Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
Do you have a source for your claim?
Sure, four or five millennia of human history. On self-interest driving individual behavior, 350+ years of writing on human behavior and the human condition within various societies that have occurred since the Scottish Enlightenment.

You could also read Plato and Aristotle as primers, maybe some of the classicists going back to the Renaissance.

Wasn't aware I was writing a term paper and needed to footnote general history. Have you provided a bibliography for your claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
I don't think capitalism is good or bad, I think it just is.

The word "capitalism" was popularized by Karl Marx to define the status quo in the mid-19th century, mostly as a pejorative. So arguing the merits of "capitalism" puts you behind the 8-ball, as the terms of the debate have been defined to cast capitalism in a negative light.

But free enterprise and private property rights have a much older lineage. They are almost impossible to outlaw, and terrible things happen when they are outlawed to greater and lesser degrees.

That said, private property ownership and free enterprise have a darker tinge. Not everyone is equally capable of participating in these systems. Moreover those who excel accrue momentum that is hard to break, especially when compound interest is involved. Add in the morally dubious (yet I believe, ultimately necessary) institution of inheritance, and you have a system ripe for abuse.

Again, I think all of these bad aspects of capitalism are necessary. Our species is an apex predator, and we would overrun the world and destroy the ecosystem if we could not keep ourselves in check. Given that capitalist exploitation is often made possible by surplus population, I see it as a necessary check on the human population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies