and totally escapes me.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I say this all the time. The pendulum has swung to the gun owners rights to esp. owning a gun that kills lots of people quickly at the peril of everyday people trying to live their lives. If someone doesn't see how nonsensical and crazy this is, what can you say?
Semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines that hold 15, 20, and 30 rounds have been around since WWII, or longer, and were widely available for next to nothing, as military surplus, via mail order from the end of WWII through 1968, then they were still available through an FFL dealer. I am talking about rifles like the M1 Carbine.

So again, you have no facts, and are plain wrong.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Inaction is the same as action.

When it comes to guns or mental illness....one thing we know is Republicans will do nothing to address either of these problems.
What did Obama do when he had both houses for two years?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
No. That’s completely idiotic.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Honestly, Obama never had full power.... many Democrats were against his gun policies.. he did a good job attacking the issue (didn't have enough people to back him up however) and he failed, he at least tried... even though he didn't necessarily attack the root of the issue.... right now everyone is just debating what to do with the tool the evil people use... why not just do some deep research on these evil people and see what made them like this?

all we can do at this point is just plain and simple be good humans, be good parents and teach our children not to bully and to look out for each other.
Yes, he did. All 3 branches of government were Democrat from early 2009 to early 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Trump has tried to change everything Obama did. Including eliminating a regulation on gun control

So it's now his issue.

Trump can make or break himself and correct the mistake he made by removing the regulation.

Or he will need to answer why he allowed that person to get a gun.
I keep seeing this information posted but it has been grossly misrepresented.

Yes, Trump did repeal the law, HOWEVER:

The law has never gone into effect in the first place.

The law was mostly aimed at senior citizens. It shared information about people who received Social Security disability due to mental illness.

Was this 19 year old kid in Florida receiving SSD?

Not that I'm aware of. So this law would have done NOTHING to prevent him obtaining a gun.

"Disability rights groups also objected to the bill. The American Civil Liberties Union joined the protest and in a letter to members of Congress, urged for its repeal. “We oppose this rule because it advances and reinforces the harmful stereotype that people with mental disabilities, a vast and diverse group of citizens, are violent,” the letter says. “There is no data to support a connection between the need for a representative payee to manage one’s Social Security disability benefits and a propensity toward gun violence.”"

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...mental-illness

And from Snopes:

"This rule — which never went into effect before being rescinded — did not change any existing laws regulating who is allowed to purchase guns. It merely would have provided a new way to enforce existing restrictions on gun sales by allowing a transfer of information from one agency to another. There are now, and have been for some time, laws that seek to limit gun sales to anyone “who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution” per Title 18 section 922(g) of the United States Code."

Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What did Obama do when he had both houses for two years?
This has been kicked down the road for decades now. Is that a reason to continue to kick it down the road? Because nothing was done in the past, nothing should ever be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies