Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:28 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Property taxes is usually 3X to 4X higher in Texas compared to CA.
My tax rate is 2.6% but my home is probably 2-4 times cheaper than many areas of CA. Actually the $$ out of pocket would be about the same or lower since values are lower even with higher percentages.

Throw in CA State income Tax and CA is the really big winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
By the mid terms gas everywhere may be nearing $4.00 again. Yes, Trump will take the blame.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
I am always curious whether it’s just CA is overpriced in terms of gasoline or are some states just underpriced. Or both?

Some of these states pay the same if not lower pump prices than many poor Latin American countries or developing countries around the world.

I wonder What will happen if the whole country goes CA blend? I would guess CA’s gas would be cheaper. Though cheaper states would probably not get too expensive either as we would have an abundance of clean burning fuel.

Electricity is expensive as CA constantly wants to shut down traditional power plants to push renewable energy despite the fact demand is getting higher. The shut down of SONGs, which once produced large amounts of power for SoCal and the upcoming shutdown of Diablo Canyon nuclear plants had already caused electricity prices to skyrocket and is only going to get worse as Diablo Canyon is going to be decommissioned by 2020. They will need a lot of alternative power to fill in the void.

I am surprised though the media is amazingly quiet regarding the 2012 “energy crisis” as the result of the SONGs and the resulting electricity price spike. In comparison to the 2001 energy crisis. Consumers just quietly paid the higher prices and there was no widespread panic conservation measures. I am also amazed there wasn’t any blackouts or brownouts as result of the SONGs shutdown during periods of high demand.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
The state and local taxes affect the gas prices.

For accuracy you need to remove those to see what's what.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My tax rate is 2.6% but my home is probably 2-4 times cheaper than many areas of CA. Actually the $$ out of pocket would be about the same or lower since values are lower even with higher percentages.

Throw in CA State income Tax and CA is the really big winner.

In CA, there is high up front cost and low residual cost. In TX, it's the opposite.

Your 2.6% property tax rate is not capped; so your property is going to get re-assessed every so often and your tax is going to keep going up with market and inflation. In CA, our property tax is only allowed to be raised by 1% every year. There are long time residents living in $1 million house playing less than 0.1% property tax.

TX home insurance cost is the highest in the entire country.

TX maintenance cost is also amount the highest in the country because TX gets all kinds of disaster plus unbelievable foundation issues. (Which also explains the high insurance cost).

CA housing appreciates faster than TX.

Adds it all up over the life of 30 years. CA wins hands down.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Here's another fun fact: In liberal Colorado, residents on average spend only $53.97 for gas round trip to drive to a ski resort for a couple of days to hit the slopes. However, residents of conservative red state Oklahoma must spend an average of $382.99 at the pumps for just one round trip just to get to Aspen and back!

Oklahoma republicans need to clean up their act. The statistics don't lie!
That's a joke, right? Are you seriously comparing the gas cost to a destination for people nearby versus those far away, and making it a big political statement? What about people who only live, oh, let's say 20 miles from Aspen? Versus people who live in Broken Bow, OK? Support your figures with links, please, so the rest of us can see how you arrived at the "average" costs.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
https://www.bankrate.com/finance/tax...-by-state.aspx

/sigh
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
um. California uses a special blend to cut down on pollution. Apples and Oranges.
More like fruits and nuts.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:41 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
That's a joke, right? Are you seriously comparing the gas cost to a destination for people nearby versus those far away, and making it a big political statement? What about people who only live, oh, let's say 20 miles from Aspen? Versus people who live in Broken Bow, OK? Support your figures with links, please, so the rest of us can see how you arrived at the "average" costs.
BINGO! You win a trip to Aspen for two with free lift passes and lodging at one of Aspen's most exclusive ski lodges. DM me for the details.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:13 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Here's another fun fact: In liberal Colorado, residents on average spend only $53.97 for gas round trip to drive to a ski resort for a couple of days to hit the slopes. However, residents of conservative red state Oklahoma must spend an average of $382.99 at the pumps for just one round trip just to get to Aspen and back!

Oklahoma republicans need to clean up their act. The statistics don't lie!
Are you trying to be idiotic to make the point that driving farther uses more gasoline? Aspen sucks. A bunch of north easterners, and Californians trying to impress themselves. D bags all. Guess, you'd fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies