Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It’s just money right ? Just raise taxes . Isn’t that the liberal way .
We are now the highest taxed state in the union. We have had multi billion dollar tax hikes PASS every 2 years since Moonbeam was re-elected for a 2nd chance at destroying this place. This time he is succeeding, and will most likely run for President again.

We are officially the Twilight Zone state.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:29 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Conservatives have a really weird hangup about trains. They love cars, trucks and airplanes -- but hate train travel. It's very, very odd.
Nope. love trains. I'm glad Cali is doing this, I'll probably use the trains when they come on line.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Mass transit like this can be great for an area - reduces car congestion - many people don't want or can't afford reliable cars and it's quicker and more efficient than driving cars many times.

We have a mass transit line in Buffalo which I've used to get downtown when called to jury duty and it's much more convenient than driving into an area I don't know and trying to find a parking spot in an over priced lot. That said - many of these rails go over cost by quite a lot. The designers often fail to look at the cost to the community. For us in Buffalo - main street died as many stopped coming downtown to shop and eat what parking was available was so expensive. They want to extend it now so that is runs to the new Medical Center - but these plans don't include additional parking lots which would be needed along the whole route.

To try to revitalize Main Street once more - they've cut back the rail line and allowed traffic - great for the main street businesses - not so much as for the people who now have to walk additional blocks to get to the courthouses and arenas for concerts and sporting events - especially when it 20 degrees out.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Get a motorcycle. They take up less space on the road, 4 fit in one parking spot, weigh less so they do not damage roads as much and can be fitted with many of the tech features found in cars.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Rail is great for freight, and we move a LOT of freight by rail. But passenger service was put out of business by the airline industry because the airlines delivered better service, it is faster, and it is far safer. Copying Europe by building high speed rail isn't going to benefit anybody in the U.S. It might serve Europe, but we are not Europe. This is a "progressive's" wet dream. It will always have to be subsidized by government, and it will serve nobody.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Rail is great for freight, and we move a LOT of freight by rail. But passenger service was put out of business by the airline industry because the airlines delivered better service, it is faster, and it is far safer. Copying Europe by building high speed rail isn't going to benefit anybody in the U.S. It might serve Europe, but we are not Europe. This is a "progressive's" wet dream. It will always have to be subsidized by government, and it will serve nobody.
^^^^^^This! I like Regional Rail, and Light Rail in metro areas, but that doesn't work economically either because instead of having a private company run them, it is a quasi government agency with a public sector union. The wages, benefits, and PENSIONS are way above market rates, and KILL any chance of even breaking even. So, it becomes yet another huge drain on the taxpayer.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Liberals love trains. Someone tells them when to get on, when they'll get somewhere, where they can get off, and someone else paying most of the fare. They don't have to think for themselves because government will do it for them.

So, they're like airliners?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
But jobs!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Nope. love trains. I'm glad Cali is doing this, I'll probably use the trains when they come on line.
Aint it great when you can have an armed bulley make your neighbors pay for your stuff? I love america!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:22 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
=> I suspect that the preponderance of overly expensive and limited rail projects is a deliberate tactic to scuttle any transition to electric traction rail. These projects are plagued by red tape, bureaucracy, and cost overruns. By covertly supporting boondoggles, the “road gang” can point their fingers later and say, “We told you so!” <=

Of course, if ever all government meddling was removed - taxes & subsidies - America would be "on track" in a New York minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies