Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I'm sorry I cut the rest of your post out, it was actually quite good. However, this first sentence is really all I or anyone else needs to know.

I was going to point out in my first reply that it is probably not possible for you to speak about the carnage caused by prohibition and The War on Drugs because of a conflict of interest. I see I was correct.
The carnage in Miami in the 1980s caused by the tsunami of cocaine, not by war on drugs. Practically everyone was snorting cocaine back then. Crack came later. Miami was the murder capital of US at that time, and FBI and DEA were dispatched to counter it, and they did. Some thing HAD TO be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Really? You mean this addled "psycho-toxin saturated brain" is actually capable of having a discussion?

For those that don't know, that is what Finn thinks of my brain due to the fact that I am a cannabis user, quoted from another thread.
Those psycho-toxins are a serious problem, but locking users in prisons is not the solution.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The carnage in Miami in the 1980s caused by the tsunami of cocaine, not by war on drugs. Practically everyone was snorting cocaine back then. Crack came later. Miami was the murder capital of US at that time, and FBI and DEA were dispatched to counter it, and they did. Some thing HAD TO be done.
The point you fail to realize, a point you will never, ever realize, is that the carnage was being caused by prohibition, not the drug itself. The actions of the FBI and DEA resulted in temporary relief. The position we find ourselves in today is proof of that. Prohibition does not work! It is not the right approach in order to secure a long-term fix to the problem.

Here is a good graphic representation of the carnage which is rooted in prohibition:

https://lawenforcementactionpartners...al-Justice.png
Attached Thumbnails
Trump's Plan for battling Opioid Problem - thumbs up-law-enforcement-action-partnership-root-criminal  

Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Some people abuse them, while some others actually live with chronic pain, and the 3-day supply rule will force them to run to the doctors several times a week. It does not make any sense. The co-pays alone will cost them a fortune.
They deliberately make it as punitive as possible. It's about controlling people.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
It probably comes as no surprise that I disagree 100% with cranking up The War on Drugs. It has never worked, it isn't working now, and it will never work.

Most scholars and those with critical thinking skills agree with me. This is the wrong way to fight the problem. Success can be found when studying how other countries have adopted a completely different and logical approach.

But of course, those who agree with ramping-up The War on Drugs will not bother to research this.
Agree 100% with this and other posters in the same vein. Drug addiction is a disease, not a crime. It should be treated as such.

Drug dealing should remain a crime, but we will never stop this problem by stopping the supply. If there is demand, the supply will find a way to get through. We need to address the demand side. That means treatment for addicts, education for patients and doctors to reduce unnecessary prescriptions.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:58 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I need clarification.

There are at least two classes of addiction.

1 - The person truly suffering from chronic pain that uses prescription opioids on a regular basis just so they can function.

2 - The person that just wants to get high, gets addicted and typically is using heroin, fentanyl, carfentanil, animal tranquilizers and any thing they think they can crush up, cook, inject and get high on.

From my experience, it is category 2 that become most of the victims of OD and EMS response by far.
Class 1 turns into class 2 if their prescription expires, or if it just isn't enough anymore.

One thing about the opioid crisis that really strikes me is how it affects the entire spectrum of society. Somehow I doubt that many young people, especially educated, affluent kids, wake up one day and say "I just want to get high, on anything I can crush, cook or inject". Yet many of these folks are getting addicted to heroin and worse. It's not like they are unaware of the danger. There must be some slippery slope that brings them to that point.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The point you fail to realize, a point you will never, ever realize, is that the carnage was being caused by prohibition, not the drug itself. The actions of the FBI and DEA resulted in temporary relief. The position we find ourselves in today is proof of that. Prohibition does not work! It is not the right approach in order to secure a long-term fix to the problem.

Here is a good graphic representation of the carnage which is rooted in prohibition:

https://lawenforcementactionpartners...al-Justice.png
Ah, so if cocaine and crack cocaine had been sold legally at every gas station, then there would not be any issues...... Like the other poster said, crime went up 300% when the addicts committed crime to finance their addiction. I suppose legalizing heroin is also the cure for the opioid OD epidemic.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Ah, so if cocaine and crack cocaine had been sold legally at every gas station, then there would not be any issues...... Like the other poster said, crime went up 300% when the addicts committed crime to finance their addiction. I suppose legalizing heroin is also the cure for the opioid OD epidemic.
Like I said, you will never get it.

Legalizing drugs does not mean that they would be available at every gas station, for crying out loud. For you to take it to that extreme is a common ploy/deflection used by prohibitionists.

Looking at the "legal" cannabis market, for example, do you find it for sale at every gas station in the states that have legalized? Of course not! Legalization means regulation. Regulation means overdoses drops to near zero because those who have reached the point of desperation, so desperate they are willing to commit a crime, will have somewhere they can go without having to commit crimes or use impure street drugs that can kill them. This has been proven to work in other countries. In addition, a system like this pulls the rug out from under the drug cartels.

It is called "Harm Reduction", and is desperately needed while we work through this. It works, it works well, and does not clog up the legal system in the process.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you will never get it.

Legalizing drugs does not mean that they would be available at every gas station, for crying out loud. For you to take it to that extreme is a common ploy/deflection used by prohibitionists.
Ok, so not sold at gas stations then. Where do the crack addicts get their drugs, and the money for them?

Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Ok, so not sold at gas stations then. Where do the crack addicts get their drugs, and the money for them?
This will go WAY over your head, but the drugs come from the government, and are free.

DO NOT confuse that with a free-for-all. If someone has reached this point in their life, the free, pure, safe drugs do come with a cost: You have to choose which of the several available and required treatment/rehabilitation programs to enter.

1) OD deaths, which seems to be what people are complaining about the loudest, would drop to near zero.

2) Crime perpetrated by addicts would fall dramatically.

3) The teeth would be taken out of the black market and cartels.

4) Courts, court dockets, and jail cells would be freed up for real criminals.

5) Non-violent drug addicts would finally have access to treatment programs that at least stand a chance at working, because those addicts would no longer be felons, free from the self-denigration and career problems that comes with being branded a criminal.

The pros of Harm Reduction and legalization outnumbers the cons at least 10 to 1. Shall I continue?

Last edited by Raddo; 03-20-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies