Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect.

In the United States, the person receiving the subpoena has the right to protest the subpoena. The party issuing the subpoena then has to make the case in front of a judge that it is necessary.

You confuse it with a warrant.
You confuse challenging a federal grand jury subpoena with ignoring a federal grand jury subpoena. The former is a legal protest, the latter usually results in a finding of contempt. Sam Nunberg is referring to the latter. Triggered individuals must find it difficult to stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 05:46 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, let due process play out and the Constitution is very clear about forcing anyone to speak.
A warrant is enforceable, a summons/subpoena isn't. Sure a judge can hassle you, and force you through a warrant to answer, but then I was never accused of a crime to answer for in the first place. Am I being detained? For what crime? Not speaking is not a crime.

I think you have a warrant to appear before the court, conflated with a summons to appear before the court.

To avoid my fees, lawyers try that crap with me all the time, thinking I will be intimidated....
The subpoena is to produce documents, not to speak.

In addition to the president, the subpoena seeks documents that have anything to do with these current and former Trump associates:

Steve Bannon, who left the White House as chief strategist in August.

Michael Cohen, a personal lawyer for Trump who testified before congressional investigators in October.

Rick Gates, Trump's former deputy campaign manager, who pleaded guilty last month to conspiracy and lying to the FBI.

Hope Hicks, who resigned last week as Trump's communications director.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump's campaign manager until June 2016.

Paul Manafort, a former Trump campaign manager and Gates' business partner, who pleaded not guilty to money laundering, conspiracy and making false statements last week.

Carter Page, a former Trump campaign aide.

Keith Schiller, a former bodyguard for Trump who left as director of Oval Office operations in September.

Roger Stone, a longtime Republican political operative and Trump campaign adviser who sources have told NBC News is the focus of investigators interested in his contacts with WikiLeaks during the campaign

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...y-have-n853771

Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
OMG!!! Have you ever seen anything like that? Then he said he hadn't taken anything except his antidepressant meds!
I don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time. This has to be the funniest sideshow to Mueller's investigation.

I thought last week was action-packed. It's only Monday and this week is shaping up to top that.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, we're not talking about trying to force a expert witness to testify.

Your argument is all about that, and refusing to testify as a expert witness unless paid is perfectly fine.

But thats not the topic here.

Is he charged with a crime and indictments handed down with warrants for their arrest to appear?

No....
Am I being detained?
For what crime.
Contempt.
It is not a crime to exercise my constitutional right. It is my constitutional right to remain silent, anything I say will be used against me, and never to help me.
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
For what crime?
It is not a crime to exercise my constitutional 5th amendment right.
Am I free to go....

Yes, a warrant is much different than a summons.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That is generally the limit of Erin Burnnet's investigative journalism skills. I don't know why you guys think you are going to learn anything useful from those yoyos.
We expect the words will tumble out of this guy's mouth. They likely have a mini-bar in the limo shuttling him from studio to studio.

Deep State Limo Services

Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Another one who thinks he's above the law.
Law? What law? This is all about who you are, not what you did. Otherwise Hillary would be in prison already.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
We expect the words will tumble out of this guy's mouth. They likely have a mini-bar in the limo shuttling him from studio to studio.

Deep State Limo Services
OMG. Stop. I almost wet my pants laughing so hard at that one!

Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is he charged with a crime and indictments handed down with warrants for their arrest to appear?

No....
Am I being detained?
For what crime.
Contempt.
It is not a crime to exercise my constitutional right. It is my constitutional right to remain silent, anything I say will be used against me, and never to help me.
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
For what crime?
It is not a crime to exercise my constitutional 5th amendment right.
Am I free to go....

Yes, a warrant is much different than a summons.
No! You are in contempt of court for failure to comply. THAT is decided by the court. You can plead the 5th all day but they can lock you up.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
WOW this guy is a drunk. Erin Burnnet said she smells alcohol on his breath. Are you drinking? He says no.
So he's been on cable news programs all afternoon toasted? That's pretty funny. Seinfeld funny.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
The quality of Russian bots is abysmal these days. Can’t even stay on topic.
That’s a feature, not a bug. This is actually solid botting. We’ve gone from marveling at Nunberg, the human dumpster fire that Trump hired to advise him, to debating the distinction between a summons and a warrant. And somewhere along the way, BentBow blew my mind by suggesting that he gets paid lots of money to spew drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies