Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 03:12 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,530,488 times

Advertisements

Sen. Martha McSally, a former fighter pilot, says she was raped while serving in the military - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
You notice that she took two decades to speak up, and only speaks up now after so many other women have made the path for her, and now that she has a major elective office (to which she wasn't elected).

Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
A former co-worker of mine was also in the military many years ago when she was raped. She still suffers from PTSD from it, 16 years later.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You notice that she took two decades to speak up, and only speaks up now after so many other women have made the path for her, and now that she has a major elective office (to which she wasn't elected).
I don't find this off. Let's face it, for years they wouldn't do much if it was reported, much like the normal world, rape allegations just went away for superiors. The problem with the military was up until about 4/5 years ago, the military didn't take rape cases seriously. I don't want to say it is, but it was that way. Luckily military rape is now taken seriously. Took them long enough.

What I disagree with is how McSally as a Senate nominee handled Trump in light of the Ford allegations. McSally had two different rapes. Up until today she only talked about an assault by a high school coach though I am not at all surprised by her saying she was raped in the military. I find it just a little bit of typical selling out to have Trump who attacked people who didn't open up about being raped until years later and McSally was one.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:50 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Thats what 'me too' is teaching all the young girls...its best to wait until its popular or the right time, to speak up, even if that means staying silent for decades.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
So you are now blaming the victim for being a victim? Shame on you. It still takes a tremendous amount of courage for woman to come forward and tell their stories.

I have a dear friend who was raped while in the military, about 40 years ago. (I am one of only a couple of folks who know about it..) She didn't report it then (or any other time) because she knew that reporting would only make her life worse.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats what 'me too' is teaching all the young girls...its best to wait until its popular or the right time, to speak up, even if that means staying silent for decades.
If that was what you got out of #MeToo you'll never understand it because you don't care to. Imagine your daughter or wife or sister being raped and telling it don't matter, your rapist is safe. This happened with the military and a lot of coheresed situations like Weinstein too. Then if they have a sliver of a chance and it goes to court, her sexual history is now fair game. Any post or joke with her friend that "Vanessa wants D" is used to show that she wanted to have relations with that man or she knowingly had relations to advance her career when she might be blackballed otherwise due to being "hard to work with."

Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
So you are now blaming the victim for being a victim? Shame on you. It still takes a tremendous amount of courage for woman to come forward and tell their stories.

I have a dear friend who was raped while in the military, about 40 years ago. (I am one of only a couple of folks who know about it..) She didn't report it then (or any other time) because she knew that reporting would only make her life worse.
You mean like the right did with Dr. Ford? I believe McSally was raped by a superior in the military, it was common problem but I question her not defending Ford because she came out against a Supreme Court Justice pick that McSally sided with and Trump who is fairly similar to the type of man who raped her. The main difference with Trump is we know he'd pay hush money so who knows how many potential rapes he paid off...

Old 03-07-2019, 06:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
I hope she reports the name to the military. If the guy is still in he needs to be knocked down a couple of pegs.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Don't forget she will be running again next year. She underperformed among suburban women which accounts for her loss to Sinema. She is getting a lot of free air time on the media in Arizona. Nothing like trying to gin up some em/sympathy for 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies