Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:29 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How are additional petri dishes and agar procured? Who pays for that?

And while you may think there's no set limit on USD (aka, print more at will), Zimbabwe (and others, e.g., 3rd Century AD Rome, Weimar Germany, etc.) thought the same thing. How'd that turn out?
Petri dishes and agar are simply resources. There is no limit on how much can be created if needed by the country at large.

These resources can be paid for by tax money or new money created centrally, assuming federal management.

Zimbabwe has no productive capacity, no reliability of safe and secure gov't or rule of law. So they use USD, the safest and most secure money in the world.

Weimar lost their productive capacity and were bankrupted, having to pay war reparations in currency they were not sovereign in. USD's would have worked, but they didn't have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:31 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
The tax cuts, out of control spending is intentionally blowing up our deficits so that within a year or so Congress will determine the only solution is to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The “entitlements” the GOP despises. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans have not saved for retirement, will not be able to afford health care and even moderate cuts to these programs will further perpetuate the “haves” and the “have nots”.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The tax cuts, out of control spending is intentionally blowing up our deficits so that within a year or so Congress will determine the only solution is to cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. The “entitlements” the GOP despises. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans have not saved for retirement, will not be able to afford health care and even moderate cuts to these programs will further perpetuate the “haves” and the “have nots”.
I would suggest that we vote for federal representation that does not support such cuts.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
QE's were not moneys placed directly into the economy. On the contrary most of QE still sit as excess bank reserves.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/EXCSRESNS
What happened to the $2 trillion created to buy the F&F MBS? Who got that money? F&F doesn't have $2 trillion worth of bank reserves. Not even close. In fact, in 2008, they had close to zero capital reserves. That's why they had a public $187 billion bailout and then the extra $2 trillion back door Federal Reserve bailout that few even know about. F&F used that cash infusion to pay out as expected on the $4 trillion worth of their MBS held by other investors. (As F&F MBS are perceived to be guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the U.S., their investors have to be paid.)

Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve can just hold that $2 trillion worth of F&F MBS, let it roll off their H.4.1 as they mature, paid or not, and it's no skin off their nose because they never actually used their own money to buy them. They just printed money out of thin air like Zimbabwe and Weimar Germany did when they needed more money.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What happened to the $2 trillion created to buy the F&F MBS? Who got that money? F&F doesn't have $2 trillion worth of bank reserves. Not even close. In fact, in 2008, they had close to zero capital reserves. That's why they had a public $187 billion bailout and then the extra $2 trillion back door Federal Reserve bailout that few even know about. F&F used that cash infusion to pay out as expected on the $4 trillion worth of their MBS held by other investors. (As F&F MBS are perceived to be guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the U.S., their investors have to be paid.)

Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve can just hold that $2 trillion worth of F&F MBS, let it roll off their H.4.1 as they mature, paid or not, and it's no skin off their nose because they never actually used their own money to buy them. They just printed money out of thin air like Zimbabwe and Weimar Germany did when they needed more money.
The graph. The bulk of the money still sits as reserves.

The Fed printed money more like the EU, China, Japan and most other successful modern monetarily sovereign nations. Not like the desperation/failed states Zimbabwe or Weimar.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:53 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Great argument there.

"Since we have always been involved in activities that result in atrocities to children, we should continue to do so. In fact, let's start doing to our own children what we have been doing to children everywhere else."

It goes to show how devoid of common sense so many of conservative's responses are. Like:

"Well, Bill Clinton had an affair with one of his staffers, so it's okay that Trump runs around with prostitutes and whores."

You can't see anything past your own partisan blinders, and this has the effect of eroding your credibility with moderate and independent voters.

I shouldn't have to point out to you that morality and integrity are the foundations of any civilized society.

It is wrong to harm innocent children. Period. Full stop. No "buts" will change this.

The republican party has a very long way to go before it becomes the right hand of God. Conversely, the Democratic party is not exactly the right hand of God either.

Why is it so incredibly difficult for conservatives to understand this basic moral fact?
1.) I am not a conservative.

2.) I am not a conservative.

3.) I am not a conservative.

4.) I am not a conservative.

5.) I am not a conservative.

6.) I am not a conservative.

7.) I am not a conservative.

8.) I am not a conservative.

9.) I am not a conservative.

10.) I am not a conservative.

Why I Am an Anarcho-Capitalist

Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That's only a concern when a D occupies the Whitehouse. Didn't you get the memo?
Not to libertarians it's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj9KHJRRUbQ

Rand Paul Is Right About the Debt Crisis | The National Interest

Old 04-18-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Petri dishes and agar are simply resources. There is no limit on how much can be created if needed by the country at large.
Production or procurement costs money. Who pays? The U.S. spends $1+ trillion/year on means-tested public assistance programs, $600 billion for Medicaid, alone. Who pays?

Quote:
These resources can be paid for by tax money or new money created centrally, assuming federal management.
Created money injected into the economy causes inflation. When abused, hyperinflation. You're describing a snake eating it's own tail scenario.

The only time created money doesn't cause inflation under normal circumstances (i.e., not a deflationary spiral) is when it's NOT used to pay off debt obligations (such as MBS, etc.) or to procure goods/services.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The graph. The bulk of the money still sits as reserves.
Show me the $1.76 trillion worth of reserves on F&Fs books.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban prog sophisticate View Post
This was almost all done by Republicans. Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, and now Trump. Clinton had a balanced budget. Obama famously vowed to cut the debt, but COULD NOT DO SO solely because Bush had left such an economic mess.

The first thing we need to do is elect a Democratic majority in the Congress on Nov. 6. They will surely get right to work on this.
Clinton had a GOP Congress for 6 years. Bush and Obama had Democratic Congresses for 2 years.

Debt growth and deficit spending is a cancer on both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies