Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The Constitution states that one of the purposes of government is to promote the general welfare. The income tax was created as one way of helping to accomplish this. Since you are arguing from the position of someone in a higher tax bracket, Trump's tax cuts for the rich should be swelling your coffers. Yet still you complain. You'll have to excuse me but I'm fresh out of sympathy.
Promote, not to PROVIDE...huge difference. The income tax was established only to pay war expenses. Nothing to do with welfare.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Imagine having nearly half your earned income vanishing to the federal government before state and local taxes. Merely earning a large income should not mean having a car laeger percentage being taken out for taxes.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,252 times
Everyone should be angry about paying taxes that are then wasted on 40 million dollar gas stations in Afghanistan. Billions sent to Israel, Egypt and Palestine. Bridges to no where. turkeys like the F-35. We all should be outraged.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
A good moral, but unrealistic for many. Like the disabled.

The truly poor still pay some taxes. And they remain valuable as consumers.

I would not vote to change our Constitution on this.
The idea that you should get a say in managing the government when you are not supporting it by contributing the taxes on which it runs is a total non-starter.

If you're unfortunate and can't contribute, well then you're just unfortunate that you don't get to participate in governance either. So what? It isn't the end of the world. Your natural rights are not compromised merely because you are not willing or able to participate in a totally artificial political construct. You have not been deprived of anything. You haven't been taxed without representation, because you didn't pay any taxes.

That slogan is backwards...it SHOULD read, "No Representation without Taxation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it usually does. 70% chance they'll die poor.
True and poor people aren't poor because they don't have income - they are poor because they make poor choices and/or lack human capital , which they could then exchange for higher income.

And that isn't anyone's "fault" in a country that offers a free public education to everyone. If you are poor in America, and it isn't due to some unavoidable medical issue, then its because of something you did or something you didn't do. Nobody made you poor. The only person taking money out of your pocket is the government...so if you're poor and don't pay any taxes in the first place, who else is left to blame for what YOU don't have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Everyone should be angry about paying taxes that are then wasted on 40 million dollar gas stations in Afghanistan. Billions sent to Israel, Egypt and Palestine. Bridges to no where. turkeys like the F-35. We all should be outraged.
True.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:07 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If you are a low income earner, 10% tax hurts you a lot more than it does a millionaire. An $100 bill for a millionaire is like a penny to a lower income person.

We need the middle and lower classes to have more money because they are the ones who primarily buy things. If the middle and lower classes have less money, they spend less.

I think you just answered your own question. If you are living paycheck to paycheck, that means your entire paycheck goes towards living expenses. This is becoming more of a problem as living costs increase, but salaries remain stagnant.

Putting away $100/mo for an emergency fund is definitely a wise idea, but it certainly won't make someone rich.

Like I said earlier, that $100 is peanuts to a rich person, but for someone with lower income it's the difference between buying groceries and not eating.
People living paycheck to paycheck are typically doing so because they don't budget wisely. It isn't because "necessities" take all the money, it's because things like tobacco, alcohol, fast food, lottery, and other luxury items are perceived as necessities. Trying to argue otherwise shows a lack of knowledge about being poor.

Putting away $100/no won't make you rich, but it will make it far easier to become rich by giving you a buffer against unexpected emergencies.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No it isn't
Prove it. You know you are wrong and yet you still hold on to your evil ideology.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Prove it. You know you are wrong and yet you still hold on to your evil ideology.
I don't have to. It's common sense. Are any of us property of some slaver master? Do you get whipped if you don't pick cotton or plow a field? Do you live in a shack on the slavers property?

What's that? You answered no to all of these?

And FYI, calling me evil is a personal attack and libel

Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I don't have to. It's common sense. Are any of us property of some slaver master? Do you get whipped if you don't pick cotton or plow a field? Do you live in a shack on the slavers property?

What's that? You answered no to all of these?

And FYI, calling me evil is a personal attack and libel
If I refuse to pay for your lifestyle, I get put in prison. How is that not slavery?

I was calling your ideology evil. Whether a person holds an evil ideology is evil or not is common sense.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If I refuse to pay for your lifestyle, I get put in prison. How is that not slavery?
Why would you pay for my lifestyle? I work, and I don't get any government assistance.

Further, to your other point; why would you refuse to pay your taxes in the first place? That's what I don't get...

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Why would you pay for my lifestyle? I work, and I don't get any government assistance.

Further, to your other point; why would you refuse to pay your taxes in the first place? That's what I don't get...
About half of the people pay no federal income tax. They live on the back of those who pay.

That is slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies