Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:03 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Only the receiver, not any other part. I can still have a working gun in an hour using only a drill as the finishing tool with an 80%.

I can also 3D print one now.

No back ground check for any of it.
Anyone with a CNC mill has been able to make them for decades, and they will be fully functional, strong and accurately made, unlike a 3D printed one. Or really all that is needed is a mill/drill machine that you can pick up at Harbor Freight for <$1000 to make a complete AR receiver from a block of aluminum. The point is the technology has been around for well over 120 years to make a fully automatic firearm-in fact it's easier to make an automatic than a semi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 02:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Anyone with a CNC mill has been able to make them for decades, and they will be fully functional, strong and accurately made, unlike a 3D printed one. Or really all that is needed is a mill/drill machine that you can pick up at Harbor Freight for <$1000 to make a complete AR receiver from a block of aluminum. The point is the technology has been around for well over 120 years to make a fully automatic firearm-in fact it's easier to make an automatic than a semi.
Its requires a tad more than just walk into Harbor Freight and buy a mill and a chunk of aluminum. You would actually have to know what to do with it. I suppose you can pull the exact specks from the internet, but still far from easy.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:31 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Doesn't even take that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w2425WArrk

Old 04-03-2018, 02:32 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

BTW - While you are typing out your effort, also answer this question. If we are going to say young adults you cannot drink booze or buy guns, (presumably because they are not mature enough to act responsibly, and for their own safety), would you be in favor or restricting their right to drive a car, have an abortion, or to vote until they are 21 as well?
If not, why not?

`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, there is no grabbing of guns. The process is practically identical to today's carry license. I got one. No big deal. Once you have it, you can purchase and carry nation-wide.

If you think the current carry license is unconstitutional, then so be it. I don't think so. Most Americans agree with me on this issue. No one knows if they agree with you, since no one knows what your stance is, other than just oppose everything.
You are either disoriented or willfully making comments that make no sense. For starters I quoted myself on the area you either missed or don't want to answer.
So in case you missed it, your thoughts on restricting all young adults until they are 21 for most everything, like the examples I gave?

As to your CCW, while you might have one in FL, it hardly entitles you to to buy across state lines, much less nationwide just because you have a FL CCW. More importantly, and I say this in an effort to help you,

BEWARE

Your FL CCW does NOT allow you to carry nationwide. Some states that do not allow any type of carry will arrest you in a heart beat, such as NJ.
Even for states that allow carry, you must comply with their laws, even if it is one of the states that has reciprocity with FL.
For example, a state that allows open carry with a permit that recognizes your FL CCW, will still require to you open carry, but not concealed.

Needless to say many people who do not travel or that do not travel with firearms need not worry. However if you do, there is a hodgepodge of laws, restrictions, etc. that make it nearly impossible to remember unless you look it up for your intended destination.
Here is a website that purports to clear things up, but the waters are still muddied from most peoples perspectives.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

`

Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its requires a tad more than just walk into Harbor Freight and buy a mill and a chunk of aluminum. You would actually have to know what to do with it. I suppose you can pull the exact specks from the internet, but still far from easy.
Prints and cad models are readily available. Still it takes particular skills to operate a machine tool. Some people have those skills, some don't. Not so much different than 3D printing in that regard.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's from an 80% lower-I'm talking more about machining from scratch.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:26 PM

37,208 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
As usual you seem to miss the point of the thread if it does not align with your ideological bent.
Lets start with he did not buy firearms, presumably because he is not an American citizen, thus he he bought various parts to create a homemade gun.
For someone with the will and knowledge to do so, you cannot stop them from creating a gun from parts. At least you can agree with that, correct?
As to the level of ammo he had, keep in mind that many people buy large amounts of ammo for law abiding reasons.

This guy obviously had crime and evil in his heart, and was thankfully stopped. The same thing should have happened in FL with all the warning signs.

`
Giving lie to the assertion that you cannot buy a gun online.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Cute story-but you can't legally buy the parts to build a firearm "online", as most people think of it. The "receiver" of long guns or the frame of a handgun is serialized and can ONLY be sold new by a licensed FFL dealer. If you want to buy these parts you go to a dealer, fill out a 4473 and have a background check, the same as if buying a complete firearm. I've done it. The only way around it is if you machine the parts yourself-and unless you want to ban hacksaws, drill presses and files you aren't going to stop that.

As to the legality of him buying those parts-at 18 he can not legally purchase a handgun, regardless of nationality or residency. I'm not positive on someone in his situation buying firearms generally-I believe a legal "resident alien" can but am not positive. But no, you can not log on a web site and have an AR lower receiver or pistol frame sent to your home.

You CAN buy these parts (or complete firearms) online and have them shipped to a FFL in your area. In which case, again you go to the dealer, fill out a 4473 and have a background check done. No different than buying any other firearm from that dealer. Done that several times too.

Once again, the media is either ignorant or lying, or at best withholding the entire story.
All I know is what I read in the stories. Apparently he thought he could. This is why all mailorder sales of firearms components neds to come to an abrupt halt.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And something is very suspicious about this. One can not buy a lower receiver for the AR or AK, or a frame for the handgun without going thru an FFL. Regardless of purchasing it in person or online. Not to mention , he isn't a US citizen. I have an AR lower on order currently. I ordered it from the company, and it is getting shipped to the closest FFL. Then, even though I have a current CPL, I still have to fill out a 4473 and they call me into the NICS background check system.

He could have purchased an 80% lower for the AR, which requires a some machine work to complete. As far as the AK and the handgun... I don't think there are legal options like that available.

Someone broke the law selling him the lowers and or frame. This is not the legal norm.
He could certainly have wandered into one of the online forums and found someone to sell him whatever he wanted under the table. Or, he could have been trying to buy , say, a barrel, and when he went to get it he was offered other items as well. "Buying online" doesn't necessarily mean "bricks and mortar". In South Carolina where I live, a "private seller" can do as he pleases with no checks, no paperwork, and no questions asked. I know for a fact that ARs and parts are sold within ten miles of where I'm sitting every day, but it's all completely legal, and reporting it is futile.

I'm waiting to see what comes out about how he beat the system.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
You are either disoriented or willfully making comments that make no sense. For starters I quoted myself on the area you either missed or don't want to answer.
Correct. I have no intention of chasing every rabbit.

Since you have nothing to share, there is nothing else to talk about. I shared my proposal, and all you have is "no ,no, no, no" to everything. That attitude will become costly when Dems are back in power, because if nothing is done, they will do something which will leave a lot of people very unhappy, including myself.

Quote:
As to your CCW, while you might have one in FL, it hardly entitles you to to buy across state lines, much less nationwide just because you have a FL CCW. More importantly, and I say this in an effort to help you,
I made it clear my proposal would be a nation-wide license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies