Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:14 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Constitution is quite clear that our government is not to promote any one religion.

Billy Graham was not America's Pastor. He was not my pastor, nor was he the pastor of any of my Catholic neighbors, or my Jewish neighbors, or my Wiccan neighbors, or my Muslim neighbors, or ...

According to reports, he has a net worth of over $25 million and this does not include the millions in real estate owned by him ministry but used by Billy Graham and his family.

That a man preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ would accumulate so much wealth while children go hungry, people are homeless, ... does even sound like he understood what he was preaching.

Evangelicals want to hold a grand funeral? So be it.

But leave the U.S. government out of it.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:15 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
I don't know how Rosa Parks got into this discussion as she was involved with the fight for Civil Rights not the fight to shove Evangelical Christianity down everyone's throat.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I had nothing against the man personally, but Billy Graham was a private citizen and religious figure not a politician, so why is he being afforded a priviledge normally reserved for Presidents and National political leaders?
Nothing wrong with it, and it has nothing to do with Separation of Church and State.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I had nothing against the man personally, but Billy Graham was a private citizen and religious figure not a politician, so why is he being afforded a priviledge normally reserved for Presidents and National political leaders?
You have the right of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't know how Rosa Parks got into this discussion as she was involved with the fight for Civil Rights not the fight to shove Evangelical Christianity down everyone's throat.
She was the last civilian to lie in the House rotunda, I believe.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-310 View Post
you have the right of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

nonsense!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Constitution is quite clear that our government is not to promote any one religion.

Billy Graham was not America's Pastor. He was not my pastor, nor was he the pastor of any of my Catholic neighbors, or my Jewish neighbors, or my Wiccan neighbors, or my Muslim neighbors, or ...

According to reports, he has a net worth of over $25 million and this does not include the millions in real estate owned by him ministry but used by Billy Graham and his family.

That a man preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ would accumulate so much wealth while children go hungry, people are homeless, ... does even sound like he understood what he was preaching.

Evangelicals want to hold a grand funeral? So be it.

But leave the U.S. government out of it.
Quit complaining. Billy wasn't my pastor either but I can respect his life and good works. He accomplished more than almost anyone, including you or I, will accomplish.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:09 AM

17,009 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Separation of church and state? You mean the Ku Klux Klan produced Supreme Court ruling? (Look up the KKK and their anti-Catholic stance and hence desire to get rid of prayer in schools to attack Catholics (and I'm Protestant, not Catholic, so I don't have a pro-Catholic agenda. Indeed, I've called out the Catholic "church" many times for their many recent pro-globalist stances.) via their lawyer turned Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black.

BTW, that ruling likely has more to do with the Florida shooting than the NRA.
True. I live in a county the Klan was active in until like 1980. Ive seen their propaganda. It was not anti black or Jewish as both populations are very low in this county. The propaganda was against Catholic church and the evil papacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh, I suppose he’s as worthy as anyone else.

I’m certainly no fan of any religious leaders, but he did have an exalted place in the culture, although I’ll never really understand why.
Relative political neutrality

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You have the right of freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
I agree. (sorry)

Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,878 times
He was a great person.. why do people have to hate so much, OP?.
People could look at him and be inspired to be selfless and be good to fellow human beings. He was not a perfect man, but he truly served his faith and this country

Old 02-23-2018, 05:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

I agree. (sorry)

HOW does an American not have the right of freedom from religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies