Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
Many of us have wondered the same thing - especially when someone, apparently, spends a good portion of their day and night posting non-stop. We’ve even seen posts that were entered in the middle of the night when we’re all sleeping - just to try and have the final word...
We all live in different time zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We all live in different time zones.
Thanks for the clarification...

Old 07-12-2018, 07:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They do. the government does it also. It's a real job where all you do is scan boards to post whatever agenda you are being paid to post.

And I have no doubts that yes, there is one in the CD health boards, who worships at the alter of big pharma as I have never ever ever seen a post that wasn't: Aren't drugs awesome? They are 100% safe, no one ever has any side effects, and everyone needs to take them. Oh, and doctors and hospitals never make mistakes. The patients cause all their own health problems. Anyone else would've left the boards by now. But day after day post after post after post, yep. $$$ to post.
That is very difficult to believe

Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't find it difficult to believe, I thought the same thing about a year ago at least.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 PM

"Paid shill" is the lamest of all insults.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Wow, Katarina! A PSA from 1972 which calmly reminds women to get cervical cancer screenings vs a modern day commercial which aired during the Super Bowl using guilt as a tactic to convince parents into getting a vaccine. I can totally see now that the promotion of paps is equal to the promotion of this vaccine. /sarcasm.
You personally do not like the vaccine being promoted because it is aimed at a pediatric age group and you are against any new vaccines being added to the pediatric schedule. You have not proved your argument that the vaccine was developed just to sell the vaccine. It was invented because HPV associated diseases are an important problem.

Quote:
If it wasn’t so funny it would be sad. She (apparently) sits on CD all day and, literally, googles constantly to find quick retorts to nearly EVERY health thread. She reads the content then spews it back at us until she exhausts a thread - claiming victory over all when, actually, we have just grown tired of her game...kinda like a kid who can’t stop playing monopoly even though everyone’s left the table.
Quote:
It makes one wonder if pharmaceutical companies pay people to promote and defend their products online. I would actually be surprised if they didn’t. It’s a fairly cheap and easy way of reaching people.

Not saying that anyone here is a paid poster, just generally speaking about this since it is related to the topic of the thread which has everything to do with marketing and disease mongering.
Quote:
OMG Suzy you are seriously in need of help. This is getting downright OCD!!!��
Quote:
They do. the government does it also. It's a real job where all you do is scan boards to post whatever agenda you are being paid to post.

And I have no doubts that yes, there is one in the CD health boards, who worships at the alter of big pharma as I have never ever ever seen a post that wasn't: Aren't drugs awesome? They are 100% safe, no one ever has any side effects, and everyone needs to take them. Oh, and doctors and hospitals never make mistakes. The patients cause all their own health problems. Anyone else would've left the boards by now. But day after day post after post after post, yep. $$$ to post.
No, Suzy is not paid to post (apart from the $500 from CD for being a "Most Engaging Poster").

It is hilarious that you guys have no way to rebut what I have said, so you resort to the Pharma Shill Gambit. That's weak debating, folks, very weak, as Katarina pointed out.

Yes, I post a lot. CD is a hobby. Yes, I post at odd hours. DH snores. I sleep when I can. What is really funny is that I am currently working full time at DH's office. I post in between my duties there. I am allowed to do so because I run the office.

Venice, I would appreciate a link to any of my posts that claim "[medications] are 100% safe, no one ever has any side effects, and everyone needs to take them. Oh, and doctors and hospitals never make mistakes. The patients cause all their own health problems."

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am glad, because it is not true. It would be great to get paid for writing here, but I do not. I would love to remodel my kitchen!

Quote:
Suzy and Katarina, I’m trying to stick to the topic. This is not a vaccine debate. It has to do with the way the disease (HPV) has been marketed now that a drug, in this case, a vaccine became available. My only motive is to discuss the topic at hand.
Sorry, Terri, you need to own that one. You brought up the vaccine. It is fair game to show that your argument that the vaccine was developed for an "invented" problem - the thesis of the OP - is not true. You seem to think you should get free rein to post misinformation about HPV and the vaccine against it. I don't think so.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Suzy and Katarina, I’m trying to stick to the topic. This is not a vaccine debate. It has to do with the way the disease (HPV) has been marketed now that a drug, in this case, a vaccine became available. My only motive is to discuss the topic at hand.
MissTerri, you are being very disingenuous. Your first post on this thread was anti-vaccine. You obviously want to discuss vaccines. . . until you don't.

Quote:
Another term for this is “disease mongering”.

I can see it where it’s become common practice to vaccinate every baby at birth for Hep B, something that is mostly transmitted via sharing needles and via unprotected sex. Hep B was not something that parents of infants or young children used to worry about but now that there is a vaccine, the fear is up.

I also see it in the marketing of the HPV vaccine. Most people will get HPV at one point or another during their lives and most people’s immune systems will clear the virus from the body without any intervention. Most women who get regular Pap smears will catch any changes caused by HPV early enough to treat, prior to it turning cancerous. Most people who get HPV associated cancers also have contributing risk factors such as smoking and drinking alcohol. Prior to the vaccine, there was not a huge fear over this but now that there is a vaccine, the fear is escalating. There are ad campaigns including commercials that utilize parental guilt in order to convince parents to get this vaccine.

Same for the flu vaccine. Same for the chicken pox vaccine. What used to not be a big deal, suddenly becomes a big deal when a drug is made and is available for marketing. Disease Mongering at it’s finest. I’m sure we’ll see some examples of it in response to this post by hobbyists or paid lobbyists, not sure which.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:

It's interesting from a couple of perspectives - One: There definitely are paid shills. It's a real job that "x" people have. And the implications are mind-boggling. Imagine if it was your job to indoctrinate the masses - such a power trip, for real. And also: Random people reading boards have no clue - they think they are chatting with "neighbors" or "regular people."

They have no idea that they (the regular people) are giving their opinions on subjects of interest, and that paid shills are responding to actually ARGUE and REBUT anything that does not promote their agendas. Normal people, when they share opinions, do not automatically attack other people's opinions of which they disagree. You might argue with people once in awhile, but not every single time you get online. It's funny that "they" think they are so undiscernible. That alone tells you that they think most people are just plain stupid and will accept that they are "regular people" at face value.

The smart thing to do would be for everyone to put them on "ignore." That would be hilarious.

I wonder how they are evaluated. Based on # of posts, # of arguments with people, other. It is somewhat fascinating, if there weren't so many kind of dumb people who could be hoodwinked by them (and that is their supposed purpose in posting - to "protect" the masses from what they say are "unscientific" opinions).

I don't hate many people, but they are on the more despicable side.

There is lots of evil in the world today - just crawling out of the woodwork at every turn. Money grubbers, unethical people and corporations whose god is filthy lucre.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Katarina and Suzy, I brought up these vaccines because they perfectly illustrate the point that this thread is based upon. The marketing of disease increases once a drug is available. It’s not so much an “inventing of disease” then an overinflating the scary aspects of a disease in order to sell a drug. Something that is not really a big deal suddenly becomes a major deal once the drug is available. It’s disease mongering and I gave examples of it.

Parents of infants didn’t have concerns about Hep B, until the vaccine came around and was pushed on infants in hospitals. People didn’t spend a lot of time fretting over HPV beyond promoting safe sex and paps but now that there is a vaccine the narrative has changed to, “your kid is probably going to get cancer”. Flu and chicken pox were not things that I recall people fearing, until the vaccines came along. These are examples relevant to the topic at hand which has to do with marketing. Just because a conversation mentions vaccines doesn’t mean it’s time for yet another vaccine debate. Aren’t there plenty of those elsewhere that you can get involved in?

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-12-2018 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Katarina and Suzy, I brought up these vaccines because they perfectly illustrate the point that this thread is based upon. The marketing of disease increases once a drug is available. It’s not so much an “inventing of disease” then an overinflating the scary aspects of a disease in order to sell a drug. Something that is not really a big deal suddenly becomes a major deal once the drug is available. It’s disease mongering and I gave examples of it.

Parents of infants didn’t have concerns about Hep B, until eh vaccine came around and was pushed on infants in hospitals. People didn’t spend a lot of time fretting over HPV beyond promoting safe sex and paps but now that there is a vaccine the narrative has changed to, “your kid is probably going to get cancer”. Fl and chicken pox were not things that I recall people fearing, until the vaccines came along. These are examples relevant to the topic at hand which has to do with marketing.
I get it. You do not like vaccines. You do not like school vaccine mandates. The only way you can support your opinion that there should not be school vaccine mandates is to try to trivialize the diseases that vaccines prevent and try to persuade people that the vaccines, particularly newer vaccines are not necessary.

Well, flu is not trivial. It kills between 4,000 and 30,000 people in the US each year, depending on the severity of the season and the match between the vaccine and the circulating strains. Chickenpox is not trivial. It used to kill about 100 Americans each year. Hepatitis B is not trivial. It can cause liver cancer, and children who get hep B are at greater risk to become chronic carriers and at greater risk to develop that cancer. Finally, HPV is not trivial. Between 30,000 and 40,000 people per year in the US get HPV associated cancers. That is not "rare". It does not even include those who get warts, which can be devilishly hard (and painful) to get rid of. Those are facts, and if they are "scary" perhaps they should be. However, how is the news that all of those diseases can be prevented "scary"? It is the prevention that is being marketed, not the disease. That should be a reason to celebrate.

The narrative is not “your kid is probably going to get cancer”. It is now "your kid can take a vaccine that is almost 100% successful in preventing infections with nine (Gardasil 9) human papillomaviruses that can cause cancers at multiple sites in males and females."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies