Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do tell. Got analysis? Or just stamping your feet?
I don't stamp feet.

I offered an opinion. Obama was ranked very high on this list in the original post, yet during his administration democrats lost over 1100 seats in state houses, governorships, the wh, the house and the senate. democrats lost virtually all power outside of local politics. does that sound like an effective administration to you?

carry on with the name calling and partisan fights. I won't participate.

edited to add tweet. while nate silver's opinion is the same as mine that this ranking speaks poorly of presidential scholars, he makes a different, valid point about why.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/st...16457605410816

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-19-2018 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: add tweet by nate silver

Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The OP specifically mentioned Obama in the first post of the thread.

Thus, we are discussing Obama as well as Trump which is par for the course in a partisan argue-fest like this thread.

I'm just shocked the OP didn't state that the Historians rankings were grounds for impeachment.
You're right. I went back and looked at the OP and he did bring up Obama.

That said, the NewsMax article focused on speciously selective stats on one aspect of the Obama years and not an overall comparative evaluation. Furthermore, that all noted, in spite of the stats selected, the Obama years marked the trajectory for the economics now being attributed to the Chumpster. Thus we see a partisan agenda being advanced sophistically - compared to a full spectrum survey.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
Myself and many other independents were willing to give him a chance at the outset. I remember the backlash from the left when he won was immense, and I sat back at laughed at their emotional reaction to this. One year later, I'm not really laughing, and feel immense embarrassment with him antics that seem to be winding back the clock on our reputation as a nation. I think it's pretty fair to say he's been the worst president in my lifetime from public perception standpoint. While the stock market has flourished during his first year, the market has been trending up for quite some time, and I'll bestow credit if this maintains over his presidency.
Did you notice what Obama and his thugs did to our government and American workers? I don't agree with President Trump's language or some of his personal behavior but he did win the election and has done more for Americans than the great noble peace prize winning idiot ever did or could. President Trump isn't perfect but he is a huge improvement over the Clinton/obama scandals, and there is more to come on that.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I don't stamp feet.

I offered an opinion. Obama was ranked very high on this list in the original post, yet during his administration democrats lost over 1100 seats in state governments, governorships, the wh, the house and the senate. democrats lost virtually all power outside of local politics. does that sound like an effective administration to you?

carry on with the name calling and partisan fights. I won't participate.
Partisan control swings are entirely common and predictable. Given the total package dumped at Obama's doorstep upon taking office, I'd say he did a remarkable job of triage and repair. You might assume I thus am a democrat in love with Obama's ideological platform ... and you'd be quite wrong. He was handed one of the biggest buckets of sg8t any president has ever inherited. He made decisions and compromises that made me grind my teeth and mutter. But all told he righted the ship ... only to now see it destroyed anew and worse.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:16 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
Criticism of our president is akin to supporting communism.....that is really something.
Criticism of the president is fine.
Calling him the worst president of all time, in a presidency 1/4 completed, when the facts would indicate otherwise --- yep -- if you are saying all of those things you have a communist leaning agenda.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
It's not fair to evaluate a sitting president.

That said there are some interesting trends in historiography that are indicated by that list.

Obama and Reagan, both men who conducted themselves with great dignity in the White House, rising towards the top. Although it's interesting that LBJ, a man who in private was quite Trumpian but who was protected by the media and WH staff from being publicly exposed as a vulgarian, has risen in stature.

Clinton and Kennedy being "punished" because of MeToo. Jackson and Wilson decreasing in stature because of their racism presumably

George W. Bush moving towards the middle of the Presidential pack, which is really where he belongs, now that the rancor of his Administration has faded.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Criticism of the president is fine.
Calling him the worst president of all time, in a presidency 1/4 completed, when the facts would indicate otherwise
Except they don't indicate otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
yep -- if you are saying all of those things you have a communist leaning agenda.
Or I just love my country--which I do--and am dismayed by the joke in the White House--which I have in common with the majority of Americans. You guys are the outliers here.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
A sitting president cannot be fairly evaluated.

That said I am not surprised Obama and Reagan have increased their historical stature. Whatever thinks of the policies of both men, they both conducted themselves with great dignity in the White House.

I am also not surprised that George W. Bush, now that the rancor and controversy of his Administration has died down, is now being percieved as having a presidency in the middle of the pack, that the treatment of women by JFK and Clinton is hurting their historical reputations, and that the racism of Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson is hurting their reputations.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Wow, Trump is already voted the worst president ever

Who would have thought????

Look what he has done and doing for the country:

Destroying our alliances.
Alienating our allies.
Undermining our Constitution.
Obliterating our institutions.
Subverting our judiciary.
Obstructing Justice.
Corrupting the Presidency.
Crippling the Country's financial health.
Ruining the dollar.
Making an ass of himself and the country every day on Twitter.
Making an fool of himself during times of crisis.
Inciting civil Unrest.
Dividing the Country.

That is the first year only.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Rank your favorite homicidal maniacs!
Some Homicidal Maniacs are "Very Fine People".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies