Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Just a question...because I could care less about Dick's, I don't think I've ever shopped there to begin with...But how can a store say they won't sell to anyone under 21 if the law says that an 18 year old can buy a shotgun? Isn't age discrimination against the law? Is this the cake baker quandary all over again?
Your favorite judge, Andrew Napolitano disagrees with you and claims that the only states who can't refuse to sell guns to people under 21 are those who have an age discrimination law that prohibits age discrimination to 18 year olds. Federal law only prohibits age discrimination in hiring for people over 40. He claims that the exception would be New Jersey which prohibits age discrimination regardless of age but I looked up the New Jersey law and it only relates to employment, not commerce.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...il-rights-laws

And while he did not mention it, if you are correct, then where are the lawsuits against "adult entertainment" video stores that prohibit people from 21 from entering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your favorite judge,
I didn't know I had a favorite judge....

Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I haven't read the whole thread - I don't have the time or inclination to do so. So maybe I'm repeating what others have said and if so, I'm sorry.

My position. I am not an NRA member. I'd say I feel neutral at best about the NRA in general. That being said, my husband IS an NRA member. I open the mail, I see the mail from the NRA. I can assure you that "member discounts" have never been pushed at my husband, he's never utilized them, and they were absolutely ZERO part of his decision to become an NRA member. Until this latest political posturing, I didn't even know that NRA discounts existed. And after checking the website, they are clearly not much of a big deal.

What IS a big deal to me though, is that some companies (and celebrities) feel as if they "should" voice their political opinions in a loud, big way. Listen, Sean Penn and ilk - I don't care what your political views are. In fact, I'll go further and say not only do I not CARE, I don't even want to hear them. Same with companies. I don't care whether the company leadership at Enterprise likes the NRA or ThinkProgress or whoever. I don't want to know about it. I want them to keep their opinions to themselves.

So today I shot off an email to Amazon and here's what it basically said: "Thank you for not kowtowing to political parties and pundits. I am not a member of the NRA. Nor do I want to know anything about Amazon's leaderships' position on the NRA or other political issues. Frankly, as a long term Amazon Prime member, what I like about shopping with Amazon is your convenience. Period. I don't want to hear about anything else. So thank you for trying to rise above the political ruckus and for refusing to be bullied by political activists and armchair activists."

I encourage anyone else who has any sort of opinion on this matter to contact Amazon as well. Just log in and go to Help/Contact us/Prime membership and take it from there.

I am sick of all this. And I wish I hadn't already made a reservation with Enterprise for a vehicle in a few days because out of the long, stupid list of companies posturing politically, this was the only company that I regularly use (never even realized they offered NRA membership discounts - they have certainly never brought up the subject with my husband or me so apparently it was never a big deal anyway). Believe me, when I pick up the car, they are going to hear from me. I think this whole brouhaha is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM

29,437 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is easy to dismiss people like me who will not want to do business with FedEx until they dump the discount but it don't matter to the right. What i find is the right talk about how powerful boycotts are until it is affecting them.

So, you basically want to bully someone , in this case a corporation, into your way of thinking. Interesting. I thought bullying was frowned upon ?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Actually boycotts never work according to statistics but try to tell that to J. C. Penney. Their store closed here.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Now conservatives are trying to tell businesses what to do? What nerve. I would move the Hub to a city that doesn’t use political pressure to get what they want. The Republicans have really changed their philosophy.....
All I want is for the leadership of companies (and celebrities for that matter) to keep their political opinions to themselves. I am UNINTERESTED in their political views. I don't shop on Amazon for political reasons. I don't watch movies or TV because of the political opinions of the celebrities on the shows. Frankly, I don't even want to hear what their views are.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Actually boycotts never work according to statistics but try to tell that to J. C. Penney. Their store closed here.
I don't know what's going on with JCPenney but I suspect it has less to do with boycotts and more to do with merchandise and marketing. They pretty much suck in most departments, though their home goods are surprisingly nice when it comes to quality.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, you basically want to bully someone , in this case a corporation, into your way of thinking. Interesting. I thought bullying was frowned upon ?
Since when is boycotting bullying?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:39 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Shots fired at school.....teacher in custody. So much for that idea.
UPDATE: Teacher taken into custody after reports of shots fired at Dalton High School | Times Free Press

Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No that is a problem in retail in general. Sears and Toys R Us go both have economic issues looming and didn't have boycotts like Penney did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know what's going on with JCPenney but I suspect it has less to do with boycotts and more to do with merchandise and marketing. They pretty much suck in most departments, though their home goods are surprisingly nice when it comes to quality.
Yeah though the whole Dump Trump thing didn't help matters. As I've said though, many other retail stores are in similar issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies