Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
How can you be a patriot when you're not thinking in the nation's best interest? A majority of Americans want stricter gun regulations...

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/02/58984...rictions-grows
A recent poll found widespread bipartisan support for a range of gun-control policies, including:
  • requiring background checks for all gun buyers (94 percent),
tough to police with private sales.
[/quote]
  • adding people with mental illnesses to the federal gun background check system (92 percent),[/quote]
laws are already on the books, try enforcing them
[/quote]
  • raising the legal age to purchase guns from 18 to 21 (82 percent),[/quote]
i dont have a problem with that, but i doubt it will help as it will only make felons out of otherwise law abiding people.
[/quote]
  • banning bump stocks (81 percent),[/quote]
i hove no problem with that either, and you can blame the obama administration for making them legal in the first place.
[/quote]
  • banning high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds (73 percent) and[/quote]
and that will do what exactly? magazines can be swapped out quickly enough that unless you are standing right next to the shooter, you cant stop them before they can reload and bring the gun back to bear.
[/quote]
  • banning assault-style weapons (72 percent).[/quote]
ok, a good shooter with a lever action, or even a bolt action rifle can be just as deadly, or better they can use a good handgun and be just as deadly. most people that want to ban "assault style" weapons are just scared of scary black looking rifles. the reality is it wont change anything.

Quote:
The NRA is so opposed to any gun regulation and are instrumental in blocking attempts to put in place sensible gun reform.... they might as well be terrorists as far as I'm concerned.
there is a federal law that prevents the government from requiring that we register our guns, although if you were to buy a firearm from a licensed gun dealer you have to fill out form 4473, which the dealer has to then call in the information on that form, and the gun dealer also has to maintain that form until they go out of business, at which point they have to send those forms to to BATF. so technically we ARE registering our guns every time we buy one from a licensed dealer.

as for the NRA, remember they are the ones that helped set up the instant background check in the first place. as for resisting other gun laws, yes they do try to stop the stupid ones. remember they are protecting YOUR constitutional rights, ALL of them.

if the second amendment can be shredded, what does that say about the first amendment, also under attack by the way, as well as the fourth, fifth, and sixth amendments?

and i will also note that NRA members dont go out killing people in large quantities, in fact NRA members would rather they would rather not kill anyone if they can avoid it. how many of the mass shooters were NRA members? in fact NONE of them were. and the NRA does more than lobby for and against gun laws, they also have gun SAFETY classes across the country, as well as gun education classes.

perhaps instead of making judgements about the NRA based on the hysterics of the gun grabbers, and those that hate the NRA, you might do a little research and educate yourself on the NRA, and other gun lobby groups, and find out what they are really all about. ask questions of the leadership of those groups, and get the information directly from them, you might learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
How can you be a patriot when you're not thinking in the nation's best interest? A majority of Americans want stricter gun regulations...

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/02/58984...rictions-grows
A recent poll found widespread bipartisan support for a range of gun-control policies, including:
  • requiring background checks for all gun buyers (94 percent),
  • adding people with mental illnesses to the federal gun background check system (92 percent),
  • raising the legal age to purchase guns from 18 to 21 (82 percent),
  • banning bump stocks (81 percent),
  • banning high-capacity ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds (73 percent) and
  • banning assault-style weapons (72 percent).

The NRA is so opposed to any gun regulation and are instrumental in blocking attempts to put in place sensible gun reform.... they might as well be terrorists as far as I'm concerned.

Here’s what the NRA does:

Supports YOUR civil liberties through lobbying
Supports YOUR civil liberties through legal action
Supports the rights of gun dealers and manufacturers
Supports firearms education
Supports hunting rights
Publishes a few magazines (the paper kind)

Here’s what the NRA does NOT do:

Condone violence in any way

Buy, sell or trade firearms
The NRA is not a militant organization
Condone gun violence on TV and in the movies
Provide legal council to criminals
Create “gun free zones”
Prevent law enforcement from taking action against dangerous people
Push anti-depressants on dangerous people.
Advocate for a revolving door justice system

Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
^^^Notice how conservatives ignore the post that hits the issue on the head. Obliviousness is what they all have in common.

BTW, the NRA wants to ensure domestic terrorists remain armed with weapons of mass destruction, like AR15s, any bozo can kill dozens if/not hundreds with one ball of right-wing rage.
Give an example.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:23 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
"You're either with us, or you are with the terrorists"
-George W Bush

I rest my case

The case that W, while he may have been a nice guy was full of crap with the 'either support my asinine war of choice or you're with the terrorists' BS?

Old 03-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Supports hunting rights

Create “gun free zones”

The NRA also goads people into believing if you don't send them $$$ someone's gonna break down your door and take your guns. I don't believe the SCOTUS will ever allow any such thing, and meanwhile NRA leadership makes very comfortable salaries paid for by their fear-mongering. I wish they'd stick with education and safety programs, I think it foolish to give large amounts of $$$ to politicians based solely on one issue.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The NRA also goads people into believing if you don't send them $$$ someone's gonna break down your door and take your guns. I don't believe the SCOTUS will ever allow any such thing, and meanwhile NRA leadership makes very comfortable salaries paid for by their fear-mongering. I wish they'd stick with education and safety programs, I think it foolish to give large amounts of $$$ to politicians based solely on one issue.
nah

There are 11 gun owners in my house, only four are NRA members.

What you said (bold) is simply untrue. Nobody believes it.

This is not directed at you. If you want to ban certain guns, that is your opinion. But don't make idiotic statement like AR-15 is assault rifle. It is not. Be honest and don't shut down conversation. let's work together and find out a better way to deal with things.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
nah

This is not directed at you. If you want to ban certain guns, that is your opinion. But don't make idiotic statement like AR-15 is assault rifle. It is not. Be honest and don't shut down conversation. let's work together and find out a better way to deal with things.
That must be why they put out this ad. https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...d-of-your-guns

Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:

Supports hunting rights

Create “gun free zones”
well said lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
really? are you sure of that? are you willing to bet your life on that? the scotus has over the years upheld the unconstitutional 1934 firearms act, why? because they were afraid that FDR would make good on is promise to increase the number of judges on the scotus if they didnt play ball with what he wanted. they also upheld the 1968 firearms act, also unconstitutional, the 1993 assault weapons ban, among other gun legislation. all it would take is five antigun scotus judges to basically shred the second amendment.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That must be why they put out this ad. https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...d-of-your-guns
well

This reminds me of something my sister in law said yesterday. She said, "owning a gun is not a right, it is a privilege." I said, "It is a right." She said, "You don't need AR15, I don't care it is a right or a privilege. You don't need it End of the story." LOL

If gun right is a right, then what kind of guns people own shouldn't matter. If you want to ban certain guns, yes, you want to take that right away from somebody. Plain and simple.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
nah

So all the people who lined up to buy guns when rumors started flying that Obama was gonna come take their guns would've been there anyway? I have faith in the SCOTUS and the Constitution yet I personally know a few who believe the 'they're coming for my guns' blather, I know this from observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies