Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

If Manafort expects a pardon it is because Trump told him that he would pardon him if he stayed quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 AM

13,688 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If Manafort expects a pardon it is because Trump told him that he would pardon him if he stayed quiet.
Yet, read my reply, above. It does not work that way.

Of course, what Mr. Trump thinks would happen if he pardoned Manafort, is a horse of a different color.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 AM

37,200 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Trump's pardon isn't worth that much to Manafort. Before the ink is dry the state charges will start coming.

If Manafort talks, and he is the one who can incriminate Donnie, he will go to jail for a few months and walk out looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life to see if there's a Russian there with nerve gas or polonium tea for him. If he doesn't talk, he will go to jail for the rest of his life. If the case is dismissed he is free of both scenarios.

Gutsy choice to try to get the courts to side with him that Mueller didn't have authority to investigate him, but absoultely idiotic. Manafort is toast no matter how this plays out.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I'm quite sure certain state AG's are licking their chops for the moment a pardon on federal convictions occurs, lol.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yet, read my reply, above. It does not work that way.

Of course, what Mr. Trump thinks would happen if he pardoned Manafort, is a horse of a different color.
I saw your post. You presume he would pardon him now, I guess, and that Manafort gets a sweet deal for singing. Manafort probably is looking at several years even in a plea deal with all the crimes he has committed. I see it coming later when Trump is ready to leave office. That might not be all that far down the road. So Manafort spends anywhere from a few months to a couple years in a federal white collar camp and then gets out. That's probably better than a plea deal and he doesn't have to worry about Putin or Trump taking him out either which would certainly be a possibility if he snitches. Silence is golden - and rewarded - among these mobsters like Trump.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Trump is highly unlikely to pardon Manafort.

Don't confuse the Manafort charges with the Russian investigation, they are two separate issues.

Manafort's charges have nothing to do with Russians.

BTW, when is Mueller going to charge Tony Podesta?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Any charges aside, Trump generally rewards loyalty to him, so this probably isn’t that steep of a bet for Manafort.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
He's not going to cooperate with Mueller, hoping for a pardon from Trump instead...

Manafort bets on presidential pardon in special counsel case - cbsnews.com
Yep...

He's counting on tRump.

May not be a solid strategy.

If tRump pardons him of conspiracy against the USA, even some Trumplings will begin to see what's been happening.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM

13,688 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw your post. You presume he would pardon him now, I guess, and that Manafort gets a sweet deal for singing. Manafort probably is looking at several years even in a plea deal with all the crimes he has committed. I see it coming later when Trump is ready to leave office. That might not be all that far down the road. So Manafort spends anywhere from a few months to a couple years in a federal white collar camp and then gets out. That's probably better than a plea deal and he doesn't have to worry about Putin or Trump taking him out either which would certainly be a possibility if he snitches. Silence is golden - and rewarded - among these mobsters like Trump.

I think you are correct that I was presuming that the pardon would be before Mr. Manafort goes to trial (two trials, actually, in two different courts).

It is an interesting scenario you give: Mr. Manafort fights the tax invasion and money laundering charges in court (which have nothing to do with the Russian investigation, hence his motion to have all charges dismissed). If convicted, he goes to prison. Mr. Trump, upon leaving office, pardons Mr. Manafort and commutes his sentence, but only if Mr. Manafort keeps his mouth shut concerning Mr. Trump and his activities (if any).

I must think on this. For instance, Mr. Manafort does not desire (presumably) to testify against Mr. Trump.

If called before a grand jury (or Congress), Mr. Manafort may, of course, plea the Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination.

Of course, a person may not plea the Fifth to not incriminate other people. That was an issue addressed several times during Watergate. You had several of Nixon's people pleading the Fifth, but only as to themselves.

Mr. Manafort could, perhaps, take the position that by implicating Mr. Trump he also implicates himself (also per Watergate). That becomes a thorny issue in conspiracy cases. If the person testifies that others conspired with him in some matter, he is, in theory implicating himself.

Or, Mr. Manafort may chose to not testify at all, be found in contempt of court (or Congress), and go to jail until such time as he desire to 'purge himself of contempt', hoping, in the meantime, that Mr. Trump will issue a Presidential Pardon. His time in jail (for contempt) may not be that long.

Hmm. Of course, Mr. Manafort, if his motions to dismiss are denied (which I expect), and as his two trial dates (July 10th, September 17) approach, he may decide to seek his own deal with Mueller to get out of trouble.

It is not cut and dried by any means, what the future holds. As you say, Mr. Trump, even if resigning his office for whatever reason, could begin to issue pardons left and right, and then get Mr. Pence to agree to pardon him.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:26 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I have said before in other threads, what benefit would flow to Mr. Trump by such a pardon?

Trump doesn't think that far ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies