Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
No one would pay it if it was optional.
This attitude is the problem.

Some would pay. The fee isnt signicant for most. Make it an opt out, not an opt in fee.

But the idea that it must be forced, for the "greater good" is what gets many ticked off, that one doesnt have an option. I share that sentiment 100%.

Last edited by snebarekim; 03-11-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 AM

50,243 posts, read 46,997,454 times
If it's a flip phone the slubs won't want it. It has to be an Iphone. So, a good program for people that actually need one.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol...

But I'll take it further than free phones. No matter where you are on the economic scale, the entire world is moving online. Want to bag groceries at your local supermarket? You have to apply online. Same for Section 8 housing and food benefits. Doing your taxes can be ridiculous if you only want paper. Applying for SS or Medicare is much easier online.

Everyone in America should have access to free WiFi. Public libraries across the country should be given grants to help create programs to teach people how to use their phones. Libraries also need funding to help people who can't read to go online and fill out all these forms (just a heads-up, I'm now a librarian and you can't turn your back on people).

I've begun to believe the ability to freely communicate should be a right...I don't mean unlimited free international calls.

Enough of my Sunday soapbox.
I agree with. I think its strange we havent seen someone like Mark Zuckerberg or Jeff bezos, suggest free high speed internet coverage for EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE. Online retailers would LOVE the idea, Id imagine Govt would like it too, just because they can track anyone they like much easier as well as the level of control they would have with this.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And there again, they must prove that they qualify to get free airtime, and it is very limited minutes. I think they get 60 minutes a month. And they are limited to one phone per address and it is cross checked.
60 minutes a month ? That would last me a year or two !

Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I think that is missing the point, as we should not be providing cell phones and service to anyone, even if the phones cost a nickle and the service is $10 per month.

Far too many luxuries are now being provided, not the least of which is cable service. That fee you see on your bill called "universal service fee", is code for you paying for a "underprivileged" slugs cable service.
It is little wonder why so many will not attempt to work when so much is given to them.

`
Go out and try to get a job with no contact number. Let us know how that works out for you.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
60 minutes a month ? That would last me a year or two !
Actually, you can get up to 350 minutes a month and the minutes carry over!

I know someone that has over 1250 minutes on her phone which is about twenty hours!

You must make a minimum of one call a month to keep receiving minutes.

Check the plans for your area below.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr..._features.html

Old 03-11-2018, 04:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Well, I wouldn't qualify, I bought my smartphone in Oct and have used it for 4 minutes so far. In fact, my carrier called me to see if the phone was working.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It's a cheap 10 dollar cell phone
How much does it cost taxpayers per year?

Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How much does it cost taxpayers per year?
Nothing - it's funded through the Universal Service Fee on the phone bill.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM

19,832 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
For you rightees, out there.

Grocery shopping at Wal-Mart the other day and saw a young Hispanic girl walking around with boxes of cell phones asking shoppers if they wanted a free cell phone. She said anyone on food stamps qualifies. It's a brand called Assurance.

DISCUSS!!!

Did you just wake up from a decade long nap to start this troll thread and run? Weak sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies