Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

The reason we are close to full employment despite a generation of technology replacing jobs and the reason further advanced technologies are nothing to fear on the employment front. New technologies will continue to make our lives better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
It is the human condition. Wants are never satisfied. Just as soon as you get what you have been wanting forever, you start wanting something else.

I remember when television was going to put the movies out of business. Who would have imagined we would all have a Dick Tracy phone back when we all had party lines?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The reason we are close to full employment despite a generation of technology replacing jobs and the reason further advanced technologies are nothing to fear on the employment front. New technologies will continue to make our lives better.
Greed is the single largest driving force behind all human advancement.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It is the human condition. Wants are never satisfied. Just as soon as you get what you have been wanting forever, you start wanting something else.

I remember when television was going to put the movies out of business. Who would have imagined we would all have a Dick Tracy phone back when we all had party lines?

The youngest person in my family = mid/late elementary school, and the oldest...80 years older.

It's amazing what people in different age groups are fully aware of, and what they have only heard about.

I don't remember party lines, but I remember a 'world' full of only rotary dial phones .

I grew up in an affluent SF Bay Area suburb, and I remember a world before cable TV.

The oldest person in my family was already in college when regular TV broadcasts started.

My grandmother (who died in her early 90s in the late 1980s) moved to Southern California when she was very little and lived in a a very nice area. My great-grandmother was afraid to drive, so when my grandmother was well under the current mandatory age, her father bought her a car to drive her mother around in. DLs weren't required at that time.

The very oldest millennial in my family can barely remember the time before any CDs.

I remember when gas was under 20 cents per gallon.

I bought my first cell phone in 1994. A few nights ago I was watching an old Law & Order episode with Jerry Orbach and Benjamin Bratt. Lenny was calling someone else in the NYPD from a pay phone . Benjamin Bratt didn't start on L & O until 1995. I was surprised that I had a cell phone before they were standard issue for NYPD detectives....at least fictional ones .

Some things stay the same much longer...

My grandfather and I had the same first daily job....delivering the same newspaper, starting at the same young age, 65 years apart.

My mother grew up playing tennis and golf, and I did as well.

The youngest members of the family either don't know or can scarcely remember a world without iPads.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

The youngest person in my family = mid/late elementary school, and the oldest...80 years older.

It's amazing what people in different age groups are fully aware of, and what they have only heard about.

I don't remember party lines, but I remember a 'world' full of only rotary dial phones .

I grew up in an affluent SF Bay Area suburb, and I remember a world before cable TV.

The oldest person in my family was already in college when regular TV broadcasts started.

My grandmother (who died in her early 90s in the late 1980s) moved to Southern California when she was very little and lived in a a very nice area. My great-grandmother was afraid to drive, so when my grandmother was well under the current mandatory age, her father bought her a car to drive her mother around in. DLs weren't required at that time.

The very oldest millennial in my family can barely remember the time before any CDs.

I remember when gas was under 20 cents per gallon.

I bought my first cell phone in 1994. A few nights ago I was watching an old Law & Order episode with Jerry Orbach and Benjamin Bratt. Lenny was calling someone else in the NYPD from a pay phone . Benjamin Bratt didn't start on L & O until 1995. I was surprised that I had a cell phone before they were standard issue for NYPD detectives....at least fictional ones .

Some things stay the same much longer...

My grandfather and I had the same first daily job....delivering the same newspaper, starting at the same young age, 65 years apart.

My mother grew up playing tennis and golf, and I did as well.

The youngest members of the family either don't know or can scarcely remember a world without iPads.
The first portable phone I saw was the size of a large briefcase.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
The first portable phone I saw was the size of a large briefcase.
Wow. I think the first one I ever saw was about half that size, or maybe a little smaller than that.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:41 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Greed is the single largest driving force behind all human advancement.
“Greed is good.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw

Old 02-12-2018, 06:46 PM

I suggest googling “Milton Friedman greed” for a two and a half minute education on free market capitalism.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:

Sorry, but this isn't true. First, you have an narrow, incorrect view of "technology," as though it's something recent. Technology is broad, and has often devastated large sections of a population. It's also debatable whether all technology is indeed actually making our lives better. More and more people are disagreeing with that, as we see people become more distant from each other, more narrow in their knowledge, etc.

Don't fall into the easy trap of imagining that because you're employed and doing fine, everyone else will be in that same happy boat permanently.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:21 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

I imagine that is one reason so many envy me.

Last night I awoke and realized how much I have.

Above me was a black sky filled with stars. No bright city lights to dim them.

The air temperature was perfect and window wide open.

Cool clean air flowed in. No pollution from the city.

Silence. Not a sound to be heard.

Besides me sleeping is my love. One person is enough for me.

People wonder why I am happy. I don't have a car, a refrigerator, don't smoke, don't drink, and have to spend hours each week cleaning barnacles. Enjoy your wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies