Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:13 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Marseille resides in a country with strict gun control, Detroit doesn't."

The last I checked, Detroit is in Michigan

Looks like pretty "strict" gun laws to me.

"A quick review of Michigan gun laws shows that law abiding citizens wishing to own a gun for self-protection are strongly regulated and actively discouraged. First, they have to take and pass the Michigan Basic Pistol Safety questionnaire. Then they have to apply for the Ten Day Handgun Purchase Permit to buy the gun and make sure they find and buy the gun of their choice within 10 days, otherwise they have start the process all over again. When they make their purchase, they have to fill out a Michigan Pistol Sales Record form and make sure the pistol has a valid firearm Safety Inspection Certificate. Once the citizen has purchased their firearm, they have 10 days to take the gun to the local police department, have the sale recorded, and a new Safety Inspection Certificate issued in their name. Otherwise, they are considered in violation of the law and could be arrested on a misdemeanor gun violation.
Federal laws also require a background check if you purchase a gun from a licensed dealer with a Federal Firearms License.
Note that each and every legal gun buyer in Michigan, and particularly Detroit, must be approved by the local police at least twice each and every time they purchase a gun and undergo a background check by the federal government. "

https://mic.com/articles/22835/gun-c...rol#.3u7vbI6tO

I live here and don't find the laws very strict. Things have changed to , from what you've written. If one does not have a CPL, they still have to get a purchase permit which generally takes a few days to get approved. Then once you are approved you make your purchase and you will have a RI-60 document. Which is three duplicate documents. One goes to the FFL, one to you, and one to the MSP, which is at the local PD in a drop box. Long gone are the days of having to take your firearm to the PD for inspection.
It's been so long though since I've had my CPL that I haven't went thru all that. I just download the RI-60 , fill out , and make my purchase, either thru an FFL or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:09 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
"I also dont think its appropriate for private citizens to walk around armed."

Depends on where you live and go.

No difference then having life, car, homeowner's and health insurance.

You must live on base because San Diego has a pretty HIGH crime rate.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

an Diego Crime Data

Crime Index

(100 is safest)
Safer than 25% of U.S. Cities

San Diego Annual Crimes

Violent Property Total Number of Crimes
Crime Rate
(per 1,000 residents)
I dont know how that site gets its figures but a recent FBI report states we are the safest big city in the US by murders
https://www.10news.com/news/crime-ra...ty-for-murders
And 4th in violent crimes overall

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-4

Here is a CD thread on it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...-u-s-city.html

I can tell you san diego is ridiculously safe for a number of reasons. Its a new city without urban decay. The highest presence of active and ex military in the country.
Yet some of the strictest CCW permitting anywhere. Get this:

Concealed weapon permits are most concentrated in north and east San Diego County - The San Diego Union-Tribune
1200 permits issued in a County with a population of 3 million.
I can walk any street any time alone with little fear. Unarmed.
Because its extremely unlikely anyone outside their own home is either.
Yet funny enough because our military presence is high I expect most homes have guns. Because tbe military is full of people from small towns who keep guns. I saw that in the navy, when we deployed to nellis or fallon lots of guys brought guns to shoot in the desert.
So again I am not rabidly anti gun. If people want them for defending their family at home then do so with a weapon suited for that. Not an AR-15. If they want to hunt they can do that again no AR-15 needed.
In urban areas where people are densely packed and have issues with each other virtually nobody should be walking around armed.
I know one guy who has a CCW. He is a clerk/manager at a liquor store that gets robbed a couple times a year.
IMO the reason assault STYLE weapons need to be looked at and possibly banned is not just the capabilities of the weapon but the mindset of the type of person who wants one. That class of gun is designed to shoot a number of combatants efficiently and quickly, and if thats going on in the head of anyone outside of military combat forces that suggests a problem individual. In short Rambo fantasies played out when the "SHTF"

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Typos. Lots.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
"Marseille resides in a country with strict gun control, Detroit doesn't."

The last I checked, Detroit is in Michigan

Looks like pretty "strict" gun laws to me.

"A quick review of Michigan gun laws shows that law abiding citizens wishing to own a gun for self-protection are strongly regulated and actively discouraged. First, they have to take and pass the Michigan Basic Pistol Safety questionnaire. Then they have to apply for the Ten Day Handgun Purchase Permit to buy the gun and make sure they find and buy the gun of their choice within 10 days, otherwise they have start the process all over again. When they make their purchase, they have to fill out a Michigan Pistol Sales Record form and make sure the pistol has a valid firearm Safety Inspection Certificate. Once the citizen has purchased their firearm, they have 10 days to take the gun to the local police department, have the sale recorded, and a new Safety Inspection Certificate issued in their name. Otherwise, they are considered in violation of the law and could be arrested on a misdemeanor gun violation.
Federal laws also require a background check if you purchase a gun from a licensed dealer with a Federal Firearms License.
Note that each and every legal gun buyer in Michigan, and particularly Detroit, must be approved by the local police at least twice each and every time they purchase a gun and undergo a background check by the federal government. "

https://mic.com/articles/22835/gun-c...rol#.3u7vbI6tO
LOL. Not so. As of last year michigan had some of the highest rates of CPL in the country. 617,000 permits statewide.
Dont know if it was fully enacted but:
Michigan House passes bills allowing concealed pistol carry without a license | MLive.com
Wont even need a permit!
Guns guns guns let the lead fly!
If I lived there I guess I would have to carry a gun to feel safe.
I just wouldnt have the audacity or dishonesty to argue we really all were safer or less shootings would happen. Unless I worked on my quick draw that is.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,204 times
Law abiding citizens stand up against liberals trying to strip you of your rights.
This law abiding citizen did just that.

https://youtu.be/bBEUlJZg5CY?t=9

Old 04-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Oh and on that quick draw thing... this guy is gonna be safe! 6 shots, reload, 6 more shots...all on target in less than 3 seconds.

https://youtu.be/lLk1v5bSFPw

Worlds fastest shooter. Hes got videos including one firing 5 rounds from the Barrett .50 cal in less than 1 second.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Law abiding citizens stand up against liberals trying to strip you of your rights.
This law abiding citizen did just that.

https://youtu.be/bBEUlJZg5CY?t=9
Nearly 100 comments not one critical. Until now. Lets see if they delete it.
I still dont see how the second amendment includes assault style weapons. They as good as banned full auto guns in the 30s. Why werent they protected?
They could pass a law allowing only 22lr single shot rifles and you would have the right to bear arms.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Nearly 100 comments not one critical. Until now. Lets see if they delete it.
I still dont see how the second amendment includes assault style weapons. They as good as banned full auto guns in the 30s. Why werent they protected?
They could pass a law allowing only 22lr single shot rifles and you would have the right to bear arms.
e
"I still dont see how the second amendment includes assault style weapons."

the 2nd amendment does NOT single out ANY weapon of any type, therefore it applies to ALL weapons.

"The RIGHT to keep and bear ARMS ( any arm you choose) SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

I can't for the life of me figure out why so many anti-gunners do NOT comprehend 4 simple words, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

"
They as good as banned full auto guns in the 30s"

WRONG.

There were and STILL NOT BANNED in any way shape or form.

It just costs more to get one.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:14 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The source you linked to is a dubious at best. I would advise you to pull your stats from actual legitimate sources and not an openly racist publication.
Of course you don't like the source because it doesn't agree with you.

If you DON'T like their numbers prove where they are wrong.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
IMO the reason assault STYLE weapons need to be looked at and possibly banned is not just the capabilities of the weapon but the mindset of the type of person who wants one. That class of gun is designed to shoot a number of combatants efficiently and quickly, and if thats going on in the head of anyone outside of military combat forces that suggests a problem individual. In short Rambo fantasies played out when the "SHTF"
Sounds to me like you have quite the over active imagination. Real "assault" rifles are highly regulated and have never been used in a crime. If you are talking about semi auto mag fed rifles, they are all the same. Just different names. Not sure where you are coming up with this Rambo thing. The AR platform has been available to the public since the mid 60's, even thru the AWB ban of '94, only now it's a problem ? I call Bull**** on that.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
LOL. Not so. As of last year michigan had some of the highest rates of CPL in the country. 617,000 permits statewide.
Dont know if it was fully enacted but:
Michigan House passes bills allowing concealed pistol carry without a license | MLive.com
Wont even need a permit!
Guns guns guns let the lead fly!
If I lived there I guess I would have to carry a gun to feel safe.
I just wouldnt have the audacity or dishonesty to argue we really all were safer or less shootings would happen. Unless I worked on my quick draw that is.
That bill has not completely passed yet. I'm a CPL holder here, have been for 11 years and don't want it to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies