Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,126,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You act as if the West hasn't ever tried private police and military as far back as the 1600s or probably earlier and the results were not better. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

Just because public police aren't perfect and sometimes are not good, doesn't mean they don't do a lot of good mostly. And it certainly doesn't mean a privatized law enforcement would be better.
Public police USED to be a lot better, way, way back in the day. They used to be "peace officers." They were still agents of the State, but they were more often than not not unionized and actually had accountability toward their employers (us).

Nowadays they're called "law enforcement" and have no accountability because their unions shield (pun intended) from wrongdoing. Just like teachers' unions.

A voluntary free-market approach would allow different security companies to compete against one another for the services of their customers and would ensure better service, much cheaper I would add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 02:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
People like you have been a dime a dozen since the beginning of time. In my own life I remember you from the Viet Nam protestors, the flower children and the drop outs of the 60's. And later, the human shields in Baghdad.

Your opinion doesn't count. You pretend to be intellectually superior and believe that you have all the answers and no questions at all. I have seen where you posted your "thoughts" on veterans who served in various wars and seen how you view patriots as clueless suckers, who, if recognized at all, should be pitied. The real heroes, you have stated, are the ones who left the country in the 60's in order to avoid the draft.

I've heard it all before. And I ain't buying it.
Why did we fire up to 100,000 bullets in Vietnam for each enemy kill? I assume soldier have better weapons and intelligence than an deputy who is outside and has a handgun.

The whole debate about cops aside (having known some who did unspeakable things, I may be biased in that situation - also know some who had morals and had to leave the force because no one else did)...to expect someone to charge into a long rifle fullisade with a handgun is ridiculous.

What did our troops in Vietnam do when a firefight started. Yes, they got as low to the ground as possible, behinds trees and mounds and sprayed bullets nowhere in particular holding the rifle over their body or head. There is no other way to expend 50K to 100K bullets for each kill...

People expect too much out of other people.

I wonder how many people here - honestly - if they were outside armed with a pop-gun (9mm pistol) - would charge a AR-15 spewing deadly bullets at one or two per second. Add to that no knowledge of how many shooters there were and where they were.

I think the old saying becomes important here - most would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Or, laid off from the force instead of dead or in a wheelchair.

School shootings will have to be stopped some other way. Don't expect human beings to ever do so unless it's a lucky break (cop in stairwell and kid with gun doesn't see him and heads down stairs....)

Note - I see nothing in the Oath of Honor or other documents that say a police officer should stand in front of an active shooter and take it for the team.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,888,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Public police USED to be a lot better, way, way back in the day. They used to be "peace officers." They were still agents of the State, but they were more often than not not unionized and actually had accountability toward their employers (us).

Nowadays they're called "law enforcement" and have no accountability because their unions shield (pun intended) from wrongdoing. Just like teachers' unions.

A voluntary free-market approach would allow different security companies to compete against one another for the services of their customers and would ensure better service, much cheaper I would add.
I don't believe so. Privatized police would seek a monopoly and maximized profit. It's private corporations today infringing on rights and being unaccountable as much as the government.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Choosing to denigrate an entire group of people based on the actions of a few is always a rock solid plan. Trying to understand how that is any different than the racist cop thinking the young AA man he stopped is a thug because other AAs are thugs. Oh wait, it's exactly the same mentality.
There are many websites solely dedicated to exposing police brutality, which is far, FAR more common than what you see on the nightly news. It's not solely a racial issue, either, as far more white people are victims than what is commonly reported. It just doesn't fit the corporate media narrative.

Quote:
This Florida officer was a chicken, there are other officers that put their life on the line every single day. For that I am thankful for their protection.
That is a misconception spread by police unions and the liberal-corporate media. Loggers are 9 times more likely to die on the job than cops. Roofer are 4 times as likely.

https://qz.com/410585/garbage-collec...trol-officers/
Top 10 Most Dangerous Jobs in the Country: Police Officer is NOT on the List

Old 02-24-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Cops are people. Many try to do a good job and the right thing. But some are more self-serving than others. Society needs to give credit to brave cops and denounce the cowards.
I would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they wouldn't go running to their unions every time something happens.

It's just another example of why all public unions should be abolished.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What do you mean the police answer to no one? They answer to a chain of command all the way up to mayors and sheriffs and governors who are elected.

The problem with American government is fundamentally the electorate most of it being imported in the 20th and 21st century but particularly the last 50 years.
And as elected officials are agents of the State, they inherently protect their own.

Free-market security companies answer to their paying customers. If their product bad, they lose business to the competition, just like any other business.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
THIS....

I'm grateful for LE officers...
I'd rather be grateful for a non-unionized, non-governmental entity instead of a unionized, governmental monopoly.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
While I'm in favor of people being held accountable, you DO realize how most instances of privatized cops would work out in America, right?

You'd probably have to give your credit card number over the phone to 911 before they would consider assisting you, and even then, service would be proportional to income.

I also laugh at how bad private cops would be with local monopolies. Think your cable or telecom company is bad? Imagine if the police worked that way - "your call is very important to us; we'll be in your neighborhood between the hours of... 9 AM and... 9 PM... on... Tuesday, February 30th. Thank you for being our customer."

Ugh... the sad irony? The only places where this idea seems to be working are hard-left... ironic...
Monopolies are the creation of the State. No State, no monopolies.

A truly free market (which we're not even close to having) would open the door to as many competing security companies as the market can bear. Some would survive, some wouldn't.

The companies could charge for their services any way they see fit. But I bet you're one of those who LOVES to pay their taxes--for the "common good."

Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM

5,863 posts, read 3,304,961 times
Totally ashamed at their actions. We were always taught to run towards danger. Yes you need to use tactics. You would be a fool if you didn't. However this was totally unacceptable!

Old 02-24-2018, 03:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
...Who are somehow SHOCKED by the fact that they were too cowardly to do their jobs and stop Cruz, maybe this will be your libertarian wake up call to realize once and for all that cops are not here to protect us.

According to Warren vs. District of Columbia, 1989, it was ruled that cops do not have a duty to protect us.

https://www.firearmsandliberty.com/k...rotection.html
Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone - The New York Times

It has been shown over and over again that just like all government employees, cops only serve themselves and others of their kind. "Officer safety" takes precedence over actually serving the people who are forced to pay their salaries/pensions through their stolen tax dollars, and they now serve mainly as uniformed revenue collectors.

It always amazes me when anti-union, so-called "small-government conservatives" bow at the altar of cops, when they have an incredibly strong public union that protects them against most wrongdoing. The police unions make the UAW and the Teamsters look like Girl Scouts.

It is long past time to abolish unionized government police and adopt a market-based system of privatized police, who would be held accountable to their customers. It's working well in San Francisco and the UK:

San Francisco's Private Police Force - Reason.com
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/549114...rder-and-rape/

Currently, the State-run police monopoly has no accountability.

Good. Next time you need to call someone for help, call a Girl Scout.

Cops aren't perfect, but you take their job and see how much you like the dirty jobs they get. They deal with people we do not want to get our hands dirty with, every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies