Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Disgusting, elitist, liberal/progressive HOGWASH. I expect this type of filth from The New Yorker, and the New York Times these days. Both ultra, far left propaganda rags.
Yet you would think said "rags" would convince Dan Cathy not to expand in NYC. But he would be a fool not to. Thousands of tourists. Millions of residents. It's a goldmine for any saavy businessman which he is. He can take any negativity in stride.

What they printed was an opinion. And Fox News is not moving out of NY for the same reason Chik is there. It's the largest market in the country for just about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man;51624174......From the article Forbes Magazine also reports QSR Magazine's 2017 sales report shows Chik-fil-A's average sales at an astounding $4.4 million per restaurant. That's $2 million more than McDonald's and $3.3 million more than KFC. [COLOR="Red"
Plus, unlike their competitors, Chick-fil-A is making those sales with one less workday. All of the company's restaurants are closed on Sundays. "

That's gotta have progressives crapping their panties in SJW outrage, lol

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Ugh, more like provincial, narrow minded, a bit of elitism. These, and more.
NY'ers can be VERY provincial in their thinking.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That's gotta have progressives crapping their panties in SJW outrage, lol
Chick Fil A is one of the most expensive 'fast food' restaurants.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have never heard of a single gay person being refused service at a Chick-Fil-A. That the owner has closely held religious beliefs that includes that marriage is between a man and a woman is really not that controversial. I disagree with it, but the Supreme Court ruled same-sex marriage constitutionally protected means it doesn’t matter what the owner of Chick-Fil-A believes because it’s not going to change. A church can refuse to hold a ceremony, but the state cannot refuse the marriage license.
Unlike bakers or photographers, there wasn't any gay person refused service at Chick-Fil-A. What happened was Chick-Fil-A founder's S. Truett Cathy had a foundation (WinShape Foundation) that donated to several anti-LGBT groups based on his religious beliefs, similar to the place being closed on Sundays. This was magnified when COO Dan Cathy made these comments:
Quote:
I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage". I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.
Quote:
"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized. "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
Now I have eaten at Chick-Fil-A before the controversy as it was on my college's campus and then didn't go for another three years after the controversy but the COO did apologize (I think mostly because of the backlash) and the organization stopped paying many of the anti-LGBT groups. The company is now warning stores not to let personal views effect the public perception.

As for the article itself, Chick-Fil-A is included but it is largly on fast food itself. IMHO, New York City has enough options fighting it out, and I haven't been there in some 12 years. I am a former Long Islander, but remember virtually having any fast food imaginable (at the time this Yankee never heard of Chick-Fil-A and only first encountered it closed on a Sunday in the Florida Mall.) The author knocked fast food in general, not Chick-Fil-A itself. It was just the newest company to stake roots. I'm sorry that you got offended by it.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...-new-york-city

I stumbled on this article today. What is wrong with these people? Chick-Fil-A is delicious. The stores are usually clean, and the employees are very nice. I don’t get it. Imagine an article like this for a kosher restaurant or a halal restaurant. It would be considered bigotry and hate speech, but apparently Christian bigotry is a-okay.

From the article:

“New York has taken to Chick-fil-A. One of the Manhattan locations estimates that it sells a sandwich every six seconds, and the company has announced plans to open as many as a dozen more storefronts in the city. And yet the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism. Its headquarters, in Atlanta, are adorned with Bible verses and a statue of Jesus washing a disciple’s feet. Its stores close on Sundays. Its C.E.O., Dan Cathy, has been accused of bigotry for using the company's charitable wing to fund anti-gay causes, including groups that oppose same-sex marriage. “We’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation,” he once said, “when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ ” The company has since reaffirmed its intention to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect,” but it has quietly continued to donate to anti-L.G.B.T. groups. When the first stand-alone New York location opened, in 2015, a throng of protesters appeared. When a location opened in a Queens mall, in 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed a boycott. No such controversy greeted the opening of this newest outpost. Chick-fil-A’s success here is a marketing coup. Its expansion raises questions about what we expect from our fast food, and to what extent a corporation can join a community.”

Thoughts?

They should not drink so much Starbuck's before writing an article, with so much virtue at stake.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The mental disorder known as liberalism, they're the biggest bigots in the country. They just can't stand seeing a wildly successful company run by Christians.

From the article:
the brand’s arrival here feels like an infiltration, in no small part because of its pervasive Christian traditionalism.

Really? Something traditionally American feels like an infiltration? What does that make New York? You wonder why people say liberals are anti American, here's another example. If it was a muslim company they'd be celebrating.
truth

Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Liberalism ... an oppositional thinking mental disorder exhibited by people who delusionally believe they tolerate and accept all ideas but spend most days protesting and trying to shut down just about everything.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Chick Fil A is one of the most expensive 'fast food' restaurants.
Then don't go there. Companies charge what the market will bear. Evidently, they have a superior product, and provide superior service.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yet you would think said "rags" would convince Dan Cathy not to expand in NYC. But he would be a fool not to. Thousands of tourists. Millions of residents. It's a goldmine for any saavy businessman which he is. He can take any negativity in stride.

What they printed was an opinion. And Fox News is not moving out of NY for the same reason Chik is there. It's the largest market in the country for just about everything.
The New Yorker, and New York Times are allowed to have their opinion, and I am allowed to have mine. My friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies