Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You know whats even funnier people dying of starvation!
No ones stopping YOU from feeding them with YOUR money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No welfare in the early 20th century. Looks like charity isn't enough.

Says who? Since we have government help no ones poor and starving right?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:19 PM

11,252 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Look up the reason the black unwed pregnancy rate was around 24 percent in the late 60s and is around 73 percent now. We incentivised women to have more kids out of wedlock by paying more welfare to single moms.
Liberals know who to pamper when it comes to sure thing votes. Sadly, these same unwanted children end up as a statistic in the legal system, and then liberals say blacks are unjustly imprisoned by a white justice system. They truly have their game down pat.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
that's just a picture......I don't know the personal circumstances of their parents and their whole family.

the world existed for centuries before the big welfare state. The U.S. fought a Revolution war and founded a Republic for over 150 years without the big welfare state. To say we have to have a big welfare state to survive and run a country is not true.
The problem, it's not the 1800's anymore. The world is now full of people, and the earth's resources are limited. Everywhere you go, you are under some form of government, and in the US we have a very big government. Big Brother is never going away, and people do need rules and laws to live by, when they are forced to live in close quarters. The entire planet has become a prison for humans, lol. There is no escape for the foreseeable future. We are stuck with each other and will have to make some hard choices someday. Why not change big brother into something that works for us, something which forces people to clean up their act, challenges us to strive for better. Reward and punishment according to your deeds? If robots can build everything we need, from houses to cars, consumer electronics, automated farming, very fast delivery of everything you really need, provided the board of allotment approves, based on your record. If you perform community service, keep your living spaces clean, stay out of trouble and prove you won't disturb others in the slightest, you might be awarded a small condo or house in a very nice area, as you get older and have proved yourself worthy to live around people that wish to live by the golden rule.

You might also be cast down like S thru a goose, if you can't get along. What will the neighbors think? That's a good old phrase we need to bring back. Fear of what your neighbors will report about you, and what the ensuing investigation will do to your standard of living. Who might get you downgraded? Your neighbors, your kids teachers & principal at school, your neighborhood supervisor who checks up on complaints about sanitation, noise, property condition, upkeep of the lawn. Perhaps the community service supervisor who you must report to 20 hours per week if you have no job, who does reports on your attendance and work tasks, and how important those tasks are to the community you serve, might have a bearing on what you get from the system.

The bottom people live in barracks with no privacy and drill intructors, they are subject to periodic searches of their personal effects, and eat slop 3 times a day in a common dining area. Next step up, you get a one room apartment in a commie block type of building, with ration of XXX KW hours of electric per month with heat & running water, and shower with limited hot water, community laundry machines in the hallways. Maybe that's all you get when you turn 18 and want to move out on your own. When you turn 21 you get a normal apartment with better furnishing, if you stay out of trouble, but not necessarily in one of the better neighborhoods. As you continue to stay out of trouble and accumulate credits for cleanliness, being quiet and respectful of your neighborhood, you might get a real house or nice condo which does not exceed 1200 sq foot living space, and a small automated car, where before that, you had to ride in a beater from the community lot, now you get one assigned to you for personal use, that you keep in your possession.

Reward and punishment to control behavior, thru every strata of society, including the rich. All done with taxes that never exceed Eisenhower era rates for the most worthless of rich people. Other rich people who contribute to science/technology, healthcare, helping others to advance thru new employment opportunities which the robots can't do yet, will pay less taxes, but never less than 25% if they are millionaires.

You could still give fat people food credits for fruits and vegetables, flour and rice, things like that. You have to short change the smokers too, where they take a hit in living standards to pay for medical treatment, so long as medical treatment remains expensive. You have to punish bad behavior, humans will change if you force it.

All I'm sayin' with all this, if you put 100 million people out of work and don't give them anything, and they have no hope, they will turn to crime, form gangs so big the government can't control it, and the elites may end up losing everything they have in a bloody revolution. Welfare is needed to pacify those people, and the system I have proposed will not only be fair, but kinda fun where everyone gets what they deserve. Hope will be restored to America, and to the world. Have they invented a robot politician and economic manager yet? I think we need several thousand of those right away.

Last edited by mofford; 03-20-2018 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Based on what exactly? I'd love to see an example of this.
Look at Standard Oil in the early twentieth century if you are at all familiar with american labor movements alot of there grievances were the result of a few large firms. If you would like to learn more I recommend the book Managing the Mills: Labor Policy in the American Steel Industry During the Nonunion Era by Jonathan Rees.

That's called crony capitalism and hurts the small business. i thought you were against that?
Ah so any time capitalism is bad it is called crony capitalism. I suppose the USSR is just crony communism!

Show proof of this.

Somalia and Brazil are not free markets. Not even close. For you to use them as examples is absurd. Especially Somolia where they don't have rights and freedoms which is paramount to a free market.
Somalia has no state and no regulations thats about as free market as you can be and economically they are still in poverty looks like the free market doesn't always work properly.
Responses in red.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Says who? Since we have government help no ones poor and starving right?
We still have poor people but thanks to the government very few people starve to death. Churches and other charities also help but without the government food stamp program which over 43 million Americans rely on our country would slide towards third world status.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You are saying that people on welfare are equivalent to zoo animals. I think I understand perfectly.
Humans breathe, animals in zoo's breath.....thereby using your reasoning, I'm calling humans the equivalent of animals and they are one and the same. Sure...ok.

If that's what you get out of this post, I'll refer to you to another part of the same post "For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

Animals and humans share many traits of sentient beings. If you beat your kids daily, they will avoid you when you enter the door....if you beat your dog he will avoid you when you enter the door. Does that mean I'm calling your kids animals ?

Sometimes I just marvel at how obtuse people can be when presented with something logical. It always ok to disagree and have a conservation about your different take on any issue, but when the snarky comments start, you've gored their sacred ox and a reasoned conversation after that is pretty much not going to happen.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Look at Standard Oil in the early twentieth century if you are at all familiar with american labor movements alot of there grievances were the result of a few large firms. If you would like to learn more I recommend the book Managing the Mills: Labor Policy in the American Steel Industry During the Nonunion Era by Jonathan Rees.
You mean the company that drove down prices so gas was affordable? btw The tactics used by Standard Oil weren't free market. lol

Quote:
Ah so any time capitalism is bad it is called crony capitalism. I suppose the USSR is just crony communism!
What a silly response. Look up crony capitalism.

Quote:
Somalia has no state and no regulations thats about as free market as you can be and economically they are still in poverty looks like the free market doesn't always work properly.
Having no state and no regulations has nothing to do with it.
Again Especially Somolia where they don't have rights and freedoms which is paramount to a free market.
Their economy is better than their neighbors Kenya or Ethiopia though. It's not about who has the most guns.

Strange that you didn't mention Hong Kong.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
We still have poor people but thanks to the government very few people starve to death. Churches and other charities also help but without the government food stamp program which over 43 million Americans rely on our country would slide towards third world status.
Quit making things up. You have no proof few people would starve to death without government. We're one of the fattest countries in the world.

Did you ever think why people don't have money? Couldn't be government interferring in the free market could it?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Quit making things up. You have no proof few people would starve to death without government.
Yes I do look at American history before worker rights and government interference in the natural free market. Look at any country with few social programs nasty places to live. I get it though your likely upper middle class suburbanite who cares what happens to poor people they should just get jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies