Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This nation is full to the brim of nuts and mentally ill people.
Most of them working for liberal media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am on the fence, but definitely more conservative, and yet, I lean towards ending this type of weapon except for military and law enforcement use...special forces, swat.
And what do you really think that will accomplish? Do you think these people will just not commit mass murder because you banned the AR15? Or is it virtually guaranteed they'll just use something else because you have done absolutely nothing to address the actual problem? The gun isn't causing them to do these things, banning the tool isn't going to change or stop the person.

The FBI, police and schools ignoring the problem and dismissing all warning signs isn't going to be resolved by banning the AR15.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:09 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I am so sick and tired of right/left attacking each other....and so sick of people not using their minds....

first off, it takes a village to raise children, nothing in life, and I say nothing is 100% full proof....we will never stop people from killing other people but, we can put into place some effective measure, and that first measure is raise your kids to get off the streets, stop taking drugs, and possess respect for life. That is the whole root of this problem.

Then the communities have to come together and decide what they want to do and what they can do to help....it ain't going to be easy, this cancer in our society has been festering now for 50 years, to the point where criminals are given more empathy than victims....that has to stop.

There will always be people killing each other, and I've tried offering some things that schools can do, but it was shot down immediately b/c it's not a quick fix...and people want quick fixes so they can forget about it until the next time.

Taking guns away isn't the answer.....there will be another and another and another, until you no longer have guns, and then what, how will you take away knives, ropes, bombs, etc....?????

People think about raising kids differently....getting strict, and responsible parents.

Think about it next time you run down Trump or Obama in front of your kids...they are watching, and when you do that about anyone, they're picking up on it and doing the same thing in schools. Your actually teaching your kids to bully and telling them it's ok to do so.

Obey the laws, stop texting and talking on the phones while your driving....so that kids learn not to do it....

Stop at a yellow light and stop running red lights....stop at stop signs and do the speed limit, period.

there are so so many things we can do in schools to protect the kids....will it be 100% effective, no, but at least schools are trying something, and don't be afraid to share ideas between school districts....

stop allowing your political affiliations to divide this country. Not all people are all bad....

Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Just a quick question.... What do you folks Really want:

Gun control

Fewer Deaths

You could Magically remove all firearms from the planet and still kids would die (100/year just walking/biking to school ~ https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/349380002/). By all accounts, you would save more lives by either banning or highly restricting automobiles.

I know, big picture logical thinking... not based on emotions or feelings. I should feel ashamed....
They want gun control, period, end of story. Have you ever seen one of them admit people use firearms to defend themselves? They certainly ignore the tens of thousands (bare minimum) that do so every single year, they have no problem sacrificing those people as long as they can push their agenda.

Even though firearms are 9x as likely to be used defensively than for homicidal they want them banned. Even the rabidly anti gun Violence Policy Center showed 95,000 defensive gun uses PER YEAR from 2013-2015.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gunpolitics...ap&sh=d73277ce

Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
more moonbat lunacy. no, it's not The Onion.
Quoting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethelaw.net
There are many reasons to be against President Wayne LaPierre Donald Trump’s idea to arm teachers in public schools. It’s dangerous. It’s expensive. It changes the core-competency of “teaching.†And, you know, it’s not actually going to deter mass shooters.

But there’s one more problem that I’m sure most white people haven’t thought about yet: arming American teachers will directly result in students of color being shot to death at school.
--
We’ll be telling teachers to shoot armed terrorists breaching the school. What’s really going to happen is an unarmed black truant loitering in a hallway he’s not supposed to be in who gets shot eight times by the jumpy choir director.
https://abovethelaw.com/2018/02/you-...teacher-right/
This is a racist blog, abovethelaw.net. We assume that it's black people who will go truant or misbehave. Low expectations of minority groups are insensitive and racist.

I think miscreants, school shooters or otherwise should put themselves at risk of serious consequences, even death. Freedom requires self-discipline.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am so sick and tired of right/left attacking each other....and so sick of people not using their minds....

first off, it takes a village to raise children, nothing in life, and I say nothing is 100% full proof....we will never stop people from killing other people but, we can put into place some effective measure, and that first measure is raise your kids to get off the streets, stop taking drugs, and possess respect for life. That is the whole root of this problem.

Then the communities have to come together and decide what they want to do and what they can do to help....it ain't going to be easy, this cancer in our society has been festering now for 50 years, to the point where criminals are given more empathy than victims....that has to stop.

There will always be people killing each other, and I've tried offering some things that schools can do, but it was shot down immediately b/c it's not a quick fix...and people want quick fixes so they can forget about it until the next time.

Taking guns away isn't the answer.....there will be another and another and another, until you no longer have guns, and then what, how will you take away knives, ropes, bombs, etc....?????

People think about raising kids differently....getting strict, and responsible parents.

Think about it next time you run down Trump or Obama in front of your kids...they are watching, and when you do that about anyone, they're picking up on it and doing the same thing in schools. Your actually teaching your kids to bully and telling them it's ok to do so.

Obey the laws, stop texting and talking on the phones while your driving....so that kids learn not to do it....

Stop at a yellow light and stop running red lights....stop at stop signs and do the speed limit, period.

there are so so many things we can do in schools to protect the kids....will it be 100% effective, no, but at least schools are trying something, and don't be afraid to share ideas between school districts....

stop allowing your political affiliations to divide this country. Not all people are all bad....
I love the quotation about a village raising a child
I wish we were pulling together and doing that
Clearly we are not
The village member that stands up to a violent minor will find him or her self thrown under the bus in a jiffy

Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I love the quotation about a village raising a child
I wish we were pulling together and doing that
Clearly we are not
The village member that stands up to a violent minor will find him or her self thrown under the bus in a jiffy
The violent minor will be cast as a "victim."

Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I agree to an extent but would worry teachers would kill all sorts of children or the children attacking teachers would gain access to the teachers guns and kill the teachers or other students.

It is a really dumb idea IMO to arm teachers.

If, as a nation we are serious about securing our schools we need to do like they used to do (and in some areas still do) in inner city neighborhoods and put armed police officers in schools, have procedures to check everyone with airport style metal detectors coming into the school for weapons (including students, parents, teachers, and employees at the school) and that way rogue students or former students or mental patients won't have access to our schools to kill our educators and children.

FWIW I've been listening to a lot of black media programs who are asking the questions of why don't these sorts of mass murder shootings happen in predominantly black schools when everyone labels us and our kids as criminals (especially murderers and especially of each other). One of the main reasons why it doesn't is because predominantly black schools have a lot of security. And this is primarily because students and parents want the increased security due to living in dangerous inner city neighborhoods (they want the schools to be a "safe place")

I think more wealthier neighborhoods don't want that sort of security in the schools as they think it will have their kids being treated like criminals. But honestly, as a mother of two children in school, I'd rather my kid go through a metal detector than have a teacher with a gun in the classroom.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree to an extent but would worry teachers would kill all sorts of children or the children attacking teachers would gain access to the teachers guns and kill the teachers or other students.

It is a really dumb idea IMO to arm teachers.
Not really. The nuts still know that they aren't the only armed people in the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If, as a nation we are serious about securing our schools we need to do like they used to do (and in some areas still do) in inner city neighborhoods and put armed police officers in schools, have procedures to check everyone with airport style metal detectors coming into the school for weapons (including students, parents, teachers, and employees at the school) and that way rogue students or former students or mental patients won't have access to our schools to kill our educators and children.
As a former student I visited my old high school for four or five years after graduation. I stopped when most of the teachers had retired. My older son, about to graduate college, still helps build and break down theater sets at his high school. Neither of us have committed a massacre. I feel that if we want schools to be part of the community their alums should have access. We have to stop the "no profiling" nonsense and use common sense about people's behavior. And not disarm everyone in sight.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not really. The nuts still know that they aren't the only armed people in the building.

As a former student I visited my old high school for four or five years after graduation. I stopped when most of the teachers had retired. My older son, about to graduate college, still helps build and break down theater sets at his high school. Neither of us have committed a massacre. I feel that if we want schools to be part of the community their alums should have access. We have to stop the "no profiling" nonsense and use common sense about people's behavior. And not disarm everyone in sight.
You ignored the part of my post that stated that security would prevent mass shooters from gaining access to schools. Just like we are scanned and searched for concerts, clubs, airports and other venues, kids and ll visitors and teachers and administrators should be security checked everyday at schools.

Also, as I noted, students already beat up teachers daily in the USA. A teacher having a gun is just a homicide waiting to happen. A big strong kid, or a wiry strong kid could wrestle a gun from a teacher and kill him/her and some classmates in a rage. Also, there are some crazy teachers out there who have very strange thoughts/views about their charges and as a parent, I don't trust any teacher with a gun teaching my kid. They are not trained and that is not their profession. Get some armed security guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies