Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 03:30 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2001 View Post
According the this DC news article, he did say that particular store had the policy of asking someone who is not a customer to leave followed by calling the cops.

wusa9.com | VERIFY: What
One thing I've learned from these various threads is that the culture of Starbucks/that Howard Schultz has tried to promote Starbucks as 'The Third Place'/etc.....is not as far reaching/well known as I thought it was. I thought it had become virtually ubiquitous. Plenty of normal people on some of these threads obviously have either never been to a Starbucks, or have never spent enough time inside one or more to get any feel for the culture of most Starbucks (not thinking inner city Starbucks). The most startling post to me was one where the person claims to patronize Starbucks 200 days a year (didn't say whether any 'other than purchase time' was spent or not), yet was obviously unaware of 'the point/any particulars about the general culture'.

The ultimate issue, to me, and to quite a few people posting in these various threads, isn't that Starbucks doesn't have the right to make different rules for different Starbucks stores......they do. But those policies need to be applied universally among different people.

The issue is that they don't have a right to make different policies for people of different races.

I'm not an attorney (and I haven't read through every page in all of these threads and followed all of the links) but logically, it seems to me, that any defense would have to include either claiming that zero people at that location have claimed that any white people were given the bathroom code without buying anything and used it without issue, or saying that some people have made that claim, but that all of those people are either liars or have memory recall issues.

Some people have mentioned on various threads that people who haven't purchased anything don't have the right to be upset about treatment. IMO, those people should read Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Amendment. The focus there is on the 'type of business/structure/how people are received' (for lack of a better way to put it).....no delineation re whether a person has made a purchase or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Not sure what the Starbucks crisis is from this situation.

The 2 gents in issue are not real estate agents. They're not the ''professionals'' that were portrayed in the media. Guess they were too old to still be ''honor roll students'' so they became innocent professionals being targeted by a Starbucks manager.

That manager made the right call on this one.

Mr. Rashone Nelson, 23, has (6) prior criminal cases with charges ranging from drug possession, operating a motor vehicle w/o permission, receiving stolen property, conspiracy to recv stolen property, probation violations, theft of property, theft of services (ironic).

The scariest of Mr. Nelson's criminal charges is the possession of a firearm in public w/o a license. He did time for this one I believe; he's currently on probation until at least 2021. Good thing they dropped the trespassing charges or Mr. Nelson may have been headed back to prison.

Nelson's on GMA this a.m. going on about fearing for his life when he encounters cops...lol. He should, especially when he's carrying a concealed unlicensed firearm.

Mr. Nelson shouldn't even be out on the streets let alone being a problem in a Starbucks.

Now these 2 are in ''arbitration'' for $$$ from Starbucks.

Do not support Starbucks.
Source?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Good lord, that's quite a rap sheet for a couple of young "professional" guys. Maybe they were meeting that other guy to set up some kind of shady deal.

Definitely not going back to Starbucks unless to use one of the fake coupons circulating. lol.
The ''meeting'' has been described by these guys as one that was ''going to change our lives''...lol. Of course it was so the narrative can read that white racism via Starbucks prevented these two victims from changing their lives.

Last edited by Kamms; 04-19-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 03:50 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
None of the Starbucks around here even have bathroom codes... anyone can use them. I guess that's why I have yet to hear of anyone around here (in what is arguably, "The South") being removed from a Starbucks for wanting to use the bathroom.
All of the Starbucks stores around here originally didn't come with bathroom codes on their restroom doors (stores put up 95' through maybe around 2000). It seems when the stores started to get refurbished, as all Starbucks stores get every 5 or so years, they started to install the keypads on the bathroom doors. But around maybe 2015 or so, seems they started to remove some of those keypads in locations that don't see a very high volume of homelessness. In San Francisco and neighboring communities, you will see the keypads on the bathroom doors. But 10, 15 or so miles outside of the "city" you start seeing bathroom doors at Starbucks without the keypad. That's so not fair to their employees who have to deal with cleaning that mess, more so the customers who go in and can't wipe their butts because the roll of butt wipe is completely drenched in urine, water, etc.

I can understand why they do it. I've spent hours in various Starbucks in San Francisco and the big problem is a homeless person will go in and be in there for half a hour or so. When they eventually leave the bathroom, its in complete disarray, including but not limited to standing water from wall to wall, smells like a pack of wet dogs were in there.

So I can understand why Starbucks puts the keypads on their bathroom doors. And if you're a paying customer, they will give you the code if you ask them. Hint: It's always the store number.

The other reason they do this is to try and prevent vandalism from occurring. Another reason I understand why they have the keypad on the doors.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Source?
It's all on-line...it's called public records.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
It is also routine when you are using a coffee shop for business related deals to purchase something.
I'm not one....but what about students? Students spend a significant amount of time in different Starbucks.

I've spent thousands of hours in somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 different stand alone Starbucks in 48 states. I've had many very short visits. I've had some 'many hour' visits and didn't order anything. I've also had long visits where I've had three meals there, spending over $20 over the course of the day. I've never been asked to purchase something or leave, nor asked to leave at all. The only times I've ever been approached at all have been gentle reminders that they are closing in 15 minutes or, a couple of times, bringing my wallet to me when I left it on the counter. The only issue I've ever had is not being believed that my same visit refill is a same visit refill. Because of that, I always ask for a receipt for the initial purchase, and the few times I've been challenged, I invited them to review their recorded tape to see that I haven't left the store, and that has resolved the issue.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are not giving the whole story, like their defiance and flippant speech to the police.

There should be no reason to post signs. Also, a Starbucks spokesperson said it is their policy to tell people to leave if they don't buy, and to call the police if they don't leave.
No they didn't. Why would you do this?

Old 04-19-2018, 04:30 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
So if you're white its Ok to Loiter
I get it

Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
So if you're white its Ok to Loiter
I get it
They got rid of all loiterers at this location, even the white ones.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
A lawyer speaking just now on my local tv news just said he thinks the settlement will be in the range of $1 Million each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies