Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
The open borders people don't care about street crime because it doesn't affect them. They'll live in some lily-white suburb that's far removed from all of that mess. But the people who live in the mess will vote Democrat, and that's all that matters.

The rich people in SE Wisconsin aren't that dumb.. some of the wealthiest communities in that part of the state in Ozaukee County like Mequon, for example.. heavily republican area for the most part. When you live near it instead of being distanced from it by your gated community it changes your perception of the issue.

2nd lowest poverty rate of any county in the US and it's a republican county...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozaukee_County,_Wisconsin

Add to the fact there's some good conservative talk radio on the AM in this area that has given an opposing view which people often don't get anymore.... the idea that if you control the media, you control the people, is a very valid one. Belling in Milwaukee is better than any of the national guys like Limbaugh and Hannity. I enjoy his show in Iheart while I'm puttering around the house doing my remodeling stuff during the day.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
the tolerant left will call that racist.

the reasonable, logical people call that a fact.
That's because it is. Thanks for saving me a sentence.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Import the third world, get the third world.

1+1=2

It doesn't even take a 7 year old's intellect to understand this.

Apparently it's hard for many these days.
Well if intellect is part of the equation, please explain what "importing the third world" has to do with Detroit, St Louise, New Orleans and Baltimore making the list?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, it simply is true. The demand for drugs certainly increases crime. Did you actually read the list? Most cities on this list are outside of the United States. I’ve also been to some American cities on this list, crime in Detroit has fallen significantly. Chicago still has a high rate of crime. The problem is street level dealers as well as gang violence in these cities or both.

I’m sure most of these crime rates in these cities were determined on a per capita basis, meaning the rate of crime in proportion to the population, not about the rate of safer neighborhoods surrounding them or how heavily concentrated the crime is.
I was referring to US cities. I have been all over El Paso and I would have no problem being in the worst part of town in the middle of the night. I have been through St. Louis and New Orleans in bad neighborhoods that I felt very uncomfortable being in during the middle of the day.

So to say St. Louis is really no different than El Paso its just way they count the neighborhoods is wrong. And El Paso has a big drug problem but they don't have a large black inner city which is a factor in all of this whether you want to admit it or not. I am not slandering black people just pointing out that the policies of the last 50 years with the great society has failed a big percentage of them.

So its more than just drugs.

In latin america a lot of it is the cartels fighting each other for a bigger share of the business. Not the same in the US. And cartels in places like Juarez who shake down businesses like the Mafia used to do here. You don't pay you die, or your employees or family do instead. When I had a business in El Paso some of my employees were American citizens but lived in Juarez and commuted each day to El Paso. I heard endless stories of what goes on in Latin America first hand just a stones throw away. I knew a business manager who had a Mariquilla in Juarez whose son was kidnapped he needed $10K to get him released. Someone else who worked for me and was a computer tech was offered a job in Mexico. He was told he would need kidnapping insurance if he took the job. Its a war zone on our southern border and in some parts on our side of the border also.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:54 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
WAR ON DRUGS!

That's why.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:05 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I would be more worried about Brazilian immigrants more than any other country looking at the OP;s post. I don't get the "browning of America", the violence in those US cities isn't immigrants and has been there for decades. Yet another thread to make new immigrants the problem with violence, seems like all the violence is in their country of origin not here.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
This is what human right organizations have to say about "the war on drugs", but it applies to mexico and the rest of latinamerican countries.

The “war on drugs” is the main driver of police operations in shantytowns, which often end in death. Brazil´s police killed more than 3,000 people in 2014, according to official data.

Apart from contributing to the spike in homicides and the strengthening of deadly gangs, Brazil’s “war on drugs” has also failed to achieve its objectives. Drugs are more plentiful now and stronger than in the 1970s, when the United States began pushing the rest of the world to fight the illegal drug trade.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/04/19/...-senseless-war

Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
There are plenty of hellholes in the US that won't make the cut because they are small cities.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:51 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
This is what human right organizations have to say about "the war on drugs", but it applies to mexico and the rest of latinamerican countries.

The “war on drugs” is the main driver of police operations in shantytowns, which often end in death. Brazil´s police killed more than 3,000 people in 2014, according to official data.

Apart from contributing to the spike in homicides and the strengthening of deadly gangs, Brazil’s “war on drugs” has also failed to achieve its objectives. Drugs are more plentiful now and stronger than in the 1970s, when the United States began pushing the rest of the world to fight the illegal drug trade.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/04/19/...-senseless-war
I agree 100%. Ending the war on drugs and legalizing drugs would be the best solution for the United States and Latin America. However the 3rd world which starts south of the border in Mexico and goes all the way to the tip of South America relies on the flow of drugs north and the money coming south. I am sure the governments of most of those countries would not want the drug war to end.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:51 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's pretty sick that St Louis is more dangerous than Juarez.
St. Louis has had a lot of problems over the years...especially east St. louis...and Ferguson

some areas are nice...others "do not enter"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies