Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - if you really knew what caused the markets to go up and down, you wouldn't be wasting your time on C-D. Instead you would be living the good life on your private island in the Caribbean.
While its rare that you can point at a presidents action and say "there that caused the market to drop", in this case its extremely clear.

And you are confusing being able to predict, with being able to assign cause. Its very misleading.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Let us know when the panic sets in.
Then we will see a real freefall not just down days and volatility.
Here is the thing....I don't think we will see panic until the day these things go into effect. BUT....we will see a lot of concern that grows. This drop is the market hating uncertainty. But I think that if we see a trade war really go into effect is when the market will go nuts. So I could see some up and down days ahead, but once we get near the time where these go into effect, if no progress is there...I think we will se extremely large drops.

Its a giant game of chicken.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
While its rare that you can point at a presidents action and say "there that caused the market to drop", in this case its extremely clear.

And you are confusing being able to predict, with being able to assign cause. Its very misleading.
What is misleading is blaming Trump. It could also be the rather tepid employment report or the comments from Powell that what we need is higher interest rates sooner. The latter is more scary to markets than Trump's musings about a trade war.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - if you really knew what caused the markets to go up and down, you wouldn't be wasting your time on C-D. Instead you would be living the good life on your private island in the Caribbean.
Eh, some people enjoy arguing on C-D while living a life of relative luxury. It's an addictive diversion.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What is misleading is blaming Trump. It could also be the rather tepid employment report or the comments from Powell that what we need is higher interest rates sooner. The latter is more scary to markets than Trump's musings about a trade war.
Bwahahahha

Yeah. no.

Come on, use some common sense. The tepid employment report came out when? 10 hrs ago. The market started dropping in the dow futures about 20 hrs ago.

Powell was even later. And is simply restating what everyone already knows. Sure he might think we should go faster, but thats not yet, and he is only one of many.

Im sorry, but this is like a bulldozer going through your living room, and you saying "I wonder if my wall fell down because of that squirrel I saw earlier"

Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Be honest--
Those factors could have caused some drop in the market if Trump had shut up after the first hint of tariffs
but Kudlow has gone out to the WH lawn twice in past couple of days--
He was there first thing this AM and told the reporters that HE/Kudlow (Senior WH Economic Advisor) didn't know about Trump's statement upping the tariffs' toll until he saw it on the news...
THAT despite all his efforts to calm the waters and try to put the genie back in the bottle is the biggest reason the Dow was down so much today--at times almost 800 points...think it ended around 570...
And this is just the first week of April...
Maybe people don't know that Kudlow is NOT in favor of tariffs---yet he is the one having to defend what POTUS is doing -- and how is he defending it--by saying this is just a possibility
Mnunchin (mr numb nuts) is so glib about it you know he was shorting...made enough to take Louise on nice vacation on an Air Force plane...

The drops are bigger and the gains are smaller...
Classic for easing into a bear market...
Some talking heads are still holding out the Dow could recover and go as high as 28000 in 2018 but that won't happen when The Donald keeps inserting his .02 into the airwaves with whatever comes to mind...

Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
It all contributes. We will have a nasty recession starting in late 2018 or 2019 and it will be largely the result of Trump's trade war + higher interest rates. Going into 2020, Trump isn't going to be able to tout the economy as an achievement. What will he have then?

Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It all contributes. We will have a nasty recession starting in late 2018 or 2019 and it will be largely the result of Trump's trade war + higher interest rates. Going into 2020, Trump isn't going to be able to tout the economy as an achievement. What will he have then?
Brad P, Robert Mercer, and Putin...

Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
S&P is not less than 10% up from 14 months ago.
Wow, the great Trump Rally. I remember years when 40% in certain mutual funds was considered a great rally.

Now, a normal or less than normal return is being cheered by the Right. Most of them cheering must not be investors or have large IRA's.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:25 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Bwahahahha

Yeah. no.

Come on, use some common sense. The tepid employment report came out when? 10 hrs ago. The market started dropping in the dow futures about 20 hrs ago.

Powell was even later. And is simply restating what everyone already knows. Sure he might think we should go faster, but thats not yet, and he is only one of many.

Im sorry, but this is like a bulldozer going through your living room, and you saying "I wonder if my wall fell down because of that squirrel I saw earlier"
The followers will make any excuse no matter how much it strains credulity. You can be sure that if it were Trump on that bulldozer, they'd be blaming the squirrel.

I honestly don't even see how it's much of an excuse though. At this stage, isn't Trump responsible for the tepid employment numbers? He sure likes taking credit when things are good.

If it's because of Powell and the prospect of interest rates following a marginally steeper trajectory than some people thought, isn't that also Trump's fault? He is, after all, the one who put Powell in that position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies