Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'll never own a gun - have supported the rights of others to own them, but you folks make it tough to feel sympathetic toward you with your unyielding position on things.
I could have been in the market for one - shooting well is a skill I acquired in Europe, mostly using government-issue firearms, and don't get me started on what a colossal pain in the rear those are. Did a ton of private shooting, too - an employer of mine had a very nice .22 range in the basement.

Arriving in the US, I thought that shooting something small and light (M1 carbine, HK MP5?) could have been fun. It just seems to come loaded with politics I don't care for. And I do have many other activities to occupy my time.

(I've also seen how an actual well-regulated militia stacks up against an army, having been on both sides of the equation. Protip: Bet on the side that has an army.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 07:11 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
More importantly, customers shouldn't receive discounts or other perks based on their affiliations.
You mean like Amex discounts for air travel and car rental? What about affiliate discounts like Executive club membership? Air miles too. Then there's TSA pre-registration for quicker clearance isn't that an 'affiliation'?

I don't think you've thought this through. Many many affiliations receive discounts, like AARP, some insurance companies, some credit card companies (and airline credit cards).

Old 03-02-2018, 07:19 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I thought the exact same thing. The move against Delta by Georgia politicians should be a huge red flag to Amazon.
Imagine if Delta decided to move it's hub from Atlanta & Georgia because of this?

Goodbye busiest Airport in the world !

Old 03-02-2018, 07:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Imagine if Delta decided to move it's hub from Atlanta & Georgia because of this?

Goodbye busiest Airport in the world !

Erm probably not.

Most of the International flights arriving/departing aren't Delta, so some other airline would need to take over those transfers. There aren't enough landing berths at other airports, nor would their be sufficient customs (ATL is a US FPOE and has customs to handle the traffic). Delta is probably running many of the international transfer arrivals to final destination in the US, but if they abandon ATL those transfers need final leg flights from 'not-Delta' and all Deltas ATL-> international and international -> ATL are up for bid from everyone but Delta

Impact to ATL virtually zero. Deltas an average cog in a huge machine, they could HQ outside of ATL, but unless they lose transfer revenue from the big internationals, and international routes, they're still going to pay tax on Jet-A.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Its un-American not to support the right to protect yourself.
You can support the right to protect yourself and not be a fan of the NRA. Maybe Delta doesn't want to be coerced and extorted. My question is why would GA give a rat's azz about any of it?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I could have been in the market for one - shooting well is a skill I acquired in Europe, mostly using government-issue firearms, and don't get me started on what a colossal pain in the rear those are. Did a ton of private shooting, too - an employer of mine had a very nice .22 range in the basement.

Arriving in the US, I thought that shooting something small and light (M1 carbine, HK MP5?) could have been fun. It just seems to come loaded with politics I don't care for. And I do have many other activities to occupy my time.

(I've also seen how an actual well-regulated militia stacks up against an army, having been on both sides of the equation. Protip: Bet on the side that has an army.)

I was dragged to a range years ago and a crowd gathered around me when my buddy made a big deal out of the fact that it was my first (and only) time at the range. Apparently I did better than expected for someone who had no experience. I have no interest in owning a gun. I know some guys who hunt. No interest there either. I'd rather shoot animals with a camera.

No way would anyone be able to protect themselves against the government. They're delusional. And while they're worrying about things like this - they're ignoring all the bigger issues that should really scare the hell out of them about the government.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Delta will hardly be demising anytime soon. But it's wonderful fun watching what happens when a staid American corporation, well respected btw and #71 on the Fortune 500 list, gets in bed with SJWs. And just what kind of class action lawsuit will Delta get hit with if they miss earnings expectations and cut their dividend?

You better believe every other publicly traded American corporation is running this by Legal and paying very close attention to this misfire.
I hope there are a ton of publicly traded American corporations that "misfire" like Delta did. Amazon being one of them. It's bad enough the NRA owns Congress and Trump.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
I hope Atlanta does lose it's bid for HQ2 over this, because it should go to Boston.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I was dragged to a range years ago and a crowd gathered around me when my buddy made a big deal out of the fact that it was my first (and only) time at the range. Apparently I did better than expected for someone who had no experience. I have no interest in owning a gun. I know some guys who hunt. No interest there either. I'd rather shoot animals with a camera.

No way would anyone be able to protect themselves against the government. They're delusional. And while they're worrying about things like this - they're ignoring all the bigger issues that should really scare the hell out of them about the government.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Remind me again-how long has our military been fighting a few ignorant goat herders in Afghanistan?

Old 03-02-2018, 07:53 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Erm probably not.

Most of the International flights arriving/departing aren't Delta, so some other airline would need to take over those transfers. There aren't enough landing berths at other airports, nor would their be sufficient customs (ATL is a US FPOE and has customs to handle the traffic). Delta is probably running many of the international transfer arrivals to final destination in the US, but if they abandon ATL those transfers need final leg flights from 'not-Delta' and all Deltas ATL-> international and international -> ATL are up for bid from everyone but Delta

Impact to ATL virtually zero. Deltas an average cog in a huge machine, they could HQ outside of ATL, but unless they lose transfer revenue from the big internationals, and international routes, they're still going to pay tax on Jet-A.
bob has dreamz..

and now you've crushed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies