Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I can drive across this country and many parts already look like the third world.
The only reason we do not have favelas littered across the country is because the state would bull doze them the moment they appear.

The homeless and poor are screwed.
Homeowners want first world prices and business wants third world wages.
Something that isn't mentioned much is that a lot of our economy is limping along based on wealth generated by past generations. Now that I am older I heard of a LOT of friends and relative inheriting money. Nothing really big (well, some is in the millions, but most smaller), but in any case money from parents and grandma and childless siblings is helping people survive.

ALL of that is likely going away as current generations don't have those nice pensions and stock gains and other wealth. They live paycheck to paycheck.

What I am saying is that things may be worse than they seem....being propped up by inheritances and national debt and deficit.

People said they liked Trump because he say what he thinks. But what he thinks is neither correct, honest nor actionable. I guess these same people would elect me POTUS if I stood by the sidewalk and graded every young woman from 1 to 10 - after all, I'd be "saying just what I think"....Trumpies love honesty, even when it's uncivilized and wrongheaded.

Trump could tell them they were fools and they would love him for being truthful.

Last edited by craigiri; 03-23-2018 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The stock market is supposed to be used to fuel main street via investments locally.
That was the historical claim for many years on what use it is to America.
In the last 30 years, that has been turned on its head where it is the job of main street is to fuel wall street and make others richer....boggle.
What? For hundreds of years, Wall Street and London have been about exploiting the resources and the labors of people all over the world...and our country. They purchased every tree and most of the mineral rights from poor illiterate people and poisoned their land, air and water.

That is capitalism. The stock market was never about Main Street. It was always about monopolies, consolidation, etc. - and definitely about exploitation of resources and the common people.

Only the Union Movement slightly slowed it down...but that's over here (not in Europe, tho).

Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
The only ones butt hurt about the tariffs are people that have stocks in global companies.
They can rot for all I care. It is pretty obvious where their loyalties lie and it is not this country.

When Globalism was in full swing, these same people said that to millions of American workers that it is just to bad, you need to adapt.

It takes years to adapt but many were left behind.
It will also take years to adapt going the other way and again, many globalists will be left behind.
It would seem to me that domestic companies who also export their products could be more affected by a tariff war than global companies who can just shift their export production from the U.S. to their subsidiaries in other countries to avoid retaliatory tariffs.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It would seem to me that domestic companies who also export their products could be more affected by a tariff war than global companies who can just shift their export production from the U.S. to their subsidiaries in other countries to avoid retaliatory tariffs.
That's exactly what happens.

Chinese companies who have a plant in Canada just slap a "Canada" sticker on the product and avoid the tariff.

Small American companies who export to China (and there are many) don't have that luxury.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Tariffs only provide a temporary advantage, and that at most. Other nations can put tariffs on our prime exports just as easily as we can on steel, aluminum, and such. It also hurts the interests of this country, causing foreign companies to see us as an unreliable or unreasonable customer. It also raises the price domestic producers have to pay for their inputs, causing both layoffs and higher prices for consumers.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:04 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Using tariffs to get back at China is about as effective as trying to use a hammer as a flyswatter. You’ll end up trashing your house while the fly is only irritated.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Using tariffs to get back at China is about as effective as trying to use a hammer as a flyswatter. You’ll end up trashing your house while the fly is only irritated.
Good analogy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Unions reward laziness and don't reward extra effort.
^Fake news

Old 03-24-2018, 11:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
What mechanism exist currently that would prevent American wages from dropping to wages in India while having to pay first world housing prices in America?
I mainly disagree with you, except on this post. I've said that modern America is the land of third world wages with first world prices. Awesome if you are a business owner, $#!++? if you are an employee

Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Unions reward laziness and don't reward extra effort.
So those German cars and machines are of poor quality? The Danish goods (they build giant ships, tankers, etc.) are poorly made?

I think you are taking some anecdotes (there are/were corrupt unions and union leaders just like we have corrupt Generals and POTUS, etc.)....and making them the rule.

Germany, with vastly less people, is very close to the USA in exports. In fact, it exports MORE machinery and the like (we export a lot of AG, Coal, Scrap, etc in addition to some good stuff also).....

So how is Germany noted for "the best" if extra effort is not rewarded? Explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies