Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 08:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,765,756 times

Advertisements

You actually don’t get it but that’s ok. Enjoy promoting vaccines. And proving the point about disease mongering. It’s alive and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You actually don’t get it but that’s ok. Enjoy promoting vaccines. And proving the point about disease mongering. It’s alive and well.
It's not disease mongering, it's prevention-of-disease mongering.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
Quote:
IMO, those pushing vaccines onto others feel exactly like some who wants you to have a personal relationship with God, all because you might be wrong better safe then sorry.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,765,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's not disease mongering, it's prevention-of-disease mongering.
No, not really, but whatever you want to tell yourself....

Old 07-13-2018, 01:01 AM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:

No, Suzy is not paid to post (apart from the $500 from CD for being a "Most Engaging Poster").

I really hope you aren't letting that go to your head because it doesn't mean that your words are any wiser or more true than others. "Engaging" simply means that people respond to you a lot.

As for your long replies to the other poster, you haven't read what she's been writing.

Let's put this another way, maybe you'll understand:

Back in the 60s, kids got the measles. They treated it like they got the flu.

In this day and age, there was hysteria over the measles and everyone was pushed to be vaccinated. There were even threads on this forum with people getting nasty towards those who wouldn't agree with vaccinating their kids for measles.

Remember that show "The Brady Bunch"? All of that was before my time, but there used to be a channel called 'Nick at Nite" where you could watch reruns of old shows. I distinctly remember the episode of the kids coming down with the measles and how they treated it like it was no big deal...meaning, they had to stay home from school of course, but no one was freaking out, panicking, and declaring that it was their death warrant being signed like they are today.

That is what Miss Terri has been saying. She NEVER said that HPV was made up, she said that people didn't freak the hell out about it back then like they do now. And there is a reason for that....the ads are pushing people to getting a vaccine for something they don't need a vaccine for, just like kids didn't get measles vaccines back in the day and it wasn't a huge production like it is now.

It's like now how they have everyone running out to get a flu shot every year because of fear mongering. Yes, you can get the flu. Yes, sometimes the flu can kill you. No, you don't actually have to get a flu shot. I've never had a flu shot. Do you know the last time I had the flu? When I was a child...not even into my teens. Do you know who gets the flu all the time? People I know who get the flu shot.

Stop trying to tell people that Big Pharma is not fear mongering when they most certainly are.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 AM

37,125 posts, read 41,316,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I really hope you aren't letting that go to your head because it doesn't mean that your words are any wiser or more true than others. "Engaging" simply means that people respond to you a lot.

As for your long replies to the other poster, you haven't read what she's been writing.

Let's put this another way, maybe you'll understand:

Back in the 60s, kids got the measles. They treated it like they got the flu.

In this day and age, there was hysteria over the measles and everyone was pushed to be vaccinated. There were even threads on this forum with people getting nasty towards those who wouldn't agree with vaccinating their kids for measles.

Remember that show "The Brady Bunch"? All of that was before my time, but there used to be a channel called 'Nick at Nite" where you could watch reruns of old shows. I distinctly remember the episode of the kids coming down with the measles and how they treated it like it was no big deal...meaning, they had to stay home from school of course, but no one was freaking out, panicking, and declaring that it was their death warrant being signed like they are today.

That is what Miss Terri has been saying. She NEVER said that HPV was made up, she said that people didn't freak the hell out about it back then like they do now. And there is a reason for that....the ads are pushing people to getting a vaccine for something they don't need a vaccine for, just like kids didn't get measles vaccines back in the day and it wasn't a huge production like it is now.

It's like now how they have everyone running out to get a flu shot every year because of fear mongering. Yes, you can get the flu. Yes, sometimes the flu can kill you. No, you don't actually have to get a flu shot. I've never had a flu shot. Do you know the last time I had the flu? When I was a child...not even into my teens. Do you know who gets the flu all the time? People I know who get the flu shot.

Stop trying to tell people that Big Pharma is not fear mongering when they most certainly are.
Oh, my little green $500 badge has not gone to my head, but I have not been paid a penny more than that for writing here, no matter how many times posters here insinuate that I have.

Yep, prior to the measles vaccine almost everybody got measles. One or two out of thousand who got it died. Many more had serious complications, including deafness from ear infections, pneumonia, and encephalitis. That is not "fearmongering". That is a baldfaced statement of fact. Since the vaccine was introduced measles has been eliminated from the entire western hemisphere. It only rears its ugly head if someone brings it here from a part of the world where the virus still circulates.

"The Brady Bunch" was fiction, a comedy show. It's hardly a representation of what real measles was like. Yes, measles is a big deal for those who had complications from it. That is why the vaccine was developed. If it was no big deal, no one would have expended the time and effort to come up with a vaccine.

Yes, people get frustrated with the anti-vax contingent, because by not vaccinating they increase the risk of larger outbreaks if someone does import measles here, witness the outbreak associated with the Disney park not so long ago. Herd immunity does exist, and is extremely important for measles, because the virus is so contagious. I suppose you would think it is no big deal if your unvaccinated child gave measles to a 6 month old baby, too young to be vaccinated, who died from it.

Ah, yes, the sixties. Roald Dahl, noted children's author wrote about measles. His daughter died from it in November, 1962. Olivia was seven years old. Note the title of his essay:

Measles: A dangerous illness.

November 1962 - death of Roald Dahl's daughter Olivia

The only people "freaking out" about HPV are the folks who do not want to use the vaccine and do not want it on the childhood schedule. You just need to get over it. The vaccine is safe and effective and it is here to stay. You see no "need" for the HPV vaccine. I beg to differ. HPV causes everything from genital warts that are hard to get rid of to cancer. There was a definite need for the vaccine, and its availability should be celebrated, not denigrated.

Whatever anecdotal experience your acquaintances have with the vaccine, it does not cause flu. The virus in the shots is dead. Deader than a doornail. It cannot infect anyone. Fever and muscle soreness after flu vaccine is not a flu infection. It is due to the immune response to the vaccine. I am happy you never get the flu. Most people who have had it tend to get the vaccine religiously afterward. Four thousand to thirty thousand deaths per year in the US means flu is not trivial. That is another baldfaced statement of fact. The vaccine is not 100% effective, but flu is so common that it prevents a lot of illness and some deaths. If someone who is vaccinated gets flu anyway, it tends to be less severe. I know an infectious disease expert who told me the vaccine keeps people out of his ICU and he is happy with that.

How about pediatric flu deaths:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...7-2018-n881381

"One more death was reported this week, making 172* child deaths reported for the 2017-18 flu season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. 'This number exceeds the 2012-2013 season, which previously set the record for the highest number of flu-related deaths in children reported during a single flu season (excluding pandemics),' the CDC said.

'Approximately 80 percent of these deaths occurred in children who had not received a flu vaccination this season.'”

*The reported number is now 176.

"Big Pharma" is not "fearmongering" when it tells the public the facts about a disease and the availability of a treatment, vaccine or otherwise, for it.

The "fearmongering" is done by anti-vaccinationists who blame vaccines for everything from autism to earthquakes and refuse to admit that we do indeed need the vaccines we have for children.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:02 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,510,292 times
Quote:
I used to think this. Had vaccines spread out for my kid because I listened to non-medical people rather than actual physicians. That her pediatrician actually put up with me is amazing. One day I was looking in the mirror and spotted my smallpox vaccine scar on my back and it came to me, they actually know what they're doing. Smallpox is eradicated. And that was a VERY deadly disease. What I don't like about you, MissTerri, is that you can choose for your children, yet there are children who for whatever reasons cannot take certain vaccines, they rely on your children not carrying disease. And you are NOT BASING YOUR DECISION ON SCIENCE.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:11 AM

919 posts, read 610,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You say you have an "open mind" your continual disparagement of all things related to evidence based medicine shows you have anything but an open mind.....

Open mind?? Are you kidding me?? You do nothing but attack conventional medicine at every opportunity....

Its funny whenever someone tells me they have an "open mind" it usually means the exact opposite, it means they believe some absolute nonsense and wonder why the average person doesn't "share that belief"
The medical profession is simply brilliant at surgery, repairing mangled bodies, replacing worn out joints & transplants as a few examples. But when it comes to treating disease however, modern medicine is far from brilliant. Rather than heal a disease, Dr's treat symptoms.
This is because Big pHarma has way too much influence, especially in Universities.

Over 19 years ago, I was diagnosed with Buergers disease. According to my surgeon & his medical texts, '100% of Buergers patients will suffer multiple amputations & death within 2-3 years from diagnosis.' There is no known conventional cure.

I was absolutely appalled at the dangerous pHarmaceuticals that I was prescribed while in hospital; Prednisone, Oxycontin, Epillim & an anti-depressant to name a few.
Epillim, an anti-epileptic, destroys the liver, has serious side-effects & sudden cessation can kill.
The Dr hadn't discussed any of these medications, the first I knew was when the nurse brought a fistful of new pills with my morning meds. The Dr was most upset that I dared question his brilliance. His reasoning for prescribing the anti-epileptic was that it "sometimes helps nerve pain." (And he gets a lovely holiday ... er should I say 'conference', at a ritzy resort for him & his family when he hits his quota) The anti-depressant was prescribed because 'Anyone diagnosed with a terminal disease suffers from depression.'
His reasoning for all the other drugs was equally ludicrous. They were throwing these dangerous drugs around like lollies.

When I left hospital, I did a lot of research & chose what I thought was a reasonable range of supplements & a couple of pHarmaceuticals.
A neuroma grew as a result of surgery, that caused excruciating nerve pain. Conventional medicine has nothing apart from the anti-epileptic drug that's not only dangerous but is ineffective.
A few pipes of cannabis at night eliminates up to 95% of the nerve pain. As it turns out, cannabis has an anti-inflammatory effect that has stopped my peripheral blood vessels from closing, stopping the progression of the disease. I'm illegally alive.

Three Buergers patients I'd met through the hospital, accepted the prescribed pHarmaceuticals without question. They all suffered multiple amputations & death within 2-3 years. I'm the only member of a Buergers support group because all the others are dead (All followed Dr's orders & died within 2-3 years)

Cannabis is an excellent example of the influence Big pHarma has on modern medicine.
Cannabis is an extremely safe & effective medicine. It's impossible to OD on cannabis. Unlike pHarmaceuticals, not a single person has died from using cannabis ever.
Cannabis treats so many diseases & conditions, without any dangerous side-effects. Cannabis was once the most widely prescribed medicine.
So why is it not available for Dr's to prescribe? Because it's a natural plant that Big pHarma can't patent.
Big pHarma KNOWS that cannabis is a powerful healing plant & know they'll lose profits if made available for prescription. It's already happening; in U.S. legal states, opiate prescriptions & deaths are down & Big pHarma is losing money.
Big pHarma has spent billions over the years, bribing politicians with 'political donations' to keep cannabis illegal & on anti-cannabis propaganda.

I've said for decades that the cholesterol hysteria was nonsense.
At first it was 'ALL cholesterol is bad'. When proven wrong they changed their tune & claimed there was 'good cholesterol & bad cholesterol'.
The statin drugs are a great earner for Big pHarma. Recent studies have proved that not only are statin drugs useless, but in some patients, statin drugs put them at higher risk of stroke or a heart attack. ( www.nexusmagazine.com )

And don't even get me started on the lucrative 'cancer research' business. They're not looking for a cure (Why they ignore researching natural cures) but rather, they're looking for a treatment. There's little profit in cure.

The tail is wagging the medical industry. If Big pHarma lost it's influence on conventional medicine, Dr's would be healing disease as brilliantly as they repair broken bodies.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I used to think this. Had vaccines spread out for my kid because I listened to non-medical people rather than actual physicians. That her pediatrician actually put up with me is amazing. One day I was looking in the mirror and spotted my smallpox vaccine scar on my back and it came to me, they actually know what they're doing. Smallpox is eradicated. And that was a VERY deadly disease. What I don't like about you, MissTerri, is that you can choose for your children, yet there are children who for whatever reasons cannot take certain vaccines, they rely on your children not carrying disease. And you are NOT BASING YOUR DECISION ON SCIENCE.
Spreading out the vaccines is not the same as not giving them. Goodness, we even spread out the vaccines we give to dogs and horses now. There are less side effects when the vaccines are given over a longer period of time. That is science.
Discussing which vaccines to give is a different ballgame than spreading them out. True for human, dog, and horse.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
I get it. You do not like vaccines. You do not like school vaccine mandates. The only way you can support your opinion that there should not be school vaccine mandates is to try to trivialize the diseases that vaccines prevent and try to persuade people that the vaccines, particularly newer vaccines are not necessary.

Well, flu is not trivial. It kills between 4,000 and 30,000 people in the US each year, depending on the severity of the season and the match between the vaccine and the circulating strains. Chickenpox is not trivial. It used to kill about 100 Americans each year. Hepatitis B is not trivial. It can cause liver cancer, and children who get hep B are at greater risk to become chronic carriers and at greater risk to develop that cancer. Finally, HPV is not trivial. Between 30,000 and 40,000 people per year in the US get HPV associated cancers. That is not "rare". It does not even include those who get warts, which can be devilishly hard (and painful) to get rid of. Those are facts, and if they are "scary" perhaps they should be. However, how is the news that all of those diseases can be prevented "scary"? It is the prevention that is being marketed, not the disease. That should be a reason to celebrate.

The narrative is not “your kid is probably going to get cancer”. It is now "your kid can take a vaccine that is almost 100% successful in preventing infections with nine (Gardasil 9) human papillomaviruses that can cause cancers at multiple sites in males and females."
I wouldnt use the flu vaccine as an example of a great vaccine. Esp considering the vaccine hasnt been effective in the last couple of yrs. a useless shot in the arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies