Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 02:30 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times

Advertisements

Suppose a person enters a gun dealer desiring to purchase a firearm.

He submits the documentation for the background check, but he "failed," whatever that looks like. (BTW, what DOES that look like? What does it mean to fail a background check?)

How and when does the attempting purchaser learn he's failed the background check? Immediately? Through the US Mail? Does a manager call him into a back room and have a "chat" with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 02:33 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

He submits the documentation for the background check, but he "failed," whatever that looks like. (BTW, what DOES that look like? What does it mean to fail a background check?)

How and when does the attempting purchaser learn he's failed the background check? Immediately? Through the US Mail? Does a manager call him into a back room and have a "chat" with him?
Its best not to question the government. The FBI is involved in the background check and remember they can lie to you but you can't lie to them. As we have seen recently they can lie to anyone including congress. They are above the law. You dear citizen are not.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:46 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
The form is form 4473: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download

The dealer calls in an nics check. Response can be an immediate approved, delayed, or an immediate no. No means the sale does not go through. It's rare there's any follow up by the government on denials. A person can appeal a denial if they believe it was wrong. In fact a significant portion of denials are false denials (the person is not prohibited).

Delayed means it's taking them some time. If nothing is heard within 3 days the sale can go through.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/a-nics-delay

Old 04-15-2018, 02:48 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
Being involved in the medical field as a Paramedic and a RN .... I have lost track of the number of background checks I have had.

Background checks are done for any number of reasons. Background checks can have a variety depth. It could be for a state, multiple states, national or I presume, international.

Weather you fail or not depends on what the person the requested the check is looking for. If you are a convicted felon or maybe have a marijuana possession back in 1969 may be pertinent or not.

A convicted criminal that spent more than a year in jail will fail a gun background check. Convicted of domestic violence will fail you. A dishonorable discharge from the military will fail you. There are others.

I am not sure a gun dealer will get much detail other than pass/fail.

A entity that is responsible for giving you some kind of professional license will probably get more detailed information. Depending on the entity and the reason, you may get an opportunity to petition or clarify details, which may or may not allow you to be licensed.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:52 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
I would imagine that the dealership notifies you and refunds any deposits made to purchase the firearm. Depending on the state, the customer probably receives a detailed hard-copy in the mail as well (much like a credit check)... but I'm not 100% sure.

You can actually go to your local county clerk's office and request a hard copy of your own criminal background history. They usually only charge between $10 and $20. I had to do that for a job offer a long time ago.

I think you can do it online too.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

You will get a proceed or denial. Or a hold.
Hold you have 72 hours to receive a proceed or denial.

Often times it is due to a mix up in identication.
Using your social security number greatly reduces this as does getting and using the FBI UPIN.

I've never been denied by using that.
Nor have I ever had a transaction be held or denied.
Even when I bought suppressors. Aka silencers. Just took over a year to receive my stamps and paperwork to give to my sheriff.

If someone failed a background check it's usually due to either
1. History of a crime be it a felony or misdemeanor that bars ownership of firearms.
2. A mix up in identification (common name like Joe Smith etc)
3. Is a fugitive
4. Has active warrants.

They are told immediately that they are denied or held. Proceed you walk out with your firearm.

Go to your local gun store and give it a try.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
What happens if you fail your background check?
You get to find out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried...cuz you'll be next to him.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:08 PM

39,873 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I'll add that in addition to either an instant approve or deny, or the 3-day delay on a hold, in many states you can buy with no NICS ("instant") background check if you have a concealed carry permit. Of course you already have to have a background check (including fingerprinting-at least in my state) to get a carry permit.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
What You Need to Know about Background Checks for Guns

Banned From Owning Guns, Many ‘Lie and Try’ to Buy Them Anyway. Few Are Punished for the Crime.

Quote:
Earlier this year, a man with an outstanding criminal warrant lied on a background check form in an attempt to buy a firearm at a gun shop in the small town of Pittston, Pennsylvania. What happened next is very rare in the U.S.: The man was arrested before he left the store.

Submitting false information on a background check is a felony under federal law, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. But as many as 160,000 people are denied a gun purchase each year because they failed a check. Few are ever apprehended, much less prosecuted. Available federal and state data suggest that the percentage of arrests as a proportion of denied sales is extremely low — likely in the single digits.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Yeah, the feds refuse to enforce the existing laws so calls for more laws are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies