Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qPnpwkWe4

Seems much better than these days. Seems like many, many women are overwhelmed with raising 2 or 3 kids and going to work for 40 plus hours in a very intense and competitive work environment these days.

https://www.livescience.com/54994-ob...ate-women.html

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

40% female obesity nationwide and 47% of women reporting poor mental health in Utah and Oregon from all the modern day stresses.

I would venture to guess much of that 40% obesity and 47% poor mental health in Utah and Oregon comes from women in their 20s and 30s.

I know from working in large offices of 100 plus people that many women raising children would constantly be ill also from exhaustion. If was always like a cough and sneeze fest yet many women nearly retirement age seem far less stressed and rarely seem ill.

While middle-aged women I have worked with have tended to show up each day without coughing or sneezing. Many women raising children these days trying to balance it with a 40 hour a week job tend to constantly ill from the all the stresses these days.

Another thing is after all the driving and day-care center expenses I wonder how much these women tend to bring home. I guess it is one thing if they have the children's grandparents living with them providing day-care but in general would be interesting to see how much many of these women who work bring home after taxes, day-care expenses, transportation costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 03:47 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
This’ll trigger a few loons. Get your popcorn

Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Many of the health, both physical and mental, ills you're attributing to women in the workplace also affect men.

As it turns out, the workplace (as it currently functions) is just bad for our health.

While I don't think we should relegate women to a housewife role exclusively, I do actually tend to agree that much of women's liberation has mostly just served to increase the size of the workforce. The motivation behind this could be quite troubling, though I'm not one for conspiracy theories. The solution, though, does not involve excluding women but rather from reforming the workplace.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Seriously, though it is great women with children are working if say the grandparents are living in the home and providing all the childcare and cooking dinner and cleaning.

Many women in their 20s and 30s who I have worked are constantly popping pills also from all the stress. Who can blame them if they have 3 or 4 kids and have to work 40 hours a week plus driving nearly as much as a taxi driver.

For me as a single 36 year old man with no even a cat to look after, I love 40 hours but anymore and I get stressed out myself and it is just me and I live close to work.

But in general, after day-care expenses, taxes and transportation costs how much are they even bringing home in many instances.

Many of them are ordering out instead of cooking on a routine basis and getting sick from the stress which means they are paying all these co-pays and deductables brought on by job related stress.

I doubt 47% of women would report poor mental health in Utah and Oregon in the 1950s.

There certainly wasn't 40% obesity.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:54 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It certainly triggered the OP, now didn't it?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems much better than these days. Seems like many, many women are overwhelmed with raising 2 or 3 kids and going to work for 40 plus hours in a very intense and competitive work environment these days.
Why don't dads stay home and deal with the kids? Why do you assume that it must be the woman?

Quote:
40% female obesity nationwide and 47% of women reporting poor mental health in Utah and Oregon from all the modern day stresses.
What accounts for all the obesity and mental health problems in men?

Quote:
I know from working in large offices of 100 plus people that many women raising children would constantly be ill also from exhaustion.

While middle-aged women I have worked with have tended to show up each day without coughing or sneezing. Many women raising children these days trying to balance it with a 40 hour a week job tend to constantly ill from the all the stresses these days.
I was a stay-at-home Mom for 10 years. When I returned to the workforce I had lost 10 years of building my career, 10 years of paying into Social Security, 10 years of building my 401(k), 10 years when technology and business moved quickly past where I left off. Now as a divorced woman I will never be able to make up what I lost. With so many women having to fend for themselves, losing that is not nothing.

And then we have the basic truth that in the '50s most women stayed home because their choices were very limited anyway. As a woman who watched my mom go through this, when her own aspirations were considered not important, and she has anger and regrets about a career she was denied, I have no desire to return to those days.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Seriously, though it is great women with children are working if say the grandparents are living in the home and providing all the childcare and cooking dinner and cleaning.

Many women in their 20s and 30s who I have worked are constantly popping pills also from all the stress. Who can blame them if they have 3 or 4 kids and have to work 40 hours a week plus driving nearly as much as a taxi driver.

For me as a single 36 year old man, I love 40 hours but anymore and I get stressed out myself and it is just me and I live close to work.

But in general, after day-care expenses, taxes and transportation costs how much are they even bringing home in many instances.

Many of them are ordering out instead of cooking on a routine basis and getting sick from the stress which means they are paying all these co-pays and deductables brought on by job related stress.

I doubt 47% of women would report poor mental health in Utah and Oregon in the 1950s.

There certainly wasn't 40% obesity.
Actually during the 50s and 60s my mother got her LLB and her LLM while raising 5 children. She was rather busy and organized though not much of a house keeper.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:57 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
I think feminism continues to evolve and takes many forms. To me it is about women having the choice to be in the workforce if that is what she and her family decides is best for their particular circumstances. It also means that women who choose to stay home are valued for the work they do there. No matter if every woman wanted to stay home and raise kids now (which is of course not the case) the economy that made that possible for a large portion of the country has come and gone.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Many of the health, both physical and mental, ills you're attributing to women in the workplace also affect men.

As it turns out, the workplace (as it currently functions) is just bad for our health.

While I don't think we should relegate women to a housewife role exclusively, I do actually tend to agree that much of women's liberation has mostly just served to increase the size of the workforce. The motivation behind this could be quite troubling, though I'm not one for conspiracy theories. The solution, though, does not involve excluding women but rather from reforming the workplace.
The workplace though will continue to function to try to ring out more and more productivity when the next recession comes.

Companies know from the 2008 recession, how lean they really be to operate which has continued even with 4% unemployment rates.

When the next recession, many employers will demand more and more productivity and hours and only keep the very most loyal employees.

I personally am extremely loyal myself but also don't chase the biggest paycheck.

Many millennials especially those with large families chase the biggest paycheck and then they complain that the productivity requirements are just to much. It is just common sense if an employer wants twice the revenue per-employee that they are going to require twice as much productivity in that field.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think feminism continues to evolve and takes many forms. To me it is about women having the choice to be in the workforce if that is what she and her family decides is best for their particular circumstances. It also means that women who choose to stay home are valued for the work they do there. No matter if every woman wanted to stay home and raise kids now (which is of course not the case) the economy that made that possible for a large portion of the country has come and gone.
True. Wage stagnation has made living on one salary very difficult. Real wages have not kept pace with the cost of living. Two incomes are necessary for many, if not most, families these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies