Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 06:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,041,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, here is the truth. There have been several people in the Trump supporter camp making racially motivated remarks and Trump has made a few of those remarks himself. You say the that the goalpost is set by the Left. What you are saying is that decency, watching what you say, those are only values shared by the left. Sounds like you are the one who needs to grow up. What it sounds like to me is that you would like to be able to just say whatever is on your mind and other people just have to live with it. Hmm.....

And there are plenty of people on the right wing who vote on racial lines. Do not lie and pretend it isn't the case.
Yeah, it's amazing how basic decency is now a "liberal thing," so so claims the far-right. It's also absurd for them to pretend that righties don't vote along racial lines. Every time Trump spewed right-wing bigotry, he gained in the polls, and once in office he continues with the idiocy, such as making excuses for white supremacists during last year's deadly riots, and so on.

As for Roseanne, she's a tasteless pig with a long history of this crud: crotch-grabbing after the anthem (funny how righties supporter her now while being offended by kneeling during the anthem), dressing up proudly as a Nazi, and so forth. This latest spewing of ignorance on her part is par for the course, and I'm glad she suffered consequences for it.

I'll never understand what people saw in her or that show anyway after watching it now and then. She always came off as a nasty, hateful shrew with a sadistic streak, and the rest of the family summed up to a bunch of miserable people who were the cause of most of their own problems. It was like the Simpsons, but without humor.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:21 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
How stupid can you get?
I mean, this Namesake/Jewel of the family, and a person with an ostensible semblance of common sense and PR, takes a Voluntary Racist Ride.

I am for great latitude on Free Speech. I really am.
But this is Lunacy.
Wild allegations with NO basis.

Donald Trump Jr. retweeted some of the offensive tweets posted by Roseanne Barr before her show was canceled Tuesday — calling billionaire George Soros a Nazi “who turned in his fellow Jews.”

After falsely claiming that Chelsea Clinton is married to Soros’ nephew, Barr responded with an “apology” that included a bizarre conspiracy-mongering rant about the Democratic donor — which the president’s son then relayed to his 2.84 million followers.

“Sorry to have tweeted incorrect info about you!I Please forgive me! By the way, George Soros is a nazi who turned in his fellow Jews 2 be murdered in German concentration camps & stole their wealth-were you aware of that? But, we all make mistakes, right Chelsea?” Barr wrote in the tweet.

The disgraced comedian then followed up with a second tweet, which was also retweeted by Trump Jr., saying: “Soros’ goal; the overthrow of us constitutional republic by buying/backing candidates 4 local district attorney races who will ignore US law & favor ‘feelings’ instead-and call everyone who is alarmed by that ‘racist’.”

Soros, a Jew, was 13 when the Nazis occupied his homeland Hungary...
Whoever told you that any of Trump's kids had brains or class? Plastic surgery and expensive clothes do not a upstanding and intelligent person make. Trump's kids are nothing more than entitled grifters just like their dear old dad.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 05-29-2018 at 06:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2018, 06:22 PM

73,085 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Don't you realize. It's never the time or the place.

Not sure when the time and the place is, but it's never now, never here.

Every time the discussion gets real, someone always wants to shut it down.

Donald Trump's fans support Roseanne and that's the truth.

But high ratings or not, ABC shut down her show.

And that's the truth.
Well, my point was that race is such a hot button topic that it brings out the worst in everyone.

I've never been much of a Roseanne fan, never really cared. My sitcoms from the 90s included Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, mainly the family friendly stuff. As for why Roseanne's reboot is a hit among Trump supporters, I can only say it is because she supports Trump.

Something more ironic. I haven't heard much of anything regarding Fuller House. Candace Cameron-Bure is the start on that show, reprising her role as D.J. She is a conservative. However, she doesn't have the following among Trump supporters than Roseanne does. I could be wrong, but that is what I see.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,066,593 times
Quote:
Actually, here is the truth. There have been several people in the Trump supporter camp making racially motivated remarks and Trump has made a few of those remarks himself. You say the that the goalpost is set by the Left. What you are saying is that decency, watching what you say, those are only values shared by the left. Sounds like you are the one who needs to grow up. What it sounds like to me is that you would like to be able to just say whatever is on your mind and other people just have to live with it. Hmm.....

And there are plenty of people on the right wing who vote on racial lines. Do not lie and pretend it isn't the case.
Both left and right vote along racial lines. Are you blind?

Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Both left and right vote along racial lines. Are you blind?
I never said that wasn't the case.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:30 PM

57,380 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am not going to comment on the content/return of the Roseanne show, episode 1, because I haven't seen it yet. If you have, and want to talk about the episode's content, please use the Hide/Show. I'll watch it tonight On Demand. But, the premiere, 21 years after the original show ended, had YUGE ratings last night.

"The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49. According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014). In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels."

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings | EW.com

The Conners are a working class family of deplorable Trump supporters. That makes them (the fictional Conner family) unique on TV these days. (Roseanne, the actress and a producer, is also a Trump supporter.)

Are you surprised?

What's your take on this? Feel free to comment on any aspect of why you think the show had jaw dropping ratings success? Do you think it is only curiosity about the first episode of a returning show or is the show filling a void for a large group of people (Trump supporters - blue collar midwest family) who are underrepresented on TV? I don't recall what kind of ratings Will and Grace got when they returned to TV. Are we going to see more TV shows like this or don't they (Hollywood) have writers who can write it?

You also might want to read about what the liberal producers who are not Roseanne had to say?

Why Roseanne is not a liberal mouthpiece and Mark's tricky story line | EW.com

I'm putting it here instead of the television sub-forum because I only want to talk about the political connection to Trump supporters not the acting or the episode 1 story.

Pro-Trump 'Roseanne' Reboot Thanks God for Making America Great Again
Do you feel the cancellation was fair.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
I don't think she has anything up her sleeve. I can't think of any other reason why she (or anyone else) would call someone else an "ape", especially calling a Black person an ape. I've been called "porch monkey", "monkey",etc. Racist individuals doing this to me. I can't think of any other case.
I understand your position. It's not a position I'm going to question.

She is either brilliant or stupid.

The old SNL skit with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor was highly offensive. The point was made. It's been over 40 years and unfortunately the point still hasn't sunk in for many.

I am not going to suggest you give her a pass. Sometimes comediennes are offensive to make a point. If it goes no further than she is simply plain ignorant.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yeah, it's amazing how basic decency is now a "liberal thing," so so claims the far-right. It's also absurd for them to pretend that righties don't vote along racial lines. Every time Trump spewed right-wing bigotry, he gained in the polls, and once in office he continues with the idiocy, such as making excuses for white supremacists during last year's deadly riots, and so on.

As for Roseanne, she's a tasteless pig with a long history of this crud: crotch-grabbing after the anthem (funny how righties supporter her now while being offended by kneeling during the anthem), dressing up proudly as a Nazi, and so forth. This latest spewing of ignorance on her part is par for the course, and I'm glad she suffered consequences for it.

I'll never understand what people saw in her or that show anyway after watching it now and then. She always came off as a nasty, hateful shrew with a sadistic streak, and the rest of the family summed up to a bunch of miserable people who were the cause of most of their own problems. It was like the Simpsons, but without humor.
I'm seeing a trend of some people being contrarian and crass for the sake of it. Some of those persons like to think of themselves as going against PC. I see things like this. You can be honest without being a jerk. You can be nice without being a liar. You can have fun without trying to be a crass nuthouse. Some people do things (and this goes for both conservatives and liberals) just for the shock value. Some people had the monster and ugliness in them all along and were looking for a time to let it all out.

I've seen racially motivated politics on both sides of the political spectrum. To say that only the left does this is stupid and dishonest. I look at the South. The most African-Americans of any region in the USA. And then I look at the voting patterns. Voting is very politically divided, alot of it on racial lines. In Georgia, where I live, the majority-Black counties voted Democrat and the most of the majority-White counties voted Republican. Quite a sharp divide down here. Now, if you go to the large cities, it's a different situation. But, my whole point is that this happens on both sides of the political spectrum. I see it here in the South.

I've never really like Roseanne much. I've found her to be crass and just nuts. I never knew about the crotch grabbing. I heard about what she did at that Padres game, the Barr-Mangled Banner as it would later been known. I didn't know about the crotch part, or I don't remember that part much. As for that Nazi bit, I went to look it up. I had no idea. And she's Jewish. Talk about irony. That would be like me dressing up like a Klansman. Actually, Dave Chappelle did that as part of a comedy skit. What Roseanne did was a photo for the Jewish website called Heeb. It is satire. I'm just like
Personally, I will never dress like Hitler. I hate Hitler.

I think about this. Bob Saget is known for his inappropriate sense of humor, known as blue comedy. However, I've never heard of him pulling the stuff Roseanne has pulled. He isn't known for being nasty and sadistic. Maybe this is what made Full House such a cool show to watch back in the day.

Funny you mention the Simpsons. That show really does remind me of Roseanne, albeit, a few differences. When I was younger, I assumed the show was about being a working class family. But certain parts of that show just didn't seem right. I never related to the show very well.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I understand your position. It's not a position I'm going to question.

She is either brilliant or stupid.

The old SNL skit with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor was highly offensive. The point was made. It's been over 40 years and unfortunately the point still hasn't sunk in for many.

I am not going to suggest you give her a pass. Sometimes comediennes are offensive to make a point. If it goes no further than she is simply plain ignorant.
I think she was being stupid. In the case of alot of comedy sketches, we get the point. We know there is a comedic lesson to be learned. In the case of a tweet, I would see stupidity. In this instance however, I don't see the point of putting something like that on twitter.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Disney's decision to cancel this show over Barr's expressed opinions is not only an affront to the American tradition of free speech, but a slap in the wallet to share holders. The show was projected to earn the company 60 million dollars next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies