Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM

34,302 posts, read 18,684,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She felt more comfortable having the police evaluate the situation. They are more qualified to do so. His rights weren't violated.
He was effectively DETAINED for no reason. Yes, his rights were violated. For however long it took to be questioned, he lost his freedom.

In PA, open carry is legal with no permit/license. In the City of Philadelphia who illegally imposed more restrictions, it is legal only if you have a valid PA concealed carry license (LTCF). While I have an LTCF, I never open carry, especially in Philly. They have a right to stop you, and ask fro your ID, and carry license if they see you Open Carrying due to their stupid law. Sometimes they WILL harass you over it. I know someone who won a lawsuit against the Philly PD over just this issue.

In the jurisdiction in question, there is no requirement to have a license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,191,477 times
Quote:
You are full of bs.

I am not reading anything into the t-shirt. I don't have an implicit bias. The woman in the story, which seems to be a made-up story, saw a shirt referencing children and guns, combined with a man carrying a gun, and she asked the police to evaluate whether a threat was present or not. The man's rights weren't violated at all.
Don’t waste your time with them.

Had this been a Muslim man, they would have no problem with the woman calling the police (see something, say something would apply).

They have no issue with cops being called on unarmed black men in Starbucks, but then it becomes a problem when it’s a white man who gets the cops on him.

Anyone who thinks it’s crazy that a mother called the cops on a man who has a gun in a public space with kids is not playing with a full deck and isn’t worth debating to begin with...

...especially given this particular demographic’s propensity to shoot up public spaces.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM

39,341 posts, read 27,744,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Had this been a Muslim man, they would have no problem with the woman calling the police (see something, say something would apply).

They have no issue with cops being called on unarmed black men in Starbucks, but then it becomes a problem when it’s a white man who gets the cops on him.

Anyone who thinks it’s crazy that a mother called the cops on a man who has a gun in a public space with kids is not playing with a full deck and isn’t worth debating to begin with...

...especially given this particular demographic’s propensity to shoot up public spaces.
In my opinion, one should be able to call the police for any reasons. The police can evaluate the situation.

Like I said, "see something, say something" should apply to all group of people. If there is no double standard, then there will be no problems.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 AM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Let me refer you to the Mulford Act of 1967, which was signed by then Governor Ronald Reagan.

"Governor Ronald Reagan, who was coincidentally present on the capitol lawn when the protesters arrived, later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act
Let me explain the difference between loaded and unloaded carry.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:22 AM

19,768 posts, read 12,335,610 times
Quote:
She felt more comfortable having the police evaluate the situation. They are more qualified to do so. His rights weren't violated.
What situation? There wasn't one until she created one.

It is wrong to waste police resources on nonsense.

There have been times when I did not like the looks of people and have left places. I did not call the police because I was uncomfortable.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM

1,081 posts, read 551,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Beep... Beep... drive by race-baiter. You can count on ATG5 to inject race into everything.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,960,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What situation? There wasn't one until she created one.

It is wrong to waste police resources on nonsense.

There have been times when I did not like the looks of people and have left places. I did not call the police because I was uncomfortable.
There was a situation. There is always a situation. You think she wasted police resources. Many people disagree with you. So sad.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,086,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Beep... Beep... drive by race-baiter. You can count on ATG5 to inject race into everything.
Sadly, along with a few others...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 AM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
There will always be chicken littles. We had someone call 911 on us, opening day of deer season. Wife had an orange hat on. CL's hiking in the back woods saw guns and called the Sheriff. Poor Sheriff still had to respond as they have to do on all calls.

That's right, opening day of deer hunting season some urban, mall dweller couldn't figure out why all these camo clad/orange people with guns were hunting.

How's the song go, "Thank God he made me this way".

Old 04-19-2018, 10:00 AM

20,842 posts, read 8,669,669 times
Concealed carry permits are generally very difficult to get in most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies