Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM

17,344 posts, read 12,301,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Seriously??

Do you really believe one man can tank a market to the tune of 8,000 points?

Use your head and think back... it took years of bad deals to sink the market 4,000 point (33%) in 2008.

It didn't take one man to raise the market to where it is.

C'mon man...
Going by his own standard. If he is responsible for the record setting Dow, he is also responsible for the fall.

But there is more truth in the fall as the market is fluctuating due to his talk of intentionally setting off a trade war and ignoring economic advisors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 06:55 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,479,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
2007 was a year in which the economy was still strong and the stock market was still booming, yet some very real problems with the US economy were starting to show themselves. That came after 2006 which by and large was a very strong year for the economy, much like 2017 was. My prediction is that we will see recession come into clearer focus by the end of 2018 and 2019 will be a very dark year for the economy, much like 2008 and 1929 were. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dow Jones lose 50% or more of it's value by the time all is said and done. We could once again see the Dow below 10,000 depending on how long this lasts and how severe it is.

The tragedy is this one is self-inflicted. Had we not elected Trump, the stock market might not have overheated as much as it has but we would still be on a path towards sustainable economic growth into the next decade.

The trade war will be the event that sets off the collapse. Things are about to get bad. Very bad.
I too am concerned about the possibility of a trade war setting off a recession.

In Wall Street jargon a 'correction' is coming, and pretty much overdue.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats love to tell Americans how bad off they are....
  • Bonuses and Pay increases = Crumbs
  • Keep you money out of stocks because you will lose it.
  • You are a victim of racist Whites and White society
  • The Economy is going to explode.
etc etc.
Deja Vu.

Obama had 77 months of job growth but conservatives complained about the unemployment situation......lol

Old 03-07-2018, 09:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,832,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Deja Vu.

Obama had 77 months of job growth but conservatives complained about the unemployment situation......lol
And then magically the economy was somehow great as soon as Trump took office.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
And then magically the economy was somehow great as soon as Trump took office.
Yup.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 PM

34,094 posts, read 17,157,211 times
Quote:
2007 was a year in which the economy was still strong and the stock market was still booming, yet some very real problems with the US economy were starting to show themselves. That came after 2006 which by and large was a very strong year for the economy, much like 2017 was. My prediction is that we will see recession come into clearer focus by the end of 2018 and 2019 will be a very dark year for the economy, much like 2008 and 1929 were. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dow Jones lose 50% or more of it's value by the time all is said and done. We could once again see the Dow below 10,000 depending on how long this lasts and how severe it is.

The tragedy is this one is self-inflicted. Had we not elected Trump, the stock market might not have overheated as much as it has but we would still be on a path towards sustainable economic growth into the next decade.

The trade war will be the event that sets off the collapse. Things are about to get bad. Very bad.
Your wish list above will not happen.

MAGA instead.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 700,964 times
It's not just the tariffs that are the issue.

Include:
  • Student Loan (and college expense) bubble with debt that can't be discharged
  • Healthcare prices continuing to rise - both insurance and medications
  • Stagnant wages - consumers have less buying power. And no, a small one-time tax cut doesn't change much.
  • Raising rents and home values - while the mortgages are "good" compared to 2008, many are spending more than ideal - a downturn in the economy could have a ripple effect forcing forclosures
  • Turning back banking regulations - possibility for more risky corporate investments

Meanwhile, corporations continue to turn in record profits.

At some point, something is going to be pushed too far and it will cause a domino effect. We might not be as bad as 2008, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a 20-30% drop in the market if we don't start looking ahead.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,040,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You can WISH bad things will happen to America under the Trump Admin all you want. That won't make it so.
I hope it doesn't happen. But even if it did, you'd either deny it or blame ANYONE but Donny. Cult45ers have no credibility.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
LOL.... The high stock market is now a bad thing.

According to many of you... Obama started it... blame him...

Unbelievable...
I seem to remember some of the people complaining about the QE because it bloated the market and now are saying it isn't a problem. I guess political alignment is stronger than the truth...

Quote:
That sounds like a total system problem to me instead of a Trump problem... which is accurate.

How much of that is Trump's fault?
It is always a sitting president's fault. H.W. Bush had the 92 recession even though Reagan left him with the bags from 1987's stock market crash. W. Bush had his two recessions date back to Clinton. Ford was blamed for the stagnation of the mid 1970's even though it started when the heat turned up on Nixon during his second term. Now Trump is reversing Obama stock policy and the air is getting out of the balloon. I agree this was natural considering we played the stocks on house money, but it seemed like Trump policy made it a bigger release than it could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
It's not just the tariffs that are the issue.

Include:
  • Student Loan (and college expense) bubble with debt that can't be discharged
  • Healthcare prices continuing to rise - both insurance and medications
  • Stagnant wages - consumers have less buying power. And no, a small one-time tax cut doesn't change much.
  • Raising rents and home values - while the mortgages are "good" compared to 2008, many are spending more than ideal - a downturn in the economy could have a ripple effect forcing forclosures
  • Turning back banking regulations - possibility for more risky corporate investments

Meanwhile, corporations continue to turn in record profits.

At some point, something is going to be pushed too far and it will cause a domino effect. We might not be as bad as 2008, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a 20-30% drop in the market if we don't start looking ahead.
This is exactly what I am talking about with the Trump issues and other economic issues that make the stock market drop bigger. Now yes, this isn't exactly a stock issue for the entire indexes, but it can lead to it. A number of companies fell in 2008-10 and continue to this day. Retail will have a LOT of potential companies closing: Sears, Toys R Us, Bon-Ton, Stein Mart. Even Walmart are closing some Sam's Club stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I hope it doesn't happen. But even if it did, you'd either deny it or blame ANYONE but Donny. Cult45ers have no credibility.
To be fair to Trump and Lord knows I hate him for many reasons like hypocrisy and crookedness, I can't say he is the sole blame on an economic downturn looming. A lot of it was natural and things the President can't control, though I do say his trade war and elimination of student loan payback.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,680,212 times
We'll know the economy is doomed when Trump starts sending out stimulus checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies