Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:05 AM

14 posts, read 5,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Corporate America is beholden to leftist activists, has been for a while now. They are so afraid of boycotts and lawsuits that they cave in to the demands of these leftist groups. I always take notice of corporations who make a show of thier left wing social positions and avoid doing business with them. I also try to take my business to companies who have values I support. I spent a lot of money in Hobby Lobby during Christmas this year because they are a well known Christian company. I also make a point to eat at chic fillet for the same reason. If a company wants to get political then I will consider thier position when I spend my money. The smart business focuses only on selling thier service or products and leaves political opinion out of it. This latest round of companies taking anti gun positions is indeed something I am taking notice of.
It's not that they are beholden to so called "leftist activists". Any business that currently markets nationally or plans to market nationally in the future have to do this at some point. I was told at a recent meeting with a marketing executive at one of the largest retailers that companies are currently focused on age 15-55 since they are the ones with the most purchasing power in the foreseeable future. Among them age 15-37 (millennials+) are the prime target for marketing due to their numbers.

One person told me if you are a national business and do not cater toward this group, then you are dead. You can call them liberal/leftist activists or whatnot, but according to the executive, studies have shown that the vast majority of them care about social issues more than any other generation and will disassociate with companies that do not share the same idea (maybe not in every issue but the major ones). With the advent of social media, it is absolutely terrifying as a national company knowing that your brand could be destroyed in one day in the eyes of the new generation.

It is rather shocking to see this phenomenon--large corporations, which traditionally supported Republications, switching sides--in less than a decade. The executive told me that it is likely to accelerate in the future because business will follow where the money is, and the money is with these young kids.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:07 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,125,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would be more inclined to shop a business that displays a social conscience. I'd like to see them take it a bit further though and not sell to males under 25, not 21. The male human does not reach emotional maturity until at least that age, so selling very young men guns is not a lot different than selling them to the mentally ill.
Hey, hey c'mon now. I was mature by the time I was 18!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,869,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
For the sake of our kids, let's hope that others will follow their lead and also perhaps our government will make it much harder for average citizens to acquire weapons of war. Close those easy wide open loopholes at the gun shows. If you want an AR-15, you need to be screened and then screened again and then some more after that. This easy access to military grade weapons need to become a thing of the past.

You are absolutely correct. No one had a problem when they passed laws preventing us from buying guns via mail order years ago, it was the sensible thing to do. Tightening up the ability for anyone to just randomly buy a gun at a gun show, or to possess an assault type weapon, is no different.

No one is going to take sensible guns away from sensible people, just ridiculous weapons away from people who have no business owning them in the first place.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Nobody I know that's into guns ever goes into Dicks for their firearms, accessories, and ammo; overpriced. Everyone I know go to gun shows, and they come around where I live 3 or more times a year.

Dicks will not be missed.

I foresee an unprecedented record amount of AR15 sales, high capacity magazines/clips and ammo this year, and years to follow. Thanks again, Liberals for inspiring more Americans to buy AR15's.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,941,172 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I have been putting off upgrading my 20 year old golf set. I think I know where I'll be spending that money now.
Yep. And they have a good line of outdoor shoes, will take the next purchase there rather than DSW. The wallets of Americans in many ways are more powerful that their decisions in the voting booth.

The companies that are stepping away from the NRA and the gun culture are not doing this casually. They clearly have a very strong business case that this is the future direction. A company like Dick's must keep young active people coming into their stores, the post-Columbine generations are their future.

As time goes on, it is perfectly natural that the gun cult will become more and more segregated from mainstream American culture, especially mainstream retail. As someone pointed out above, relegated to gun shows is the first shift.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 AM

89,098 posts, read 44,928,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
These retail pu$$eeze haven't sold scary black rifles for a while. Haven't sold pistols in years. Something fishy about this story's timeline. In any case, this will doom them. Everybody check the calendar!
That, and overpricing their merchandise will doom them. I gave up on them many years ago when their prices were WAY higher than anyone else's on the gear I wanted to buy. I'm an avid camper, hiker, kayaker, etc. Couldn't justify paying higher prices at Dick's.

Quote:
Leftists never learn.
100% agree.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
For the sake of our kids, let's hope that others will follow their lead and also perhaps our government will make it much harder for average citizens to acquire weapons of war. Close those easy wide open loopholes at the gun shows. If you want an AR-15, you need to be screened and then screened again and then some more after that. This easy access to military grade weapons need to become a thing of the past.
Oh brother.
"For the sake of our kids" the battle cry oft heard as they steal our freedom and go through our wallets.
If you cared about kids you'd teach them firearm safety, the importance of self defense and what really happens when the state takes away the citzens guns or as I say "ones natural right of self defense".

As far a screening goes, how about start with the politicians you trip all over yourself to vote for, they kill more children with their (and your) wars than anyone stateside has. Or is it only "our kids" you pretend to care about? Mental illness indeed.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,125,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Yep. And they have a good line of outdoor shoes, will take the next purchase there rather than DSW. The wallets of Americans in many ways are more powerful that their decisions in the voting booth.

The companies that are stepping away from the NRA and the gun culture are not doing this casually. They clearly have a very strong business case that this is the future direction. A company like Dick's must keep young active people coming into their stores, the post-Columbine generations are their future.

As time goes on, it is perfectly natural that the gun cult will become more and more segregated from mainstream American culture, especially mainstream retail. As someone pointed out above, relegated to gun shows is the first shift.
Yes, we need to continue leveraging the power of the wallet in this manner and support companies like Dicks when they make the right decisions and punish organizations like the NRA when they refuse to compromise an inch to help save our kids' lives. NRA is a despicable group. They really should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:20 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh brother.
"For the sake of our kids" the battle cry oft heard as they steal our freedom and go through our wallets.
If you cared about kids you'd teach them firearm safety, the importance of self defense and what really happens when the state takes away the citzens guns or as I say "ones natural right of self defense".

As far a screening goes, how about start with the politicians you trip all over yourself to vote for, they kill more children with their (and your) wars than anyone stateside has. Or is it only "our kids" you pretend to care about? Mental illness indeed.
steal your freedoms?

lmao.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:20 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Yes, we need to continue leveraging the power of the wallet in this manner and support companies like Dicks when they make the right decisions and punish organizations like the NRA when they refuse to compromise an inch to help save our kids' lives. NRA is a despicable group. They really should be ashamed of themselves.
Im sure you'll be rushing over at opening time to get some heated socks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies