Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 1,373,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then put the focus back on Roseanne. She made a blatantly racist comment. That's all. A lot of people are going to lose their job because of the unforgiving PC left.

Stop trying to make it into something bigger.
This leftie hopes with every last fiber of his being that I NEVER reach the point where I am forgiving people for calling African-Americans apes. Unless that person presents very clear evidence that they have utterly changed and moved away from that view and has made a fervent effort to correct any damage and hurt feelings he or she has caused.
If I get to that point I have serious character issues.
This seems to confirm my view that those who complain about PC are largely just those who feel imposed upon that they can't engage in the sort of egregious behavior toward members of certain other groups that used to be widely practiced and accepted and tolerated in this country.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ha. Just watched the entire Hannity show. They didn't even cover this story. Now watching Laura Ingraham who appears to think that the news story of separating parents from their children at the borders is something to laugh and be smug about.
Fox news...what bunch of losers.
Are your eyes bleeding?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Ha. Just watched the entire Hannity show. They didn't even cover this story.
Now watching Laura Ingraham who appears to think that the news story of separating parents from their children at the borders is something to laugh and be smug about.
Fox news...what bunch of losers.

Drudge report has it front and center as the top story of the day.

Fox news has it as the #2 story:

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after Barr's racist tweet | Fox News

You realize that the hosts of the evening shows can decide the topics. They often decide the topics and guests in advance. The need to interrupt that to talk about a TV show getting canceled? That is more important to you than the situation on the border?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 PM

2,654 posts, read 1,373,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Some of my most rabid liberals were fans of the show and they support the cancelling.
Some of my most rabid conservatives were fans of the show and they support the cancelling.

In my circle -- this is the first thing everyone has agreed on in over a year and half.

Her comments were abhorrent -- end all be all.

You can be a Trump supporter, conservative, Republican, liberal, Democrat and agree on that -- it seems to be what my large bubble is agreeing on. First thing in too long.

oh wait -- Kathy Griffin - -yeah they all agreed on that too.
Absolutely!

Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
So sick of all the snowflakes calling everything "racist".

There isn't anything "Racist" about her comments.

Read the damn definition of the word people!

It was a joke anyway. A dig at her (undesirable) foreign parentage and "pedigree" being the worst of the absolute worst cultures that you could possibly mix.
Her comment was racist, pure and simple. And her "so called" joke has put a lot of people out of jobs now. ABC is part of Disney which is family oriented. Her comments are a bad reflection on them and they want no part of it. Imagine that....a network cancelling a high ratings show, which makes them a ton of money, because it goes against their values. Too bad we can't cancel Trump as easily

Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,152 times
Liberals have caught just as much heat for taking digs at Trump so I don't see why it's all of a sudden an issue.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Just....wow. Why is her "foreign parentage" undesirable? We are a nation of immigrants. What is wrong with her cultural background? Just so you know...her parents educational and career attainment probably put yours and those of 99 per cent of us native born Americans to shame.
Valerie Jarrett's parents are native born Americans. Her great-grandfathers was the first accredited African-American architects, and was also born in America to American born parents.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:41 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Liberals have caught just as much heat for taking digs at Trump so I don't see why it's all of a sudden an issue.
Huh?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Her comment was racist, pure and simple. And her "so called" joke has put a lot of people out of jobs now. ABC is part of Disney which is family oriented. Her comments are a bad reflection on them and they want no part of it. Imagine that....a network cancelling a high ratings show, which makes them a ton of money, because it goes against their values. Too bad we can't cancel Trump as easily

Disney is not just "family oriented", but one of the most progressive/liberal/pro-equality American companies in Fortune 500.

If you look at both television and film media (among other things) you find no shortage of pro-equality and "inclusion"; this includes everything from LGBT to minority/ethnic groups. Modern Family is but one example.

Thus it should come as no surprise to anyone that Disney came out hard and fast on Roseanne Barr. Money or no from a hit sitcom, the suits at Disney corporate weren't going to stand for that sort of nonsense. Maybe ten or twenty years ago an apology along with some public flogging might have sufficed, but the world has changed.

IMHO there likely are more than a few at Disney, ABC or whatever that are quite glad to see the remake of Roseanne go down in flames. Caught off guard with the instant success of the thing, and near instant renewal for another season many likely figured that ship had sailed.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Drudge report has it front and center as the top story of the day.

Fox news has it as the #2 story:

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after Barr's racist tweet | Fox News

You realize that the hosts of the evening shows can decide the topics. They often decide the topics and guests in advance. The need to interrupt that to talk about a TV show getting canceled? That is more important to you than the situation on the border?

I think it's worth mentioning. Hannity said he would come to the story then never did.

He covered a couple of inane minutes of Trumps needy 'rally' instead.

Clearly that was more important.

I don't think the situation on the border - children being separated from their parents is anything to be smug about, as Laura Ingraham appears to think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies