Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Because it's cheaper that way ? My typical range trip is 300-500 rounds (when I'm not rushed for time), do that 2 or 3 times a month and that 3000 isn't so much now is it ?

A typical advanced shooting course generally requires on to bring 1000-1500 rounds.
Go through a lot of rifle barrels then, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Depends.
We talking a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel? A stainless barrel? Or a cheap barrel?

Ammo and maintenance also is a factor.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:00 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
How many pistols/rifles/shotguns are being used?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Nope, rarely shoot them . And what i stated was when i was actively shooting. Sadly, haven't been to the range in over a year. And that is usually split between 4 guns.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Modern barrel manufacturing is light years from even 20 years ago. Long barrel life is normal.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You don't think it might be common sense to be cautious about products whose purpose is killing?
Is there evidence of background checks working?

Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
........So again: what is the problem here? What are ammunition-purchasers worried about?
Someone second guessing me to why I need to buy a case (1000-1250) of pistol ammunition a month, to why I need a case of rifle ammunition every 2 months.

Someone deciding to up my cost for my practice and training to being perfect, that I never miss when I shoot.

Look at it from the other side of the "reasonable" coin. I practice almost every week at the range. So far, I am not back up at my WW III surplus intensity of 100 rounds rifle/250 rounds pistol a week, but I'm getting there.

IF I AM MISSING, that means more range time, more practice time. Is it not reasonable that someone who shoots to be the best shot that they can be?

Now, bluntly, I am not so likely to see such a move, in the OP, as one of safety or security as I am to see it as another effort for civilian disarming. Sorry but I have long since stopped believing what they say for what they try to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So we might look into someone if they are buying massive quantities of ammo as that would be a red flag.
As it might be, as it might not be, and what is the definition of a massive quantity?

The Media might have people believe that 1600 rounds is massive
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...essed-1-a.html
but in my life, that's minor. There are those who do competitive shooting where, they say, they are required to show up at the match with a 1000 rounds.

So consider this, what is the ratio between the number of competitive and professional shooters, those who go through a lot of ammo quickly, to those who are getting ready to do a massacre?

I don't know those numbers but I would suspect that there are a lot on the side of the honest and they are multiples to those on the side of the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Why would someone order 3,000 rounds? That does seem excessive to me. (I don’t shoot, though, so maybe it’s not excessive.) I have no idea whether it should cause alarm for your neighbors because idk if you teach people how to shoot or if your hobby is shooting paper targets... or if you are a paranoid lunatic or have radical beliefs and violent tendencies. And unless you’re close to your neighbors, they don’t know, either. What do the neighbors often say on the news after a violent event? “Wow, he was a quiet guy, a good neighbor. Never caused any trouble.”

I’m going to assume that you had a logical reason for ordering so much ammo, but if the weirdo down the street who has threatened neighbors and maybe shot dogs who wander into his yard and who gets into loud fights with his wife and swears at the neighborhood kids who walk past his house ordered a big box of ammo, would you be concerned? What if he also had religious beliefs that you thought were extreme? Would you be concerned then?
A: Read what I said above about the ratios.

B: I'm expected not to miss. If I have to shot, wouldn't you want me to be perfect?

C: Another thing is that ammo is such a variable economic item, one is never sure about the supply of it. Political moves such as this one is just one of the things that make people worry if they will be able to get it. So they buy as much as they can when they can.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-19-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies