Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,179,332 times

Advertisements

When I hear about all the killings of innocent people all over the country by deranged individuals, important people in high places being convicted of fraud, milking the public for personal gain or company profit, saying things to embellish past lies, etc, I think that the morals in this country have hit bottom. I think that the present leaders of this country have made so many excuses for bad decisions that a lot of private citizens who have criminal intent feel like anything is justifiable and don't have to be held responsible for their actions because if the leaders can get away with lies, deception, and cover ups, then they can do whatever they want and not be held responsible.
Morals are in the person. Some have it and some don't. Some go with whatever they see and think they can get away with and think is the way of life from the top.
Is it a trickle down affect?
I don't know.
All I know is there seems to be more senseless crimes commited than ever before.
I'm not blaming Bush for the bad decisions of people who like to hurt others or be dishonest.
But it seems like it is a dog eat dog time in our society and the current administration has set an example of deceit and the hell with what is best for the country and the general populace.
I have been around for a few decades and I wish we could go back to when there was some caring for others and acceptance of responsibility for personal actions. Thankfully there are stilll those who are like that. But the percentage seems to be declining.
In my opinion George Bush has done more to harm our international image than anyone in history. It will take years, maybe decades to get back to being respected again as a world power who doesn't feel like it has to be the worlds chief of police.
I had no problem with going into Afghanistan to get bin laden.
In fact, my son was there for almost a year with the 10th Mountain Division out of Ft Drum.
I do have a problem with going into Irag. Finish the other job first.
It has only cost 4,000 American lives to go into a country that had " weapons of mass destruction" that we now know weren't there.
Was it worth all those lives to attack a country that really didn't have the capability or hadn't made a direct attack on our shores?
Get bin laden. Insane suddam hussein didn't attack us. bin laden did.
Guess I'm getting off topic so I'll close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,388,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
As the Bush years draw to a close, we can now safely reflect on his administration. So I would like to pose this question, do you feel U.S.A. is in a better moral position than it was 8 years ago? Do you feel "family values," are being upheld more?

I ask because the fight to bring back a sense of morality is what drove the Bush campaign in a lot of ways, and what drove much of middle america to vote for him twice. What are your thoughts?
hell to the nah

Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM

13,676 posts, read 20,816,033 times
So is the US a more moral country after 8 years of Bush?

I am going to go out on a limb and say, yes, absolutely.

Let me briefly explain. After 9/11, GWB had a 90% approval rate. That tells me that a lot of people here who are critical of Bush once supported him. Indeed. Despite Bush's early success against Afghanistan, people have grown very critical of his other moves. Most of us Americans think Iraq a mistake or find much discomfort with sanctioned torture. Many have criticized this administration's fiscal insanity or their stubborn attitudes.

These attitudes prevail to the extent that we are set to vote either one of two liberal Democrats or possibly a very moderate if not liberal Republican as President.

That is change. How moral is up to you.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,247,553 times
Good lord...no the country is not any more moral than it was 8 years ago.

It's in deep financial trouble, economic trouble, and the name United States of America now represents something completely different than it ever has in the past.

Bush is an oil man. Maybe he had good intentions, but this views on the world and reality are extremely skewed and distorted. I think the damage he's caused will take years to repair. Let alone how the world views our country, and now an increasing number of people in the US are starting to view what's going on here...

Bush is not a moral man, although he might believe he is inside. With the rise of the Christian conservatism, I see much more unmoral and hateful activities than I did 8 years ago. The few are trying to control the masses in actions and severity much more now than I saw in the 90's. Can't we just live and let live? Why is Bush so determined that this country must function as a Christian state? I'm sorry, but I'm not religious, and I'm tired of being persecuted because of that! I'm just trying to live my life and love my family!!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Razzle, if you don’t like the OP, then why participate in the thread? Quit chastising Bush would be an easy thing if he didn’t pretty well destroy our nation. As the "leader" what he does has an effect on us all. There's a clear indication that this person who calls himself "moral" is not.

There is the Supreme Court deciding an election; Enron; executive privilege; killing members of a sovereign nation and putting thing their heads on display; Abu Graib; Guantanamo; endless war; contempt for citizens; patriot act; destroyed economy; foreign relations; poverty; domestic agenda; tax breaks for the top 1%; health care costs; contempt for those less fortunate than the rich; outsourcing; job market; the dollar at an all time low; world standing; NCLF; etc. All based on Bush/Cheney/Rove’s vision for the US. It's not a pretty picture.

Clinton had someone perform oral sex.
Yeah, that’s a whole lot worse than what this administration did.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-27-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,746,561 times
More moral compared to what country. Iran, ?????I think we should all go Muslim and invoke SHRIA law in the USA The you would see about another morality.... But then you women couldn't complain could you? or drive or think or............

Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,970,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Clinton had someone perform oral sex.
Yeah, that’s a whole lot worse than what this administration did.
Yep...Clintons lack of action is what resulted in a lot of problems..hippie

Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM

20,365 posts, read 19,980,873 times
Would the country be more "moral" if Gore or Kerry been elected? If so, how so?

Same question if Obama or Clinton get elected?

I really don't get it, I have to admit.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,472,946 times
No it's not. We have a torture problem on our hands.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,702,929 times
Bush is responsible for many misdeeds but he had nothing to do with the decline of morals in this country. The American family has all but been replaced by single mothers raising bastards. These bastards grow up without the benefit of a father and manage to get to adulthood only to repeat the process. American men have become unresponsive to their duties as the father of their own child. I am not fixing blame on any single item, but the philosophy is "if you can get the milk for free why buy the cow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies